2K21 - Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Yes, I am staying in the industry, talking with other clubs.
    Congrats on the new job. My only advice...don't trade Acuna

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
      Congrats on the new job. My only advice...don't trade Acuna
      I'll second that! Though as a Brewer fan, I might have to hate you every once in a while!!
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Joe Smith blew out his achilles and will miss 6-to-8 months

Comment

• Gerrit Cole on Wednesday, became just the 18th pitcher in MLB history to notch at least 300 strikeouts in a season.

He reached double-digit strikeouts for the 19th time this season and 7th time in a row, tying Justin Verlander’s club record, set earlier this year. The only other pitchers to have at least 19 double-digit strikeout games in one season are Hall of Famers Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Sandy Koufax and Pedro Martinez.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I have both Verlander and Cole in my daily mixed league and am needing to move up in W and K to finish in the money. Our league has a limit of 100 total roster moves and I am one of the few teams that has moves left and have started to stream a daily SP out of some of my pitching spots.

I am wanting to know if anyone expects Verlander or Cole to start either of the final 2 games of the season? Going thru some of the online probable pitchers, some sites still show both starting on Saturday and Sunday but other sites show the game starters as TBD. I would think they would get some extra rest to be ready for the ALDS round and not pitch in either game. Does anyone else or a Houston local have any info?

I am thinking of dropping both tomorrow night if neither will pitch again in the regular season, but would like to know what others think. Thanks for any info.

Comment

• The Astros are a half game in the loss column up on the Yankees for home field in the ALCS. I would expect them to care about that, and Verlander is pitching Saturday and game 1 is Thursday so he'd have time to rest up for the playoffs. I don't know if he'll go very deep but I think he'll pitch.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Gerrit Cole tied an MLB record on Tuesday night with his 8th consecutive double-digit-strikeout game. Pedro Martinez (1999) & Chris Sale (2015, 2017) are the only other pitchers to do this.

It was also Cole's 20th double-digit-strikeout game this season. Randy Johnson (1999, 2000, 2001) & Nolan Ryan (1973) share the MLB record with 23.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Justin Verlander had 12 K's in 6 innings Saturday to go over 300 strikeouts for the season. He also became the 18th pitcher in major-league history to reach 3,000 strikeouts.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• These are the top strikeout duos (teammates) that i could find since 1901:

1. 2001 Johnson (372) & Schilling (293) = 665
                    2. 2002 Johnson (334) & Schilling (316) = 650
                    3. 2019 Cole (326) & Verlander (300) = 626
                    4. 1973 Ryan (383) & Singer (241) = 624
                    5. 1965 Koufax (382) & Drysdale (210) = 592
                    6. 1976 Ryan (327) & Tanana (261) = 588
                    7. 2018 Verlander (290) & Cole (276) = 566
                    8. 1963 Koufax (306) & Drysdale (251) = 557
                    9. 1904 Waddell (349) & Plank (201) = 550
                    10. 1968 McDowell (283) & Tiant (264) = 547
                    10. 1974 Ryan (367) & Tanana (180) = 547
                    12. 1977 Ryan (341) & Tanana (205) = 546
                    Last edited by madducks; 09-29-2019, 04:36 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Gerrit Cole tied an MLB record on Tuesday night with his 8th consecutive double-digit-strikeout game. Pedro Martinez (1999) & Chris Sale (2015, 2017) are the only other pitchers to do this.

It was also Cole's 20th double-digit-strikeout game this season. Randy Johnson (1999, 2000, 2001) & Nolan Ryan (1973) share the MLB record with 23.
                      Gerrit Cole with his MLB record 9th consecutive double-digit-strikeout game today.

He should also get his 20th win today with a 7 run lead being handed over to the bullpen.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• As the Astros celebrated in the locker room after their Game 6 win over the Yanks, Assistant GM Brandon Taubman screamed over and over at 3 female journalists, one of whom was wearing a Domestic violence Awareness bracelet, “Thank God we got Osuna! Thank god we got f—-ing Osuna!”

According to the NY Times, “that reporter was known to tweet out the number to the National DV Hotline” whenever Osuna pitched.

An article on this exchange was published in Sports Illustrated, and while the Astros vehemently denied it, Taubman later admitted that he did it.

Taubman was fired today.

Comment

• Front office shakeup with the Astros:

Astros owner Jim Crane announced Thursday that team president Reid Ryan has been re-assigned and Crane’s son Jared is taking on a leadership role.

In the aftermath of that announcement, Hall of Famer and Astros legend Nolan Ryan — Reid’s father — said he won’t continue with the Astros in his role as an executive advisor to Crane and the Astros. Nolan Ryan was quoted as saying “I will not be back with the club and will leave it at that.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• This does not smell good.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I've read some comments after this shakeup that suggest Reid Ryan was not at all a good person to work for and he got by on daddy's name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I've read some comments after this shakeup that suggest Reid Ryan was not at all a good person to work for and he got by on daddy's name.
                                This does have the look of two fathers refusing to yield ground.

Nolan himself is not considered easy to work with but he has the chops to get people to deal with it. Reid, not so much.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X