Strategies for daily leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Until otherwise noted, the best strategy is start any pitcher vs. the Astros.
    Can Joe Saunders keep it up tomorrow? That is a tough one to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
      Can Joe Saunders keep it up tomorrow? That is a tough one to buy.
      Yeah, damn. Saunders then Maurer.

Comment

Yeah, damn. Saunders then Maurer.
        I think I will be going against the Buccos and taking Cahill tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
          I think I will be going against the Buccos and taking Cahill tomorrow.
          I went with Saunders in my initial lineup for tomorrow, but it will likely change by then.

Comment

I went with Saunders in my initial lineup for tomorrow, but it will likely change by then.
            You are a braver man than I.

Comment

Frae and revo, considering the amount of knowledge you have of fantasy baseball, and playing that 50/50 or 'double up' format, where do you think you have a better chance of winning, in a small group of say, 10 people, or a bigger group of say 50 or more? I would say it's probably the same odds, but then again maybe not?

Comment

Originally posted by jeimon View Post
                Frae and revo, considering the amount of knowledge you have of fantasy baseball, and playing that 50/50 or 'double up' format, where do you think you have a better chance of winning, in a small group of say, 10 people, or a bigger group of say 50 or more? I would say it's probably the same odds, but then again maybe not?
                I'm finding the larger Double Up groups are better -- more chances of playing against people who don't know what the heck they're doing! But keep in mind in the 50/50, 50% of teams win. In the Double Up, it's 40%.

Some recent findings:
                - check the weather!!! I lost 3 players to rainouts yesterday (stupidly), and finished 11th by a single point in a 20-team Double Up.
                - sometimes it's better to pay more money for a better starter than take a shot with a cheap, yet bad, starter vs. a bad team (Hello, Brandon Maurer!)

Comment

Ed-Are you playing multiple games each day? Same lineups across the board?

And yes, Maurer stunk it up; I won that day, but he sure didn't help.

I'm finding the larger Double Up groups are better -- more chances of playing against people who don't know what the heck they're doing! But keep in mind in the 50/50, 50% of teams win. In the Double Up, it's 40%.

Some recent findings:
                  - check the weather!!! I lost 3 players to rainouts yesterday (stupidly), and finished 11th by a single point in a 20-team Double Up.
                  - sometimes it's better to pay more money for a better starter than take a shot with a cheap, yet bad, starter vs. a bad team (Hello, Brandon Maurer!)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                    Ed-Are you playing multiple games each day? Same lineups across the board?

And yes, Maurer stunk it up; I won that day, but he sure didn't help.
                    Last few days I've been playing just one league, but the days I was playing in >1, yes, the same lineup.

Comment

Well I have been playing a lot of 3 player or 5 player games. Now I am risk averse so currently I am only playing $5 buy in games. There is good and bad to these. You will sometimes find one sucker in the group and that increases your odds a lot. The bad though is if 1 guy has a player that goes off that no one else owns (16 pts from Will Venable one night this week) it is very very hard to win. 50/50's protect you from this. I like to play at least 1 3 or 5 player league and a 50/50.

Funny winning story, I was running around a lot yesterday and barely had time to get a lineup in. I got my 5 player entry in and then went back to get a 50/50. I accidentally entered a 20 team tournament, top 3 win money. Luckily I had a great night and would have won the whole thing if Greinke didn't get tossed. I lost by .5 a point, but finished 2nd.

Besides the weather issue Revo mentioned, I would not enter leagues where lineups aren't posted for that team already. So don't enter the night before where there is that one 1 PM game and then you can't make changes all evening if something happens.

Anyway, still fun so far.

Comment

I've been on a cold streak (5 games, no $$). Thought I had a good lineup yesterday in a 3-teamer vs. two others who had <10 wins, but all my players tossed in duds.

I've tried a few HTHs, but my team crapped out each time.

I'm like Frae, though, in being risk averse. The 50/50s offer the best odds (50%) as do the HTHs, but in the HTHs you're going up against a veteran player. A 3-teamer offers a 33% shot at winning combined with a good ROI (170%).

Comment

Some recent findings:
                          Gotta look at the weather! 1/3rd of today's contestants in one game have Doubront or Cobb as their SPs.

Comment

Thanks revo and frae for your responses and tips.

Frae, please explain this:

"I would not enter leagues where lineups aren't posted for that team already."
                            You need to complete your lineup before entering a league, right? Maybe you meant "player" instead of "team"?

Comment

Thanks revo and frae for your responses and tips.

Frae, please explain this:

You need to complete your lineup before entering a league, right? Maybe you meant "player" instead of "team"?
                              He meant he wouldn't enter a league unless the major league lineup was posted already. This is because players may be benched that you're unaware of. And I completely agree with this point, which is why I'm shying away from leagues that include early games.

Comment

He meant he wouldn't enter a league unless the major league lineup was posted already. This is because players may be benched that you're unaware of. And I completely agree with this point, which is why I'm shying away from leagues that include early games.
                                Yep Revo nailed it. I got burned twice by doing something the night before and forgetting there was an early game. That early game locks the lineups and then I could not adjust to players being benched.

Comment

Working...
                                X