*** VD 5 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I think the best plan is to change the Decade structure slightly to come in line with the Letters.

How about this (everyone has to use M and B twice):

In addition, everyone must draft every letter except X, and 3 from 5 QUIZY's. To make up the final 2 letters, each player must draft a second M and a second B.

Edit: OK ... I ended up changing both. Trying to avoid WC letters or Decades.
    Ah...we HAVE to use our extra letters on one of two letters? I not like that part.

I guess I'm okay with boxing them in a bit, but to restrict to 2 letters...no. I'd rather see the top part of the alphaVDbet, around 6-8 letters.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      Ah...we HAVE to use our extra letters on one of two letters? I not like that part.

I guess I'm okay with boxing them in a bit, but to restrict to 2 letters...no. I'd rather see the top part of the alphaVDbet, around 6-8 letters.
      I am trying to avoid wildcards. Almost all WCs come from BCMSW ... so expanding the range of WCs to more letters means the same thing as having WCs.

The way I was looking at it was, there's no point doing letters and decades, then immediately watering it down. WCs kinda defeat the purpose.

Picking 2 B's and M's should bring the value of the letters down to about an R ... although they are so deep, probably more than that in a 10 person draft.

Well that was my thinking. I'm sure we'll get some more suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        I am trying to avoid wildcards. Almost all WCs come from BCMSW ... so expanding the range of WCs to more letters means the same thing as having WCs.

The way I was looking at it was, there's no point doing letters and decades, then immediately watering it down. WCs kinda defeat the purpose.

Picking 2 B's and M's should bring the value of the letters down to about an R ... although they are so deep, probably more than that in a 10 person draft.

Well that was my thinking. I'm sure we'll get some more suggestions.
        I was kind of curious about the rationale -- but that sort of makes sense. Doesn't matter much to me as I'll probably use my wildcards way too early anyway. Have you guys ever had an LHP/RHP requirement ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I was kind of curious about the rationale -- but that sort of makes sense. Doesn't matter much to me as I'll probably use my wildcards way too early anyway. Have you guys ever had an LHP/RHP requirement ?
          yeah, you definitely used them way too early last draft... oh wait...

Spoiler!
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

So how about getting rid of a hitter slot (OF) and combining the 1940/50 decade. And getting rid of a pitcher slot and combining the 2000/2010 decade?

23 letters (3 x QUIZY) ... no doubled letters
            13 Hitters
            10 Pitchers
            And the Decade configuration as below

C 1870
            C 1880
            1B 1890
            2B 1900
            3B 1910
            SS 1920
            MI 1930
            CI 1940 & 1950 (combined)
            OF 1960
            OF 1970
            OF 1980
            OF 1990
            UT 2000 & 2010 (combined)
            P 1870 & 1880 (combined)
            P 1900
            P 1910
            P 1960
            P 1970
            P 1980
            P 1990
            P 2000 & 2010 (combined)
            P 1890 1920 1930 1940 1950

Comment

Maybe we should dump the 1870's as a stand alone decade for this draft? Or don't combine the 1940's and 50's and leave a little bit of leeway there?

That way it will be either/or 1870 and 1940's

Or maybe even 1 from 3 (1870's, 1940's and 2010's)

Comment

i prefer the 1 of 3 from decades.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  i prefer the 1 of 3 from decades.
                  I think it's the better position also given the uncertainties of the format.

Comment

C 1880
                    C 1890
                    1B 1900
                    2B 1910
                    3B 1920
                    SS 1930
                    MI 1950
                    CI 1960
                    OF 1970
                    OF 1980
                    OF 1990
                    OF 2000
                    UT 1870 1940 2010
                    P 1870 & 1880 (combined)
                    P 1900
                    P 1910
                    P 1960
                    P 1970
                    P 1980
                    P 1990
                    P 2000 & 2010 (combined)
                    Everyone cool with this?

23 letters (3 x QUIZY)
                    13 Hitters
                    10 Pitchers

Hitting: 13 from 15 decades
                    Pitching: 10 from 14 decades (with 1870/80 & 2000/10 considered as 1 decade)

No WC's or double letters.
                    4 instead of 5 OF's

Comment

I think I like your 2 more picks and and double letters idea better. If you are trying to avoid WC, make them wildcards excluding BSWMC R(?) or like you said, select two letters (I think when we did the first name draft we required 4 J picks). Letter WCs make it too easy to get around the cross requirements I think.

Also, I assume in your example that someone couldn't take two 1920 Pitchers with those last two spots.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        I think I like your 2 more picks and and double letters idea better. If you are trying to avoid WC, make them wildcards excluding BSWMC R(?) or like you said, select two letters (I think when we did the first name draft we required 4 J picks). Letter WCs make it too easy to get around the cross requirements I think.Also, I assume in your example that someone couldn't take two 1920 Pitchers with those last two spots.
                        Not sure they really help with that. I think they just give you an additional player with good stats and give you a little extra flexibility at the end (assuming you save one or two of them). You still need to draft all the hard letters and decades. I could be wrong of course, and I don't really care that much what the rules are, I'm happy with whatever we decide...actually the more I think of it they probably do help. This is now probably pointless, but I'm too lazy to erase it.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Vintage Draft Jeopardy -- sea animals for 100:

If you don't let your mollusks cool sufficiently you might get these

Spoiler!
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

i'm thinking more of the flexibility at the end. WCs mean you have to worry less about backing yourself into a corner with position/letter/decades that you have left. I don't have to worry so much about the letter requirements from a certain decade because I can just use a wildcard there.

Comment

Originally posted by the feral slasher View Post
                              vintage draft jeopardy -- sea animals for 100:
                              ha!

Comment

Vintage Draft Jeopardy - entertainers for 100;

You may be the right kind of sinner, to release her inner fantasies

Spoiler!
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X