15-team mixed keeper 5x5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-team mixed keeper 5x5

Boxscore Hungry Freaks with Jason, Byron, et al.

I achieved my 2012 goal of finishing ahead of HEric. Of course, he finished last, so it weren't that hard. Still a combined 35.5 points and a 14th place finish is nothing to rest my laurels on and I'm hoping to improve upon a pitching staff that finished dead last in 3 categories last year. 2012 was my first year back in the league after a few years hiatus and my team was constructed in the off-season by doing a draft from the two vacated teams. Not much to be happy about.

So here's what I have going in to 2013. I can keep 10 (plus 3 minor leaguers, but I only have Nolan Arenado). Who should I keep?

C - Doumit 1 opt, Jaso 1
    1B - Goldschmidt 8, Smoak 1
    2B - Aviles 1, Infante 1
    SS - J Lowrie 10, St Drew 15, Andr Simmons 1
    3B - M Carpenter 1
    OF - Carp 15, De Aza 7, Des Jennings 10 (guar), Schierholz 2, Seth Smith 1, Lo Mo 15, Carlos Quentin 3, Reimold 3
    U - VMart - 2

SP - Garza 14 opt, Blackley 1, Jeanmar Gomez 2, Z McAllister 1, Porcello 5, C Richard 5, Vogelsong 2, Danks 8, Jurrjens 3
    RP - Marmol 8, Ad Reed 6, Wilhelmsen 9

My initial thinking was:
    Golds, Smoak, Aviles, Lowrie, De Aza, Jennings
    Garza, C Richard, Vogelsong, Ad Reed

Thoughts?
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Wow... not a lot to love from your offseason pickings.

1.Goldschimidt
    2.Infante
    3.Simmons
    4.De Aza
    5.Jennings
    6.Martinez
    7.Garza
    8.Reed
    9.Wilhelmsen
    10.Marmol

You obviously should spend this year rebuilding, I'm not sure why you didn't rebuild the year before with this roster. I think you keep the closers because you should be able to package them in-season to make upgrades for next years keeper crop. I'm not sure what you don't like about Martinez at $2, but he is easily your best kitting keeper.

Comment

I'd keep one of the catchers - honestly I think it's a coin flip, and keeping both wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.
      2. Goldschmidt
      3.Infante
      4. A Simmons
      5. Jennings
      6. ADA
      7. Vogelsong
      8. Reed
      9. Wilhelmsen

I assume V-Mart doesn't qualify at C? Honestly I might keep him for $2 even as a DH. Not sure you have any better options other than keeping both catchers, or maybe Marmol.

Comment

Yeah you have a lot of work to do but in a mixed league of 15 teams there are enough players at auction and usually enough owners look to make moves. You should be able to improve this team if you do it systematically.

Here are the guys I would keep:

1. Goldschmidt
        2. VMart
        3. Doumit
        4. DeAza
        5. Vogelsong
        6. Wilhelmsen
        7. A. Reed
        8. Matt Carpenter

I don't think I'd keep anymore than that from here. Garza is a huge arm issue and I don't like him much for '13. I would speculate on Matt Carpenter because he has some OK skills and the way it looks now he should win the 2B job in STL.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Silent mist - I didn't have anything to rebuild with last year. Went and spent big at the auction with Pujols and Fielder and traded both. From this list, the only guys that I had on my team at the start of last year (after the auction) were:
          Infante
          Aviles
          Lo Mo
          Carlos Quentin
          Seth Smith
          Garza
          Jurrjens
          Vogelsong
          Steph Drew
          Lowrie
          Clayton Richard

So I'm still in phase 2 of the rebuilding. We'll see how this year's auction goes.

Comment

Just found out that the league is saying V-Mart qualifies at C, so that changes my perspective. And probably makes it the best $2 I ever spent in an auction. Maybe.

Comment

V Mart
              Golds
              Infante
              Jennings
              De Aza
              Vogelsong
              Reed
              Wilhelmson
              Doumit
              Quentin

Comment

Here are the guys I have on my charts as being your keepers:

Doumit
                V-Mart
                Goldschmidt
                Infante
                De Aza
                Jennings
                Quentin
                Vogelsong
                Wilhelmsen
                Reed

I think there is profit in all of these guys, with the possible exception of Wilhelmsen, but having two closers going in would be a good thing.

I can't think of a good reason to keep Smoak, Aviles and Richard. I think they would have minimal trade value, and wouldn't help you much in the meantime. As for Garza, at that salary and all his present question marks, I would walk away quickly.

With the group I have listed there, you will have a fairly substantial amount of built-in profit...I calculate you to have one of the best five keeper lists, although there are two or three right behind you. This seems like a year when there won't be massively strong keeper lists like last year. Jim has a stout list, and Ken Croft has a good one. Then there is a large clump which includes you.

One way to look at that would be that it might be a year to go for it, rather than rebuild. Assuming you don't extend anyone, you'd have $211 to spend at auction, the most of anyone. What you need more than anything else is pitching, and there should be a good bit of it out there. You may not have a winning team, just because Jim and Ken are so strong, but you could easily finish in the money.

Comment

Working...
                X