It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Saw Need for Speed last night. Omigod, what a dumb movie. There's really nothing worse when a big budget flick needs you to suspend virtually all reality to make it work. Let's see:
    - it doesn't seem as if anyone works (well, except for one guy who, upon being re-recruited to the team, strips naked in his office and walks out)
    - the cops are either non-existent or rubes
    - things such as traffic cameras don't exist in this world
    - apparently neither do cell phones, because no innocent bystander calls the police
    - an incredibly successful race car driver and business owner puts everything on the line to win an illegal street race
    - the creator of said street race seems to be able to tap in to the "internet" (which the police seem to have never heard of) and find these street cameras that the police can't seem to

I still managed to watch the whole movie (and my 7-year old said he can't wait for the next one), so what do I know.
    It's as if you've never seen a Michael Bay movie

Comment

• It's also based on a video game (not quite sure how) so I doubt they worried about such things.

Comment

• The animation in Box Trolls is jaw-dropping. And it has the coolest post-credits scene.
        Can be a little too scary in parts for real little ones.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Wow, just saw The Railway Man. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Comment

• awesome critique of David Fincher's work here

David Fincher - And the Other Way is Wrong from Tony Zhou on Vimeo.

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw 'Equalizer' this weekend. I liked the movie, pretty violent and lots of language but Denzel is awesome as always. Remake of the '80s(?) tv series so no big surprises in the plot or outcome. As I walked out I saw a couple with their two kids that couldn't have been over 10. No way would I take young kids to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                Saw 'Equalizer' this weekend. I liked the movie, pretty violent and lots of language but Denzel is awesome as always. Remake of the '80s(?) tv series so no big surprises in the plot or outcome. As I walked out I saw a couple with their two kids that couldn't have been over 10. No way would I take young kids to see it.
                The Equalizer was one of my favorite shows as a kid. It aired from '84-'87 or so, smack dab in the middle of crime-ridden 1980s NYC.

Comment

Saw 'Equalizer' this weekend. I liked the movie, pretty violent and lots of language but Denzel is awesome as always. Remake of the '80s(?) tv series so no big surprises in the plot or outcome. As I walked out I saw a couple with their two kids that couldn't have been over 10. No way would I take young kids to see it.
                  Yeah, The Equalizer was one of my favourite 80's TV shows, along with Hill Street Blues and Cheers. Looking forward to this ... has Denzel ever been bad in a movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The Equalizer was one of my favorite shows as a kid. It aired from '84-'87 or so, smack dab in the middle of crime-ridden 1980s NYC.
                    I loved the sweet Stuart Copeland soundtrack...
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Good movie. I didn't watch the show in the 80's so I had no point of reference. Saw the previews about a month ago and was looking forward to seeing it. I was not disappointed. Left room for a sequel (I hope).

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        Dana Gould (standup comedian, Simpsons writer) on why he's obsessed with the original "Planet of the Apes":
                        "It's Moses dressed as Tarzan being chased by King Kong dressed as Fonzi"
                        Dana Gould is my second favorite comedian at the moment. His podcast (monthly) is a can't miss. He had on my #1 comedian this month - Patton Oswalt. Two nerds talking about nerd things.

Gould's obsession with Planet of the Apes is pretty awesome. He even lives (or lived in since he's recently divorced) Roddy McDowell's old house.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                          The animation in Box Trolls is jaw-dropping. And it has the coolest post-credits scene.
                          Can be a little too scary in parts for real little ones.
                          Thanks for this. I really want to see it but thought it would be a bi too scary for my 3 year old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                            Thanks for this. I really want to see it but thought it would be a bi too scary for my 3 year old.
                            My daughter took my 3.5 year old grandson to see it. He liked it, but at one point it got so slow that he wanted to leave. They took a potty break and he asked to go back. He has since stated that he would like to see it again.

My daughter on the other hand did not like it very much. Said it was a bit creepy and one of her favorite movies is Nightmare before Christmas. The creepy part went over my grandson's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                              Dana Gould is my second favorite comedian at the moment. His podcast (monthly) is a can't miss. He had on my #1 comedian this month - Patton Oswalt. Two nerds talking about nerd things.

Gould's obsession with Planet of the Apes is pretty awesome. He even lives (or lived in since he's recently divorced) Roddy McDowell's old house.
                              Gould was married to Roddy McDowell??!

Comment

Finally got around to seeing The Equalizer. Reminded me of those late 80's hero-action-thrillers: simple story, Russian bad guys, regular folk, industrial back drops, old style diners, trashy looking hookers. Would like to see more of these kinds of movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X