*** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

There have been some interesting suggestions and innovations put for VD4.

I'm really liking the Peak Period suggestion.

We've also have a BY only side-draft proposed (which I'd also be up for) ... we could even have it mirror the main draft ... everyone makes a pick for both drafts. This is self explanatory.

Peak Period Draft

The suggestion involves using a players Career Stats and the average for a consecutive 5-year period during their career.

In order to calculate the 5-year average, you simply go to the player page on B-R.com, then highlight any 5 year period. A pop up gives you the average etc.

Each player would then post an average along with their selection and I or someone else would copy it into the SS as a unique year code:

1.07 Lou Gehrig 1927-31

1927-31 | 619 211 | 144 - 39 - 160 - 9 - 0.354 (that's all you'd need for a BA draft for a hitter)

This is the only way of doing a draft like this this without imputing all the BY stats for every player ... and building a new SS to calculate the totals. It's doable I think ... and would be very interesting.

EDIT: I suppose there is no reason we couldn't use the accumulated 5-year totals rather than an average ... although there might be a danger of replicating the career stats for certain players ... maybe an accumulated 3-year period would work.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM.

I post the other suggestions left over for the last draft later.

Comment

can you get sums instead of averages?
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        can you get sums instead of averages?
        Yeah ... give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          There have been some interesting suggestions and innovations put for VD4.

I'm really liking the Peak Period suggestion.

We've also have a BY only side-draft proposed (which I'd also be up for) ... we could even have it mirror the main draft ... everyone makes a pick for both drafts. This is self explanatory.

Peak Period Draft

The suggestion involves using a players Career Stats and the average for a consecutive 5-year period during their career.

In order to calculate the 5-year average, you simply go to the player page on B-R.com, then highlight any 5 year period. A pop up gives you the average etc.

Each player would then post an average along with their selection and I or someone else would copy it into the SS as a unique year code:

1.07 Lou Gehrig 1927-31

1927-31 | 619 211 | 144 - 39 - 160 - 9 - 0.354 (that's all you'd need for a BA draft for a hitter)

This is the only way of doing a draft like this this without imputing all the BY stats for every player ... and building a new SS to calculate the totals. It's doable I think ... and would be very interesting.

EDIT: I suppose there is no reason we couldn't use the accumulated 5-year totals rather than an average ... although there might be a danger of replicating the career stats for certain players ... maybe an accumulated 3-year period would work.
          I like the idea of running two drafts in parallel
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            I like the idea of running two drafts in parallel
            The side draft will be an optional thing ... and if it runs we will follow the order of the main draft for everyone that participates ... that way people can make both picks at the same time.

Comment

The side draft will be an optional thing ... and if it runs we will follow the order of the main draft for everyone that participates ... that way people can make both picks at the same time.
              It gives me the chance to be twice as crappy - so I have that going for me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                It gives me the chance to be twice as crappy - so I have that going for me!!!
                you are looking pretty good in this draft. I thought opening with 7 straight hitters was crazy...but you are making it work. Nice job.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  you are looking pretty good in this draft. I thought opening with 7 straight hitters was crazy...but you are making it work. Nice job.
                  Well as any PONY member can tell you I am allergic to Pitchers. I like to claim I had a master plan at the start but I kind of fell into it. Aaron and Bond I paired together because of value then I was going to take a pitcher in the 3 rd round but Johnny took Walsh and you took Keefe. I then just went with getting rid of some bad Letters YVEZ 4 out of the next 5 picks and took QUN before a major cliff came up.

Comment

Scoring

Do you want to try the slightly alternative multi-scoring mechanism I suggested in the other thread?

Instead of 1-10 (based on a 10 person draft) for the category scores we use the following:

1st = 9
                    2nd = 8.5
                    3rd = 8
                    4th = 7
                    5th = 6
                    6th = 5
                    7th = 4
                    8th = 3
                    9th = 2.5
                    10th = 2

Basically add a little value to the bottom two scores, and deduct it from the top 2. This should open up a few more strategy options, but without rewarding the extreme punting strategies of additive drafting (i.e. 4+ category punts). I haven't ran numbers on this, but it should provide a bit more strategy flexibility from a standard multi-scoring draft.

I will write out a questionnaire and ask everyone to fill in their preferences. There is no point posting polls with such a small sample.

Comment

Format

Any feedback on the Peak Period draft? (see post #1)

Comment

Format

Any feedback on the Peak Period draft? (see post #1)
                        I like any of your ideas but I am new to this so what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          I like any of your ideas but I am new to this so what do I know.
                          I'm not sure who's idea this was ... Feral?

Comment

I'm not sure who's idea this was ... Feral?
                            No, most of my ideas were bad : )
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm game. although it's going to take a little more work for everyone. Hopefully not a lot more work...
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X