Best Zeppelin song ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    But why is your choice different from your favorite?

Choice: Whole Lotta Love
    Favorite: Stairway to Heaven

Neither are Black Dog
    Original poster asked to not include "Stairway".
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Anyway .. I don't wanna argue, I just thought it was weird that you started on everyone else for posting favorites, when you in effect did the same thing.
      But I FIRST answered the original question. Others did not. I think you just like to take exception with everything i post
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        I recently had my wife's car for a week, so I made an MP3 disc of all the Zep albums and played it to the exclusion of everything else. It surprised me that I wound up at the same conclusion reached by the OP..."Ten Years Gone".

Numerous honorable mentions which I won't mention.
        Ten Years Gone is the kind of song you'll get hard-core type fans preferring ... probably because they've listened the more regular songs to death. Many year ago, I was surprised to find how many REM fans regarded Country Feedback as their favorite REM song. I love that song, especially the long rambling live version with Neil Young.

Last edited by johnnya24; 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

If you put a gun to my head on a populist choice that never gets old:

Black Dog

1. Riff
          2. Riff that isn't played to death like Whole Lotta Love
          3. It's a song about prison rape
          4. More Riff

Comment

I'm still going with Kashmir
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

"Mith Vaccination Program" would be a great band name.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Since Mith insists on quantification*, here are some numbers: the Zeppelin picks in the Classic Rock Draft.

1.04 When the Levee Breaks
                3.03 Stairway to Heaven
                5.01 Whole Lotta Love
                6.07 Hey Hey What Can I Do
                13.10 Black Dog
                19.08 How Many More Times
                20.03 Tangerine
                23.07 The Lemon Song
                26.08 Achilles Last Stand (this was my pick, and I was also considering Ten Years Gone)

* -- I realize he doesn't, but it's a reducto ad absurdum of the specious argument that song quality follows some sort of objective standard.

Comment

but what went #1 in the Led Zeppelin draft? I believe took "When the Levee Breaks" at 1.04 in that one as well!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    I think you just like to take exception with everything i post
                    There's that also

Comment

Ten Years Gone is the kind of song you'll get hard-core type fans preferring ... probably because they've listened the more regular songs to death. Many year ago, I was surprised to find how many REM fans regarded Country Feedback as their favorite REM song. I love that song, especially the long rambling live version with Neil Young.

I think Michael Stipe listed it as his favorite REM song, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        but what went #1 in the Led Zeppelin draft? I believe took "When the Levee Breaks" at 1.04 in that one as well!
                        That thread died with the old board. And I wasn't posting in the SB back then, so I don't remember.

Comment

I think "Stairway" was #1 in the Zeppelin draft. That was me taking "Levee" #4 in the classic rock one.

Those are their two best songs, IMO. I've had a revival of "Stairway" lately, trying to get my 12-year-old daughter into it. Not working with her, but I'm really digging it again after not really listening to it for years. All of Zeppelin IV sounds like the greatest thing in history to me lately.
                          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

I had the first pick and took Stairway.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Since Mith insists on quantification*, here are some numbers: the Zeppelin picks in the Classic Rock Draft.

1.04 When the Levee Breaks
                              3.03 Stairway to Heaven
                              5.01 Whole Lotta Love
                              6.07 Hey Hey What Can I Do
                              13.10 Black Dog
                              19.08 How Many More Times
                              20.03 Tangerine
                              23.07 The Lemon Song
                              26.08 Achilles Last Stand (this was my pick, and I was also considering Ten Years Gone)

* -- I realize he doesn't, but it's a reducto ad absurdum of the specious argument that song quality follows some sort of objective standard.
                              This list indicates that three people took NO Zeppelin songs. And the songs surprisingly not taken, aside from Ten Years Gone, included Dazed and Confused, Kashmir, and No Quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                                This list indicates that three people took NO Zeppelin songs. And the songs surprisingly not taken, aside from Ten Years Gone, included Dazed and Confused, Kashmir, and No Quarter.
                                But Black Dog was!!

Comment

Working...
                                X