No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been listening to the "Rewatchables" over on the ringer... gone through most of them now. A panel reviews old movies and talks about what they like, dislike, what still works, what's aged... errr... I'm doing it a disservice. Mostly it's just entertaining and funny.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      Been listening to the "Rewatchables" over on the ringer... gone through most of them now. A panel reviews old movies and talks about what they like, dislike, what still works, what's aged... errr... I'm doing it a disservice. Mostly it's just entertaining and funny.

https://www.theringer.com/the-rewatchables
      " old movies". Hahaha. I thought you meant movies from the 30's-50's!!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        " old movies". Hahaha. I thought you meant movies from the 30's-50's!!
        Ha... sorry, I meant not current in theater reviews.

It's a lot of Bill Simmons, so you're millage may vary depending on how much of him you can take (I enjoy him).
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• A Star is Born pretty solid 7.5/10 because the final third dragged a bit
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• it's not easy to find decent scifi movies. saw (2016) 5th wave. it got bad reviews but i give it a thumbs up. good acting, 55 million to make. aliens invade earth and the hunger games and divergent crowd meets red dawn and the invasion.

Comment

• Comprehensive reviews:

First Man - Exceelent

A Star Is Born
              - Exceelent (was very surprised). Bradley Cooper - writer, director(debut!), actor - nailed all 3 roles.

Comment

• Tried watching a ton of horror movies for the month, but only managed about 12. Highlights were Revenge, a simple tale of a woman abused and left for dead taking... vengeance. Seen it before many times, but there's enough twists to make it feel fresh. Loved Upgrade. Upgrade has a lot of fun sci fi elements, super cool ending. Fave horror movie of the season.

Also cannot say enough good things about Sorry To Bother You. It's a crazy story dark comedy in the vein of Brazil. Avoid spoilers. I'm really glad I knew nothing going in.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I watched "The Prestige" and "Children of Men" this weekend, highly recommend if you have never seen either
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Saw "On the Basis of Sex" last night at a film festival. It doesn't come out until Christmas so maybe I'll post a reminder then, but it was fantastic.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I watched "The Prestige" and "Children of Men" this weekend, highly recommend if you have never seen either
                      "The Prestige" is one of my favorite movies. Watching David Bowie in the role of Nikola Tesla was a nice surprise in a movie full of surprises. I'll have to look for the other movie.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• i finally watched the movie The Survivalist 2015. that's a fucked up movie. i don't even know what i'd compare it to. it's kind of DayZ-like but minus the zombies. it's like The Road but minus the cannibalism. not a lot of graphic violence, but it's a harsh flick.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          i finally watched the movie The Survivalist 2015. that's a fucked up movie. i don't even know what i'd compare it to. it's kind of DayZ-like but minus the zombies. it's like The Road but minus the cannibalism. not a lot of graphic violence, but it's a harsh flick.
                          Australian, right?
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            Australian, right?
                            United Kingdom 1 million budget. i watched it 3-4 days ago but im still trying to process it. in the apocalyptic world that the movie portrayed, the writing or the script it was just so accurate. i think. it's a raw movie. looks sort of Australian.

Comment

• Green Book was phenomenal, best movie of the year IMO.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Green Book was phenomenal, best movie of the year IMO.
                                Very glad to read this.

I think we will check it out this next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X