2K21 - Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tandem pitching plan has ended
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
      This was kind of interesting to read, about Astros experimentation in the minors with (1) dual starting pitchers per game, and (2) defensive shifts.

The Astros coming to New York meant that they're getting a lot more of a national spotlight this week.

Maybe KS has some interesting insight on these? I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind them, actually...
      I am sure that he does, but he probably can't share stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        the tandem pitching plan has ended
        Because of pitchers lost to injury and promotions to the majors, we've moved out of the piggyback system at Triple-A. The other three levels are still using it.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I am sure that he does, but he probably can't share stuff like that.
          Other than to say that I'm not wild about the term "experiment" being used to describe what we are doing, you are correct.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Because of pitchers lost to injury and promotions to the majors, we've moved out of the piggyback system at Triple-A. The other three levels are still using it.
            I wondered if that would be a problem, especially at the higher levels---it takes eight starters to do it. In A-ball, that's probably easy to do, AAA, not so much.

Comment

thanks for the info.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                Winning 2013 games wouldn't even be my 10th highest goal if I ran the club. If Maxwell wasn't out hurt, things may be a bit different. Good to see Grossman get a shot in his absence.
                It's still a business. Yes, they signed a lucrative TV contract, but attendance is down almost 50% from just 5 years ago. If this doesn't work out for them, it could be disastrous. With one of the lowest payrolls in baseball in the nation's 4th largest market, a failure to build a winning team could doom this team for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  It's still a business. Yes, they signed a lucrative TV contract, but attendance is down almost 50% from just 5 years ago. If this doesn't work out for them, it could be disastrous. With one of the lowest payrolls in baseball in the nation's 4th largest market, a failure to build a winning team could doom this team for a decade.
                  I think you need to readjust your expectations for their 2013 seasons. Mine were at 63-99, I don't know about yours. I don't think Ankiel's presence is making that any different.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    I think you need to readjust your expectations for their 2013 seasons. Mine were at 63-99, I don't know about yours. I don't think Ankiel's presence is making that any different.
                    How so? My expectations were like everyone else's, that they were going to royally suck but show some signs of life, some glimmer of hope for 2014. Altuve emerged last year as a special player, and he's continuing that. So far this season, only Jason Castro appears to be headed on a similar path.

Chris Carter is striking out a whopping 42% of the time, and he leads the AL in Ks. Meanwhile, Jed Lowrie appears headed to the All Star game. The pitching staff is a disaster.

This is year two of the rebuild. Houston is a major market and Jim Crane has to be thinking that a viable product must be on the field in Year four. And I hope for everyone's sake there, that happens.

Comment

How so? My expectations were like everyone else's, that they were going to royally suck but show some signs of life, some glimmer of hope for 2014. Altuve emerged last year as a special player, and he's continuing that. So far this season, only Jason Castro appears to be headed on a similar path.

Chris Carter is striking out a whopping 42% of the time, and he leads the AL in Ks. Meanwhile, Jed Lowrie appears headed to the All Star game. The pitching staff is a disaster.

This is year two of the rebuild. Houston is a major market and Jim Crane has to be thinking that a viable product must be on the field in Year four. And I hope for everyone's sake there, that happens.
                      If those are your expectations, Rick Ankiel playing in the 1st 6 weeks of the season should not bother you. I'd still trade Lowrie for what the Astros got back considering years of control and the fragility of said player. The rebuild is 16 months old at best and has another 43 months to go. Their farm system is one of the 2 best in baseball in terms of depth and talent. Better days are ahead - this looks a lot like the 2005-2006 Devil Rays.

Comment

There are a lot more glimmers of hope at the big-league level than just Altuve and Castro. Granted, it's only a month into the season, so both the glimmers and the disappointments could be mirages at this point. But Marwin Gonzalez is playing like a capable starting shortstop, and he's only 24. Matt Dominguez has been one of the best defenders in the league at third base. Brandon Barnes and Carlos Corporan continue their success from last year in part-time roles. Carlos Pena, whom people said we were insane to pick up because he was done as a major-league hitter, has rebounded some from last year. Carter, despite the strikeouts, does have 6 home runs. On the pitching side, Lucas Harrell continues to pitch well. Paul Clemens has been a nice surprise, both in spring training and in the regular season. He always had the stuff, but seems to have found the consistency this year that eluded him in previous seasons. Bud Norris has been solid, and Jose Veras has outperformed expectations.

Has it all come together? Obviously not, or our record wouldn't be 8-21. But there have certainly been more than a couple bright spots. We've also been very close, like we were last night against Detroit and on Wednesday night against Mo Rivera when he caught a lucky break to escape with the save. Is it frustrating in the moment to lose games like that? Absolutely. But I don't consider that a particularly ill portent for the future.

I imagine in a few months, some of the current bright spots won't look so bright any more, but I also expect some of the current frustrating performers to have improved a lot by then.

Comment

looking forward to the event in Houston next weekend

Comment

Matt Dominguez has been one of the best defenders in the league at third base.
                            Maybe, but the guy is terrible at the plate and is does not look like a starter at all.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Is Brandon Laird worth having in a deep AL-Only league? There's not much else available but if he's gonna ride the pine all season then I might as well cut bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
                                Is Brandon Laird worth having in a deep AL-Only league? There's not much else available but if he's gonna ride the pine all season then I might as well cut bait.
                                He has 31 PA in 13 games. Were you expecting more?

Comment

Working...
                                X