• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    One song goddamnit ... it was a simple question ... one song

[/threadenforcementpolice]
    says the guy who listed none! :O
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I just had this discussion with an 11 year old bass player this weekend in Tahoe....his first pick was "Whole Lotta Love".

My top 5 Zep songs are

Kashmir
      When The Levee Breaks
      Immigrant Song
      Battle of Evermore
      No Quarter
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Some of you are confusing best with "your favorite".
        Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Some of you ars confusing best with "your favorite".
          Are you proposing some kind of quantitative system that determines "best"?

Otherwise, why WOULDN'T one's definitions of "best" and "favorite" overlap?
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              Are you proposing some kind of quantitative system that determines "best"?

Otherwise, why WOULDN'T one's definitions of "best" and "favorite" overlap?
              There are many groups where my favorite song is admittedly not the best song from said group.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Some of you ars confusing best with "your favorite".
                Like Erik said, what determines "best?" Most airplays? Sales? Grammys? What Casey Kasem thinks?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Like Erik said, what determines "best?" Most airplays? Sales? Grammys? What Casey Kasem thinks?
                  I don't know. Then why does anyone ever say a song is "best"? Do you really think "Hey Hey, What Can I Do" is Zep's best song?

Or would it really really really kill you to agree with me once in a while?

Comment

Not trying to say I told you so or anything ......... but I told you so. This is what happens when you don't follow the rules. Everyone makes up their own rules, and chaos ensues.

Post 1
                    Originally posted by Pauly
                    Anyway I was wondering if you took an unscientific poll of the single greatest Zep song of all time, which one would win?
                    Post 2
                    Originally posted by Fresno Bob
                    Kashmir
                    Things were so beautiful at this point. A proposition requesting a single subjective determination was set, and a "correct" answer received. Then things began to fall apart quickly. First Diablo couldn't decide, and seen fit to enlighten us with his indecision, which set in motion a series of events that resulted in gradually more chaotic and disembodied answers: top 3 lists, top 5 lists, top 10 lists. Seriously? When the teacher asked a question in class, did y'all just put your hands up and give a list of possible answers? Then the inevitable:

Originally posted by Mithrandir
                    Some of you are confusing best with "your favorite".
                    There are many groups where my favorite song is admittedly not the best song from said group.
                    Now who's to blame for this post? Is it Pauly or Fresno Bob? Clearly not. ElDiablo? Yes ... clearly yes yes yes! Did Pauly ask for two answers or "one" answer? If a co-worker gives you the flu because of his/her disgusting lack of hygiene and/or respect for their colleagues, do you blame the influenza virus or the co-worker? The co-worker of course. Why would you blame the virus? How would you even go about blaming a virus anyway? Enact revenge by setting up a vaccination program? That makes no sense, that's just plain silly. Of course you blame the co-worker, and you make sure everyone knows what a disgusting pig they are, and possibly put their stapler in jello. When a kid runs through an unlocked gate and almost gets hit by a car, do you blame the kid or the irresponsible parent who left the gate open? If Eldiablo could have just answered the question as is, then this obvious troll would probably not have occurred. There's no point blaming Mith for his obvious (or deliberate) misunderstanding of the original post... that's like blaming the virus (ohhh ... a Mith vaccination program!). Of course Mith is going to enter/instigate a debate with either more or less information than is required. This is a given.

This is what happens when you don't follow simple rules people ... and in particular Eldiablo, who I clearly blame for this. In future don't leave the gate open!

... and all this conjecture and no-one mentions Black Dog ... seriously?

Comment

Not trying to say I told you so or anything ......... but I told you so. This is what happens when you don't follow the rules. Everyone makes up their own rules, and chaos ensues.

Post 1

Post 2

Things were so beautiful at this point. A proposition requesting a single subjective determination was set, and a "correct" answer received. Then things began to fall apart quickly. First Diablo couldn't decide, and seen fit to enlighten us with his indecision, which set in motion a series of events that resulted in gradually more chaotic and disembodied answers: top 3 lists, top 5 lists, top 10 lists. Seriously? When the teacher asked a question in class, did y'all just put your hands up and give a list of possible answers? Then the inevitable:

Now who's to blame for this post? Is it Pauly or Fresno Bob? Clearly not. ElDiablo? Yes ... clearly yes yes yes! Did Pauly ask for two answers or "one" answer? If a co-worker gives you the flu because of his/her disgusting lack of hygiene and/or respect for their colleagues, do you blame the influenza virus or the co-worker? The co-worker of course. Why would you blame the virus? How would you even go about blaming a virus anyway? Enact revenge by setting up a vaccination program? That makes no sense, that's just plain silly. Of course you blame the co-worker, and you make sure everyone knows what a disgusting pig they are, and possibly put their stapler in jello. When a kid runs through an unlocked gate and almost gets hit by a car, do you blame the kid or the irresponsible parent who left the gate open? If Eldiablo could have just answered the question as is, then this obvious troll would probably not have occurred. There's no point blaming Mith for his obvious (or deliberate) misunderstanding of the original post... that's like blaming the virus (ohhh ... a Mith vaccination program!). Of course Mith is going to enter/instigate a debate with either more or less information than is required. This is a given.

This is what happens when you don't follow simple rules people ... and in particular Eldiablo, who I clearly blame for this. In future don't leave the gate open!

... and all this conjecture and no-one mentions Black Dog ... seriously?
                      I misunderstood nothing. As you more disjointedly have done, I simply commented that people were not following the rules of the original post. Instead of posting the best Zeppelin song they took to posting their favorite Zep song.

If you care to look at my first post in this thread, I followed the rules.

Comment

I misunderstood nothing. As you more disjointedly have done, I simply commented that people were not following the rules of the original post. Instead of posting the best Zeppelin song they took to posting their favorite Zep song.

If you care to look at my first post in this thread, I followed the rules.
                        Yeah but:

(a) The question was asking what "your opinion" was on "one" song. You listed like 10 songs.
                        (b) Contradiction: "most people would say Kashmir" ... then ... but I would choose "whole Lotta Love" ... if you believe most people would say Kashmir, then that is the answer no? Why then would you choose something (Whole Lotta Love) that is not what you believe most people would choose? The question is what do you think most people choose as best Zep song. You think Kashmir and yet you answered Whole Lotta Love. I guess I'm confused.

Comment

Yeah but:

(a) The question was asking what "your opinion" was on "one" song. You listed like 10 songs.
                          (b) Contradiction: "most people would say Kashmir" ... then ... but I would choose "whole Lotta Love" ... if you believe most people would say Kashmir, then that is the answer no? Why then would you choose something (Whole Lotta Love) that is not what you believe most people would choose? The question is what do you think most people choose as best Zep song. You think Kashmir and yet you answered Whole Lotta Love. I guess I'm confused.
                          I answered his question, "Kashmir". I then took the liberty of going off on my own tangent. Just because I listed my choice, doesn't mean I didn't answer his question. Clear things up ?

Comment

I answered his question, "Kashmir". I then took the liberty of going off on my own tangent. Just because I listed my choice, doesn't mean I didn't answer his question. Clear things up ?
                            But why is your choice different from your favorite?

Choice: Whole Lotta Love
                            Favorite: Stairway to Heaven

Neither are Black Dog

Comment

Anyway .. I don't wanna argue, I just thought it was weird that you started on everyone else for posting favorites, when you in effect did the same thing.

Comment

I recently had my wife's car for a week, so I made an MP3 disc of all the Zep albums and played it to the exclusion of everything else. It surprised me that I wound up at the same conclusion reached by the OP..."Ten Years Gone".

Numerous honorable mentions which I won't mention.

Comment

Working...
                                X