Page 197 of 198 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 1977

Thread: It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    It's funny, the more I discuss this movie with others, the more I decide it was worse than I thought.

I'd drop it to a 4.75 out of 10, given the fact they had 14 years to come up with something far superior to this.
    What did you mean by the "18-month delay"?

It's funny, the more I discuss this movie with others, the more I decide it was worse than I thought.

I'd drop it to a 4.75 out of 10, given the fact they had 14 years to come up with something far superior to this.
    Yeah it definitely should have been better, but I was a bit more generous with my 6/10 rating.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    What did you mean by the "18-month delay"?
    It was supposed to be released in March 2020, but was delayed by covid a few times until it finally came out last week.

Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

And despite the long length, my kids liked it and didn't get too fidgety.

I'd give it a 7.25 out of 10.

Journeyman
    Saw King Richard today, the movie about how Serena and Venus Williams became tennis prodigies due to the efforts of their father. I was impressed. Considerably better than I was expecting. AFterwards I wanted to see how many of the events in the movie actually happened. Turns out that most everything did, including Richard getting severely beaten by street thugs and him later going after them w a gun. The 2 actresses that played the young Venus and Serena had never played tennis before the movie but looked pretty convincing to me as tennis players. The Williams sisters not only supported the movie but also were 2 of its producers. No word yet on how Richard reacted to it. I wouldnt call it a great movie but I thought is was very well done and quite worthwhile seeing. And if "The Green Book" can win a Oscar, then I think this movie will get serious consideration for a nomination at least.

Hall of Famer
    Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

And despite the long length, my kids liked it and didn't get too fidgety.

I'd give it a 7.25 out of 10.
    Mrs. Gregg and I watched it. I think we are in agreement with most of your comments.

I enjoyed some of the throw back stuff and references.

Something I thought was humorous. My 10 year old Grandson came over with about 25 minutes to go in the movie. About 10 minutes into this he said Bond is too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Mrs. Gregg and I watched it. I think we are in agreement with most of your comments.

I enjoyed some of the throw back stuff and references.

Something I thought was humorous. My 10 year old Grandson came over with about 25 minutes to go in the movie. About 10 minutes into this he said Bond is too old.
    My 9-year old is suddenly big into Bond flicks. He started watching Dr. No by himself this week (and I can't imagine this nearly 60-year old flick keeping his attention) and we watched 'Live and Let Die' together Saturday night. He's even starting to know the order of the movies, lol. That's my boy!

My 9-year old is suddenly big into Bond flicks. He started watching Dr. No by himself this week (and I can't imagine this nearly 60-year old flick keeping his attention) and we watched 'Live and Let Die' together Saturday night. He's even starting to know the order of the movies, lol. That's my boy!
    I can't wait to hear how you answer "Dad, why is that woman's name Pussy Galore?"
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    I can't wait to hear how you answer "Dad, why is that woman's name Pussy Galore?"
    She has a lot of cats.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Or "Dr. Holly Goodhead".
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."