It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Watched Nobody with my wife and youngest adult daughter. We all had a good time.

Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) played the lead. He was worth the price of admission all by himself.

Great action with some dark humor. I like to watch movies to be entertained and this certainly was entertaining.

This will be one of those movies that I will stop on when channel surfing.
    Saw this on a plane
    Thought it was very well done
    Exceelent for sure
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Are you speaking in haiku?
      I believe I am
      Required format I believe
      Maybe I am wrong?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• We watched Val last night.

If you are a Kilmer fan it is an emotional rollercoaster ride.

It is not a feel good movie, but it sure is interesting.

I do recommend it. I may watch it again with my daughter who is at the front end of her own acting career. I think there are lessons to be learned. I also would like to hear her perspective on it.

Comment

• Cry Macho = Cry Stinko

Actually, I have no idea. I gave up on it after 30 minutes, just after some hottie threw herself at the 175 year old Clint Eastwood.

Comment

• "White Heat"

James Cagney can be the most terrifying actor in history. In this movie and "Public Enemy", his character is downright scary.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              "White Heat"

James Cagney can be the most terrifying actor in history. In this movie and "Public Enemy", his character is downright scary.
              Two Exceelent movies to be sure.

Comment

• Finally saw “The Many Saints of Newark” last night after an 18-month delay. Total Meh-ness. The entire plot revolved around Christopher’s dad and his former henchman, and while many of the Sopranos characters were quite unique during the series, some of these prequel counterparts resembled annoying caricatures -- especially Silvio Dante. Besides providing for some Mad Men-ish historical backdrops, I'm not sure what the race riots of Newark in 1967 had to do with this story at all, and not sure why they made the Harold character a major plot focus, as he obviously never appeared in The Sopranos at all.

The final plot twist basically said to the viewer that the previous two hours were a waste of time. And quite frankly, I for one don't see how the telling of these events "made" Tony Soprano into the crime boss he was.

5.5 out of 10.

Comment

• "House on Haunted Hill" - starting the Halloween horror fest.

I love these B&W movies. While not really scary, the atmosphere is fantastic!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Mrs. Gregg and I watched Halloween Party last night.

We had a blast! Sleeper of the season so far. Honestly, we think the reviewers just needed to be snooty on this one. Low budget, but great acting on the lead characters. Has a good creep factor.

Well worth the hour and thirty five minutes spent. Oh and for our added enjoyment we had a real thunder storm pass through booming at just the right times.

Comment

Finally saw “The Many Saints of Newark” last night after an 18-month delay. Total Meh-ness. The entire plot revolved around Christopher’s dad and his former henchman, and while many of the Sopranos characters were quite unique during the series, some of these prequel counterparts resembled annoying caricatures -- especially Silvio Dante. Besides providing for some Mad Men-ish historical backdrops, I'm not sure what the race riots of Newark in 1967 had to do with this story at all, and not sure why they made the Harold character a major plot focus, as he obviously never appeared in The Sopranos at all.

The final plot twist basically said to the viewer that the previous two hours were a waste of time. And quite frankly, I for one don't see how the telling of these events "made" Tony Soprano into the crime boss he was.

5.5 out of 10.
                      It's funny, the more I discuss this movie with others, the more I decide it was worse than I thought.

I'd drop it to a 4.75 out of 10, given the fact they had 14 years to come up with something far superior to this.

Comment

It's funny, the more I discuss this movie with others, the more I decide it was worse than I thought.

I'd drop it to a 4.75 out of 10, given the fact they had 14 years to come up with something far superior to this.
                        What did you mean by the "18-month delay"?

Comment

Yeah it definitely should have been better, but I was a bit more generous with my 6/10 rating.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            What did you mean by the "18-month delay"?
                            It was supposed to be released in March 2020, but was delayed by covid a few times until it finally came out last week.

Comment

• Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

And despite the long length, my kids liked it and didn't get too fidgety.

I'd give it a 7.25 out of 10.

Comment

• Saw King Richard today, the movie about how Serena and Venus Williams became tennis prodigies due to the efforts of their father. I was impressed. Considerably better than I was expecting. AFterwards I wanted to see how many of the events in the movie actually happened. Turns out that most everything did, including Richard getting severely beaten by street thugs and him later going after them w a gun. The 2 actresses that played the young Venus and Serena had never played tennis before the movie but looked pretty convincing to me as tennis players. The Williams sisters not only supported the movie but also were 2 of its producers. No word yet on how Richard reacted to it. I wouldnt call it a great movie but I thought is was very well done and quite worthwhile seeing. And if "The Green Book" can win a Oscar, then I think this movie will get serious consideration for a nomination at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X