No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i will say in a way in movies it's all how you make an entrance. Wonder Woman's entrance with Batman. before you found out who she was you were like, WHO IS THIS WOMAN MESSING WITH BATMAN! when she was trying to get her WWII picture back. and Batman was smart enough to let her. WW really had a great entrance into the DCU.

..and this whole Thanatos thing and Avenger 4 thing. and Nick Fury messaging her. Marvel seems to have really put themselves out on a limb with her. but at the same time, Ms Marvel can't be showing up all the other heroes in the MCU.

Spoiler!

that spoiler was something i didn't know.
    Last edited by ; 03-17-2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• superhero stuff.
      Last edited by ; 03-17-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• We just watched the Netflix movie Triple Frontier. Exceelent movie!

On the edge of our seats for most of it.

Comment

• I like gangster movies. I like old period piece movies that are beautifully filmed.

The Highwaymen fit the bill for a nice Sunday night movie. Kevin Costner gained some weight to play Frank Hamer the old Texas Ranger that took down Bonnie and Clyde.

It was nice seeing the law's side of things going after the famous killers of the 30's. Enjoyed everything about this one. Netflix is on fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I like gangster movies. I like old period piece movies that are beautifully filmed.

The Highwaymen fit the bill for a nice Sunday night movie. Kevin Costner gained some weight to play Frank Hamer the old Texas Ranger that took down Bonnie and Clyde.

It was nice seeing the law's side of things going after the famous killers of the 30's. Enjoyed everything about this one. Netflix is on fire.
            I mentioned it in passing in another post, but have you seen Hell or High Water? One of the best movies of the last decade IMO.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I mentioned it in passing in another post, but have you seen Hell or High Water? One of the best movies of the last decade IMO.
              I very much enjoyed Hell or High Water.

I think I put Highwaymen one tick above it. Which is high praise for both movies.

Comment

I watched Hell or High Water from your recommendation and you were right it was really good. also watched Triple Frontier and enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I very much enjoyed Hell or High Water.

I think I put Highwaymen one tick above it. Which is high praise for both movies.
                  Wow, will definitely have to check that out then.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    I watched Hell or High Water from your recommendation and you were right it was really good. also watched Triple Frontier and enjoyed it.
                    Glad you enjoyed it!
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Wow, will definitely have to check that out then.
                      I will be interested in your thoughts on it.

Comment

• Just watched "The Highwaymen" as well, and it was enjoyable to see a gangster movie from the standpoint of the cops. I think they intentionally didn't show Bonnie or Clyde's face until the penultimate scene.

Also recently saw two Oscar contenders:
                        A Star is Born -- meh. Bradley Cooper must have taken lessons from his co-star Sam Elliott for his portrayal of Jackson Maine, and while Lady Gaga was OK, she was certainly better when singing than acting. I'm also surprised Elliott landed a Best Supporting Actor nod, as he was only in it for a few scenes.

Vice -- really, really disappointing. Bale was great as Dick Cheney, but the problem was the role of Dick Cheney was not really leading character material. Plus, the direction of the film was poor, with characters breaking the 4th wall, and some other hokey gadgets pop up as well. Additionally, the story was very anti-Bush/Cheney. Overall, I'd give it 1 1/2 stars out of 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Just watched "The Highwaymen" as well, and it was enjoyable to see a gangster movie from the standpoint of the cops. I think they intentionally didn't show Bonnie or Clyde's face until the penultimate scene.

A Star is Born -- meh. Bradley Cooper must have taken lessons from his co-star Sam Elliott for his portrayal of Jackson Maine, and while Lady Gaga was OK, she was certainly better when singing than acting. I'm also surprised Elliott landed a Best Supporting Actor nod, as he was only in it for a few scenes.
                          Watched Highway man... it was good but felt rushed and under-developed. Maybe I'm spoiled by 6 part series on Netflix

I've seen interviews where Cooper said he was imitating Elliott when he was developing his character... he "played" his character for Elliott and it's what got him to sign on in the roll of big brother for the movie.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            I sure didn't see many good films in 2017.

I missed most (all?) the action blockbusters.

I finally watched one of last year's supposedly "best films" and thought it was garbage. Hell Or High Water is one of the worst and dumbest apologies to middle America that I've ever witnessed. I think my taste is changing, or maybe it was something specific about this film... I've never enjoyed films with scummy protagonists so much... I've never watched the original Bad Lieutenant for example, because it just doesn't interest me, watching a scumbag cop and his goings-on (although I did enjoy the Nic Cage spiritual sequel)... I'm just weird like that I guess.
                            This is more offensive than any of your political rants.

Coco was great though.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

This is more offensive than any of your political rants.
                              Harvey agrees.....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                Watched Highway man... it was good but felt rushed and under-developed. Maybe I'm spoiled by 6 part series on Netflix

I've seen interviews where Cooper said he was imitating Elliott when he was developing his character... he "played" his character for Elliott and it's what got him to sign on in the roll of big brother for the movie.
                                What six-part series?

In the last week saw:

Stan & Ollie -- Really well cast. Like unbelievably well cast. But besides marveling at how well the actors portrayed their real-life counterparts -- maybe even resurrected them, they were that good -- the actual movie was on the boring side. Too bad. If the movie was really good, both Michael C. Reilly and Steve Coogan would be up for Oscars. They still might be.

Captain Marvel -- the day started out with me and my boys going to see The Avengers, arriving 90 minutes early for a 1pm show, but even that was not enough and it was sold out. So we settled on Captain Marvel, which was very good, but not the "great" I expect from the Marvel Universe. Brie Larson was really good, but it was a little unnerving to see a CGI'd up Samuel L. Jackson & Clark Gregg 20 years younger than they are for literally the entire movie. Good story, good plot, good actors — yep, it was very good. Just not great.

Comment

Working...
                                X