Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    In looking up these towns on the map I saw that there is a "Donora Smog Museum" (!!?).
    Horrible event I studied in college days. Can't remember the exact year - I'm thinking early 50s but might be wrong - but a smog layer got locked in by some sort of weather pattern, and the smog had a significant amount of free fluorine. Fluorine is nasty, nasty stuff. I mean, they use it to etch glass. Imagine what inhaling it would do to your lungs.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Horrible event I studied in college days. Can't remember the exact year - I'm thinking early 50s but might be wrong - but a smog layer got locked in by some sort of weather pattern, and the smog had a significant amount of free fluorine. Fluorine is nasty, nasty stuff. I mean, they use it to etch glass. Imagine what inhaling it would do to your lungs.
    from wikipedia:

"The fog started building up in Donora on Wednesday, October 27, 1948. By the following day it was causing coughing and other signs of respiratory distress for many residents of the community in the Monongahela River valley. Many of the illnesses and deaths were initially attributed to asthma. The smog continued until it rained on Sunday, October 31, by which time 20 residents of Donora had died and approximately one third to one half of the town's population of 14,000 residents had been sickened. Another 50 residents died of respiratory causes within a month after the incident; notable among the fatalities was Lukasz Musial, the father of future baseball Hall of Famer and the 1948 National League MVP Stan Musial."

"Hydrogen fluoride and sulfur dioxide emissions from U.S. Steel's Donora Zinc Works and its American Steel & Wire plant were frequent occurrences in Donora. What made the 1948 event more severe was a temperature inversion, a situation in which warmer air aloft traps pollution in a layer of colder air near the surface. The pollutants in the air mixed with fog to form a thick, yellowish, acrid smog that hung over Donora for five days. The sulfuric acid, nitrogen dioxide, fluorine, and other poisonous gases that usually dispersed into the atmosphere were caught in the inversion and accumulated until rain ended the weather pattern."

"Researchers analyzing the event have focused likely blame on pollutants from the zinc plant, whose emissions had killed almost all vegetation within a half-mile radius of the plant. Dr. Devra L. Davis, director of the Center for Environmental Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, has pointed to autopsy results showing fluorine levels in victims in the lethal range, as much as 20 times higher than normal. Fluorine gas generated in the zinc smelting process became trapped by the stagnant air and was the primary cause of the deaths. Further research was conducted by Mary Amdur about the effects of the smog; she was pressured to withdraw publication of these results but refused to be bowed."

"Preliminary results of a study performed by Dr. Clarence A. Mills of the University of Cincinnati and released in December 1948 showed that thousands more Donora residents could have been killed if the smog had lasted any longer than it had."

My grandfather worked at the American Steel & Wire plant in Donora. My grandparents and their three young children were extremely fortunate not to get sick while living in Donora during this time.
    Last edited by madducks; 11-16-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

The Donora Smog event is often credited with initiating the clean-air movement in the United States and the passing of the Clean Air Act of 1963.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    Donora also is the hometown of Arnold Palmer, as well as both Ken Griffeys.
    Ken Griffey Jr's grandfather, Buddy Griffey, was a high school teammate of Stan Musial.

― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    The Donora Smog event is often credited with initiating the clean-air movement in the United States and the passing of the Clean Air Act of 1963.
    I consider myself fairly well versed in recent history but I'd never heard of this! thanks for the info!!!
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

MLB.com had a related article today

https://www.mlb.com/news/ken-griffey...y-and-hometown
    ---------------------------------------------------------

-put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    R.jpg

The smog museum
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    I believe that it was also the impetus for the movie "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster"!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I believe that it was also the impetus for the movie "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster"!
    They need a Godzilla movie poster in the Smog Museum.

― Albert Einstein