It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    In spite of BL have the acting skills and personality of a wet paper bag, I thought the movie was ok, maybe even slightly above average. I only went because the kids were at the grandparents and we had some free time. But yeah, Wonder Woman was far far better.
    The first half of the movie, I was thinking the whole time "Brie Larson can't act." She was the weak link in the entire movie, IMHO.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I am curious if any of you have seen this movie (like it or not). I had never heard of it. My wife found it. It is based on Stephen Kings work which I had never heard of either.
      I prefer Carla in "Sin City"
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I am curious if any of you have seen this movie (like it or not). I had never heard of it. My wife found it. It is based on Stephen Kings work which I had never heard of either.
        I saw it recently and read the book many years ago. I liked it.

If you liked this, have you seen the Hulu mini-series 11/22/63?

Comment

You do not have enough >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          Gal Gadot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bri Larson

Comment

• Is it pronounced

Ga- dot

Or

Ga- dough
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Is it pronounced

Ga- dot

Or

Ga- dough
              I assumed the latter.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Is it pronounced

Ga- dot

Or

Ga- dough
                I thought the latter for a long time. It actually has a hard t on the end. Ga-dought

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  The first half of the movie, I was thinking the whole time "Brie Larson can't act." She was the weak link in the entire movie, IMHO.
                  yeah I had the same thought. Every time she was on screen it was very distracting because during the movie I'm thinking that they should have found someone who could act. Supposedly there were lots of other actresses who were interested. Even the cat did a better job. The rest of the entire cast, except maybe freakishly de-aged Coulson, is much better at acting.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Yep, saw it and it was decent, but the book was much better, one of my favorite King novels actually.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Academy award winning Brie Larson can't act?

But yeah, she's not the greatest choice to be a superhero. All the best ones have to have a certain amount of charisma (Iron Man, Thor, Starlord) and that's not really her game. My wife was super psyched to see it so I agreed to come along and 20 minutes into it I was afraid I would have to put on the fakest smile afterwards. Luckily, things turned around after that and I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Comment

• BTW, for those not afraid of subtitles, Burning from last year was quite exceelent.

It's a South Korean movie about a love triangle between a kid from the country, an ugly duckling from his childhood who turns into a swan, and the rich asshole (Glen from the Walking Dead!) she meets after she reconnects with her old friend. It doesn't use the usual love triangle tropes and keeps you guessing the whole time. At first blush I wasn't thrilled with the ending but after discussing it with the person who highly recommended it to me I was thoroughly satisfied.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          Academy award winning Brie Larson can't act?

But yeah, she's not the greatest choice to be a superhero. All the best ones have to have a certain amount of charisma (Iron Man, Thor, Starlord) and that's not really her game. My wife was super psyched to see it so I agreed to come along and 20 minutes into it I was afraid I would have to put on the fakest smile afterwards. Luckily, things turned around after that and I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
                          yeah maybe that's it. All I know is she was not the right choice for the role. Or perhaps the writers could have created a more compelling character. Quite a few names on this list would have done better I think. https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-w.../jacob-shelton

Cate Blanchett probably would have been good, too bad they already used her.
                          Last edited by cardboardbox; 03-16-2019, 10:34 AM.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Maybe she CAN act, but she wasn't ACTING in Captain Marvel.

Comment

I was unaware that she won an Oscar until after I saw the movie. I still say she was the weak link in the entire movie. I am planning on a second viewing. Maybe I'll feel differently then.

Comment

• maybe her character was meant to be sort of stiff on purpose due to the role she was playing. WW grew up sort of endeared to everything and had an optimistic outlook in general. Carol Danvers had a more soldiers view. actually WW had that too though. maybe it's because WW was always a god or demigod while Captain Marvel went from human to superhero. so that's a pretty big leap in abilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X