It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Solo was pretty incredible.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Free Solo was pretty incredible.
      I wish the Solo movie was free when I saw it.

Comment

• Demands money back lividly

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          If there is a movie more disturbing than Bone Tomahawk, I do not want to watch it.
          movies I saw as a kid:
          Watership Down (it had 3 sequels?!)
          Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version)
          The Planet of the Apes sequels

No joke - I have not had a McDonald's fruit pie since seeing Body Snatchers.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
            movies I saw as a kid:
            Watership Down (it had 3 sequels?!)
            Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version)
            The Planet of the Apes sequels

No joke - I have not had a McDonald's fruit pie since seeing Body Snatchers.

via GIPHY

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I wish the Solo movie was free when I saw it.
              It's free now on Netflix. I was warned that it's still overpriced.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• The 39 Steps

Hitchcock.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• A few I've seen recently:

Silence - Scorcese's overlong love song to 17th century missionaries trying to spread the word in Japan. At nearly 3 hours it was a true slog, especially since the same themes were repeated over and over - totally not worth the time.

Unsane - found out after watching it that it was all filmed on an iPhone 7 or something (you couldn't tell). Fairly typical Law & Order SVU type stuff stretched to feature length, it was fairly entertaining but not essential.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - loved the first two stories, didn't really like the third one, fourth was okay, fifth was pretty good, and sixth was just okay. Gotta say, the switching up of stories kept things fresh and overall I enjoyed it.

Hunter Killer - whenever I visit my parents I'm always prone to seeing some brainless action movie. Honestly, I appreciate it since it keeps me grounded from the (sometimes boring) art house fare I generally gravitate towards. This one was definitely not a keeper but it did keep me entertained throughout and it was kinda nice to laugh at some of the shitty dialogue.

Mid-90s - gotta admit, I'm right in the sweet spot of their demographic for this one. While I didn't grow up in SoCal, I've lived here for the last 20 years and either way it matches up pretty well with my timeline. Even though my group of friends wasn't nearly as cool as these ne'er do wells, it was fun to live vicariously through their foibles.

First Man - interesting look into the first landing on the moon. Instead of making it a truly fluffy look at the two guys who made it up they decided to take a little darker look at the project. Turned out to be a pretty fascinating story although I kinda missed having it be a sterilized story

Comment

• Silence - thought it was interesting, but ultimately seemed to contradict itself with that ending. Wasn't sure what to make of it, and wasn't compelled to watch it again any time soon.

First Man - really liked this. More of a personal examination with the moon landing as a backdrop. Don't know if it got award season nominations, but it deserved them.

... Then again, Bradley Cooper's Director Oscar snub was unconscionable. Wonderfully directed and composed Oscar bait movie.

Comment

• Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. The actors who played the band were all great! The set recreation for the Live Aid Concert was incredible! The Bluray extras were just as enjoyable as the movie itself. And of course i loved the soundtrack!

It makes me want to see a Queen tribute band.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. The actors who played the band were all great! The set recreation for the Live Aid Concert was incredible! The Bluray extras were just as enjoyable as the movie itself. And of course i loved the soundtrack!

It makes me want to see a Queen tribute band.
                        Ha, just saw it tonight as well. Amazing! Rami Malek WAS Freddie Mercury! If he doesn’t win Best Actor it would be insane.

Honestly, the worst part of the movie was the Mike Myers scene. Yeah, we get it, you rocked out to Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne’s World. But it just wasn’t needed in a really great movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Ha, just saw it tonight as well. Amazing! Rami Malek WAS Freddie Mercury! If he doesn’t win Best Actor it would be insane.

Honestly, the worst part of the movie was the Mike Myers scene. Yeah, we get it, you rocked out to Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne’s World. But it just wasn’t needed in a really great movie.
                          And the dude who played Brian May! Wow!
                          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Just watched it today as well. Pretty standard music biopic fare - the music’s fun, Malek did an amazing job, but overall nothing special. They focused a bit too much on the sycophant/manager and the parties they threw and such - would’ve liked to focus more on how their style of music came together but I’m also a music nerd.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              Just watched it today as well. Pretty standard music biopic fare - the music’s fun, Malek did an amazing job, but overall nothing special. They focused a bit too much on the sycophant/manager and the parties they threw and such - would’ve liked to focus more on how their style of music came together but I’m also a music nerd.
                              I admit I enjoyed it. The two things that bothered me: 1) Did they really treat John Deacon as poorly as they showed in the movie? Kidding around is one thing, but man, no wonder he retired. 2) I would have been interested in seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff from when they were doing their albums after Live Aid.

Hard to be two bummed out after all the Queen music in the movie, though.
                              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                                Hard to be two bummed out after all the Queen music in the movie, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X