No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the names...will send in 2 minutes.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

sending numbers now
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Draft Order:

1 Bryanbutler
        2 Lucky
        3 Fresno Bob
        4 Erik
        5 JonCarlos
        6 Johnny
        7 Pogues
        8 DMT
        9 Stephen
        10 Senorsheep

-------------------------------------

Rules:

12 Rounds, no restrictions.

-------------------------------------

Late Entrants:

If someone else wants in we can use Rule 15 from here (VD Rule for late Entrants) ... a bit OTT for a sports bar draft, but it'll avoid any hassle.

15. We usually accept late entrants up until the end of Round 1. In such circumstances, the new participant will pick last in the first round. We will then do a double blind to randomly determine where they will draft for every consequent round - e.g. Joe Bloggs wants to join after pick 1.05. For the first round he picks last: 1.12. We then do a double blind to determine which slot Joe will draft from round 2 on-wards. This way there is no first round advantage, and the draft order is still random.

Comment

Pogues
          Fresno Bob
          Senorsheep
          Erik
          Bryanbutler
          Stephen
          Lucky
          JonCarlos
          DMT
          Johnny

That's the order I gave to Johnny...I assume he or Fresno will post the number order given.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post

That's the order I gave to Johnny...I assume he or Fresno will post the number order given.
            You shoulda been a lawyer

7 3 10 4 1 9 2 5 8 6

Comment

Last again? It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Meh, no biggie in this draft. There's no clear consensus on what the five best REM songs are, and there's probably not as much separation between Their Best and The Rest as there is with other bands' repertoires. My favorite songs are ones you guys probably wouldn't even consider until the 6th round, anyway, so I'll pick for my own enjoyment and be happy. Shiny, and happy.
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

A little scary for me at #2, since for me there is one song, and then the rest. But what are the odds? Based upon the festival draft, I'd say 99%.

Comment

I don't think my top 2 would fall in the Top 5 for most people, but you guys are music snobs too so I could be wrong.

Comment

I'm just glad I'm not #3 again, or I might end up taking When Doves Cry.

Comment

do we have a separate draft thread?

ETA: d'oh! my thread updates are all foo-bar'ed, and it's often marking threads that i haven't looked at as read, so i didn't see the thread. posting momentarily.
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

radio free europe is no longer my favorite R.E.M. song, but it was the one that hooked me on them. i went to university in the fall of 1983, and the first time i heard this song at a party i was blown away. i found the guy that was playing the music and borrowed the tape from him, and that was it. there are other songs i like more now, but this is a tip-of-the-hat to the one that sold me on the band from athens GA.

"Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I may be in way too deep on this one. 10 drafters, 12 songs each...120 songs. I'm finding on wiki 124 songs?? I don't know their catalogue that well...not even close.

EDIT: Nevermind...at least the number of songs thing...I see there are many more than 124. I was wondering how they had about the same number of songs as The Pogues.
                          Last edited by Pogues; 04-17-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            I'm just glad I'm not #3 again, or I might end up taking When Doves Cry.
                            3 sucks for REM, they are so deep, I wish I was 8 or lower....I'm trying to decide if I take my favorite song, or the one that made me fall in love with REM in the first place...
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Country Feedback and Man On The Moon would have been in strong consideration. I would have probably been tactical and tried to skip Country Feedback for the way back, but it is my favourite REM song. It has a special place because it's one of the songs I played incessantly when I was first learning to play guitar. That repeating circular chord structure with all the key open chords is great. Still no idea what the song is about, and kinda don't want to know.

Comment

I just woke up. Pick up in a minute. I wanted one of two songs in the first round. Radio Free Europe was one, and happily the other is still there.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X