It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    What?! I am shocked as well. One and Two were so so much better.
    I think people who liked it assume that it leaned into the absurdity on purpose. They are okay with the escalation of the character arc to absurd levels is fun/purposeful self-parody. I don't really agree with that. I agree it jumped the shark. I have that same problem with lots of works though--you start off with a super bad-ass character, and sometimes you up it so much, it just gets silly. In fact, a great example of that is the show from which the phrase "jumping the shark" came from. The Fonz started off as a cool side character, but he got built up so much, it just got absurd.

Comment

• Returning my dvd copy along with my man card... I really enjoyed What Men Want. It's the spiritual sequel to What Women Want, the Mel Gibson-Helen Hunt rom-com.

It's a mostly black cast, and a totally dumb popcorn flick, but I loved it. The dumb mens' thoughts made me laugh my ass off.

Wifey only thought it was okay, so perhaps I'm on an island with this one.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Returning my dvd copy along with my man card... I really enjoyed What Men Want. It's the spiritual sequel to What Women Want, the Mel Gibson-Helen Hunt rom-com.

It's a mostly black cast, and a totally dumb popcorn flick, but I loved it. The dumb mens' thoughts made me laugh my ass off.

Wifey only thought it was okay, so perhaps I'm on an island with this one.

If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. Life is too fucking short to worry about what other people think of your choices. Keep your man card.
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
          If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. Life is too fucking short to worry about what other people think of your choices. Keep your man card.
          I agree.

I also think that I better expect some good natured teasing if I chose to share it on a Fantasy Baseball site. So if you girls want to enjoy chick flicks I will tease you about your man card...as soon as I am done practicing my Dirty Dancing steps.

Comment

I agree.

I also think that I better expect some good natured teasing if I chose to share it on a Fantasy Baseball site. So if you girls want to enjoy chick flicks I will tease you about your man card...as soon as I am done practicing my Dirty Dancing steps.
            Are we allowed to have man cards in 2019? Shouldn't it be "card which aligns most closely with the stereotypical traits associated with individuals who identify as cisgender male"?

Comment

I agree.

That's it. Turn in your man card.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Are we allowed to have man cards in 2019? Shouldn't it be "card which aligns most closely with the stereotypical traits associated with individuals who identify as cisgender male"?
                Man card is just one option. You can have whatever card you want.

Comment

fine - give me your credit card then.

Comment

• If you like the Boss, you'll enjoy Western Stars.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I choose the Ace of Spades.

Now you can call me Ace.

Comment

I choose the Ace of Spades.

Now you can call me Ace.
                        No, we call you ReRay

Comment

fine - give me your credit card then.
                          What are you going to do with 19 cents worth of credit?

Comment

What are you going to do with 19 cents worth of credit?
                            Buy you a wedding present

Comment

Buy you a wedding present
                              Nicely played.

Comment

• I'm so excited to see the new Terminator movie today with my dad. I still remember taking the bus across town to the theatre with him to see Terminator 2 in the summer of 1991. Pretty special getting to see the "spiritual sequel" to T2 together. In the summer of '91, my dad was 29 and I was 8. Now my dad is 57, and I'm 36. It feels like I watched T2 a thousand times growing up, so much so that I find the director's cut jarring. My sister and I used to have songs we would sing along to it.

It's awesome, because I remember talking about the Terminator franchise about a decade ago with a friend, and dreaming on "wouldn't it be amazing... if James Cameron got the rights to the series back... and he ignored all the crappy sequels in between... and he convinced his ex-wife, Linda Hamilton to come back... and it's basically the real T3... and it lives up to the first 2 movies?" I'm so happy they're granting all of my fanboy wishes! Hope I haven't set my expectations too high.

For the record, I have a soft spot for the actual T3, especially the surprise nuclear bomb ending. And lots of people hate that one, so maybe my personal infatuation with the series will override the middling reviews it seems to have garnered. But I also quite enjoyed the Robocop remake from a few years back on first watch, based on pure nostalgia. So maybe I'm just kind of an easy mark with these movies.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X