No announcement yet.

*** VD 5 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the wild cards apply to letters or decades, too? Or one of each?

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      Will the wild cards apply to letters or decades, too? Or one of each?
      We'll dump the WC's in any combo draft, and also the 5 QUIZY's (we'll go back to 3 from 5)

I put up a poll to decide if we do it 10x10 or 5x5

I'll be happy to get back to 10x10 .. that is real vintage drafting

Comment

Perhaps I'm naive, but letters/decades doesn't seem all that hard. But I did do well in the letters/franchises draft...

I'm REALLY going to try to be around for when this *@#$( draft starts...I seem to disappear for the wrong 10 days and miss the start of the drafts. I will need a spreadsheet with the new statistics though...I assume you guys have those with the recent draft.

My only issue with drafting is that for 4 days a week I work 10-12 hours a day without computer access. I know that can be an issue with some of you, but if I give out my cell#, we might be able to work around it...a bit.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          Perhaps I'm naive, but letters/decades doesn't seem all that hard. But I did do well in the letters/franchises draft...

I'm REALLY going to try to be around for when this *@#$( draft starts...I seem to disappear for the wrong 10 days and miss the start of the drafts. I will need a spreadsheet with the new statistics though...I assume you guys have those with the recent draft.

My only issue with drafting is that for 4 days a week I work 10-12 hours a day without computer access. I know that can be an issue with some of you, but if I give out my cell#, we might be able to work around it...a bit.
          Can you give Heye your cell number so we can alert you when we're starting?

Comment

Thanks for giving me a chance to play with y'all again, but I think I need to sit this next one out. Just too hard to squeeze in the time required to do this passably well.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Thanks for giving me a chance to play with y'all again, but I think I need to sit this next one out. Just too hard to squeeze in the time required to do this passably well.
              What if we give you a 10% discount and throw in a free pen?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                We'll dump the WC's in any combo draft, and also the 5 QUIZY's (we'll go back to 3 from 5)

I put up a poll to decide if we do it 10x10 or 5x5

I'll be happy to get back to 10x10 .. that is real vintage drafting
                So it looks like it will be 10 X10, no WC. How many hitters/pitchers ? How does an alpha/decade draft work ? I can't even remember how a decade draft works, I think there are some decades we don't need to pick from ?
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  So it looks like it will be 10 X10, no WC. How many hitters/pitchers ? How does an alpha/decade draft work ? I can't even remember how a decade draft works, I think there are some decades we don't need to pick from ?
                  The lineup is not straight forward, because a standard letter and decade draft have different setups. I really cannot remember if we've done one before. We have done letters and franchises.

Basically, the principle is that you must draft every letter and decade that is required. If you draft Gehrig 1933, you have just used up your G and your 1930's. You can no longer draft a G or a 1930's player.

But like I said, it's not straight forward with decades because we normally require 11 pitchers in a decade draft, and there is a separate decade list for hitting and pitching.

It won't be hard to figure ... I'll post the most obvious solution tomorrow and we can discuss it.

Comment

We might need to do the 23 letters (14 hitters, 9 pitchers), combine the 1870s with the 1880s for the hitters, and the 9 pitchers...whoo boy...do we just allow to draft nine out of the 14/15 decades? We might need to do blocks of years and allow 3 out of 5 from each block...1870/80 to 1910, 1920 to 1960, and 1970 to 2010.

Or we could make it 14 and 11, with two wildcards...but you can't use the same letter for 2 hitters or for 2 pitchers. So if you use M twice, you have to use one for a hitter, one for a pitcher.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

screw
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        testing...
                        [spoil]

I don't have any time to do research ... I'll be winging it.

Comment

Spoiler!

ah, it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            We might need to do the 23 letters (14 hitters, 9 pitchers), combine the 1870s with the 1880s for the hitters, and the 9 pitchers...whoo boy...do we just allow to draft nine out of the 14/15 decades? We might need to do blocks of years and allow 3 out of 5 from each block...1870/80 to 1910, 1920 to 1960, and 1970 to 2010.

Or we could make it 14 and 11, with two wildcards...but you can't use the same letter for 2 hitters or for 2 pitchers. So if you use M twice, you have to use one for a hitter, one for a pitcher.
                            I think the best plan is to change the Decade structure slightly to come in line with the Letters.

How about this (everyone has to use M and B twice):

C 1870
                            C 1880
                            1B 1890
                            2B 1900
                            3B 1910
                            SS 1920
                            MI 1930
                            CI 1940
                            OF 1950
                            OF 1960
                            OF 1970
                            OF 1980
                            OF 1990
                            UT 2000 & 2010 (combined)
                            P 1870 & 1880 (combined)
                            P 1900
                            P 1910
                            P 1960
                            P 1970
                            P 1980
                            P 1990
                            P 2000
                            P 1890 1920 1930 1940 1950 2010
                            So you draft the hitting lineup as with a normal decade draft ... one hitter per decade (with 2000 & 2010 combined).

The pitching rule will be 11 from: 1870/80 --> 2010. That will effectively mean 1 pitcher from 1870/80, 1900, 10, 60, 70, 80, 90, 2000 ... then 3 from the rest (1890, 1920, 30, 40, 50, 2010).

In addition, everyone must draft every letter except X, and 3 from 5 QUIZY's. To make up the final 2 letters, each player must draft a second M and a second B.

Edit: OK ... I ended up changing both. Trying to avoid WC letters or Decades.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              I think we're pretty much at the point where you can just tell us what to do, Johnny.

Letters and decades. Make it so!
                              Actually I had nothing to do with this one

4 people had already agreed with Heyelander by the time I chimed in. So if this gets screwed up for some reason, Heyelander is the person to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Actually I had nothing to do with this one

4 people had already agreed with Heyelander by the time I chimed in. So if this gets screwed up for some reason, Heyelander is the person to blame.
                                I think it was Garp who first suggested it this time.

Anyway, I'm more of a big picture person... I'll let you hash out the details of my grand idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X