No announcement yet.

*** VD 6 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first time in more than 2 weeks, this morning I woke up without wrist pain. If I can make it two days in the row in the morning, I will probably participate in this draft.

Besides 9 just isn't enough, is it?
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      For the first time in more than 2 weeks, this morning I woke up without wrist pain. If I can make it two days in the row in the morning, I will probably participate in this draft.

Master your domain!
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        Master your domain!
        I couldn't think of an intelligent way to make this joke... kudos.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Plus you'll feel a lot healthier if you masturbate less. It's draining.

Comment

I agree with this. In fact, I'd say add one more regular letter (so you have to use 4/5 quizy), 2 wildcards, then require one more hitting decade and two more pitching decades. Alternately, 3 wildcards and leave quizy as is. Ideally I think we want to use as many decades as possible, because it's more "relevant" than last initial . i.e. It's more interesting outside of Vintage Drafting to know about how Reggie Jackson compared to 1960's hitters than how Dan Uggla changed the history of U hitters.
            3 would create a situation were the first to pick also gets to pick last. That would be a huge advantage is a multi-draft. I think it'll have to be 2 WC's. 4 QUIZY's seems excessive in this format, and will add greater weight to these (essentially junk) players.

10 players so far (assuming Pogues keeps his hand out of his pants)
            2 WC's (1 pitcher and 1 OF OR 1 OF and 1 UT)
            Decades ... this should be easy ... there were a few spare decades last time around.
            4 KO's (between rounds 6 and 13 ... added an extra round since we're adding 2 WC's)

Good so far?

Comment

any chance we could revisit the adding 1 to each score or some other method of smoothing out the incredible damage done by getting a 1 in a category?
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                any chance we could revisit the adding 1 to each score or some other method of smoothing out the incredible damage done by getting a 1 in a category?
                It was a bit more complicated than that. It involved add value to the lowest scores and deleting it from the highest scores so that the total value remained the same. I'd have to mess with the scoring page to see if I can find a formula to make the adjustment automatically. Could take a while to iron out.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  3 would create a situation were the first to pick also gets to pick last. That would be a huge advantage is a multi-draft. I think it'll have to be 2 WC's. 4 QUIZY's seems excessive in this format, and will add greater weight to these (essentially junk) players.

10 players so far (assuming Pogues keeps his hand out of his pants)
                  2 WC's (1 pitcher and 1 OF OR 1 OF and 1 UT)
                  Decades ... this should be easy ... there were a few spare decades last time around.
                  4 KO's (between rounds 6 and 13 ... added an extra round since we're adding 2 WC's)

Good so far?
                  I like it. I'd say one extra pitcher and one more OF/UT, but whatever is fine with me
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

3 would create a situation were the first to pick also gets to pick last. ...
                    Excellent point - I'd be for two then, and the additional one hitter (OF)/pitcher should work perfectly, each as a LI wildcard.

As far as the +1 point standings, I don't know why it would be complicated, just change it to 2-11 by adding 1 to the rank functions.
                    e.g. on the CH page, revo's HR rank function in cell H2 goes from
                    =RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,1)/2-RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,0)/2+5.5
                    to
                    =RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,1)/2-RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,0)/2+5.5+1
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Excellent point - I'd be for two then, and the additional one hitter (OF)/pitcher should work perfectly, each as a LI wildcard.

As far as the +1 point standings, I don't know why it would be complicated, just change it to 2-11 by adding 1 to the rank functions.
                      e.g. on the CH page, revo's HR rank function in cell H2 goes from
                      =RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,1)/2-RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,0)/2+5.5
                      to
                      =RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,1)/2-RANK(C2,C$2:C$11,0)/2+5.5+1
                      Cool ... I'll have a play this evening and see it we can implement a simple +1 for last and -1 for first.

I'm trying to remember why I figured that it'd be important to add and subtract value.

Comment

Cool ... I'll have a play this evening and see it we can implement a simple +1 for last and -1 for first.

I'm trying to remember why I figured that it'd be important to add and subtract value.

There's no need at all to subtract from the top value, in fact I'd say it's counterproductive.

Adding a value for multiplicative scoring has a simple purpose - to keep a 1 from being such a severe penalty.
                        Currently, in a 10-team draft, getting a last place score (1 pt) means you need two 10s to almost break even: 1*10*10 = 100 = 4*5*5 (average being 5.5*5.5*5.5).
                        Add 1 to all the scores, and getting a last place score (now 2 pts) means an 11 almost catches you up: 2*11 = 22 = 4 * 5.5 *average being 6.5*6.5)

Comment

There's no need at all to subtract from the top value, in fact I'd say it's counterproductive.

Adding a value for multiplicative scoring has a simple purpose - to keep a 1 from being such a severe penalty.
                          Currently, in a 10-team draft, getting a last place score (1 pt) means you need two 10s to almost break even: 1*10*10 = 100 = 4*5*5 (average being 5.5*5.5*5.5).
                          Add 1 to all the scores, and getting a last place score (now 2 pts) means an 11 almost catches you up: 2*11 = 22 = 4 * 5.5 *average being 6.5*6.5)
                          Let's do it then.

I ran some numbers on this a while back ... it does make a small difference, but not a massive difference. I'll post some numbers in a bit just so everyone knows what we're going to do.

Comment

I hate multiplicative scoring...that might make it tolerable.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

In it to beat frae

Comment

In it to beat frae
                                Aim higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X