Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What's the right World Islam policy/strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo505 View Post
    Here's an unpopular solution: instead of committing to war and death, which seems very clearly to create an environment in which extremism flourishes, let's support the populations economically to whatever extent possible and create an environment in which people do not need to cling to a desperate ideology in order to survive or flourish. That strategy applies equally domestically as it does internationally, imo.
    That sounds a lot like common sense.

But how is that going to protect the $20 gazillion annual investment in the military-industrial-intelligence complex?

Until we get this neo-Russian Cold War thing up and running, Islamic evil doers will just have to do. Start ups sometimes take a long time to get going.
    "A person under surveillance is no longer free; a society under surveillance is no longer a democracy. To maintain any validity, our democratic rights must apply in virtual as in real space."

For those interested, an update article from yesterday's new york times on a Syrian refugee family that came to canada last year ... especially interesting for me as they live a couple hundred feet from where I do (I recognize them from the neighbourhood).

Wonder and Worry as a Syrian Child Transforms

Worth a bump in the context of the resignation of Secretary Mattis. It goes beyond just a World Islam policy/strategy into broader questions about the proper role of the US in matters of international security and the broader question of what interests we think do or could justify US military intervention, either unilaterally or as part of an international coalition.

The US has to stop being the police for the World! As I said in a different thread - we can't continue with the idea of "spreading freedom" to the world by force or by some type of subterfuge. There are HUGE cultural and religious implications to the idea of having personal liberties and freedom and implementing them.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    The US has to stop being the police for the World! As I said in a different thread - we can't continue with the idea of "spreading freedom" to the world by force or by some type of subterfuge. There are HUGE cultural and religious implications to the idea of having personal liberties and freedom and implementing them.
    I think there's relatively broad agreement with the statement that we can't be the world's "policeman". Mattis himself stated his agreement with Trump on that concept in his resignation letter. But if you look back at the original post in this thread, and read the Mattis letter, I don't think just making that "stop being the police" statement answers much about what strategies and objectives and interests the US should be promoting or defending internationally and what means are best suited to those strategies and objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think there's relatively broad agreement with the statement that we can't be the world's "policeman". Mattis himself stated his agreement with Trump on that concept in his resignation letter. But if you look back at the original post in this thread, and read the Mattis letter, I don't think just making that "stop being the police" statement answers much about what strategies and objectives and interests the US should be promoting or defending internationally and what means are best suited to those strategies and objectives.
    So are we then discussing the battle between Islam and Western Civilization?
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

No, because "Western Civilization" isn't an entity/actor capable of executing a strategy. We're discussing what the United States' foreign policy should be, at a strategic level, and why, either with specific regard to security threats from/in the Islamic world, or more globally including the potential threats from, say, Russia, China or other global actors.

I have to admit I am no genius at International Politics or Foreign Policy. I tend to believe that we have enough problems in our own back yard that we should not be trying to "fix" the issues in other countries.

That stated, I believe that the security threats from/in the Islamic world have different motivations than those we see coming from Russia, China and other non-Middle East global actors.

Traditionally, Islam has been considered part of Western civilization, as opposed to China/India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, which constitute Eastern civilization. Much of our mathematics, astronomy, philosophy, etc., come from Islamic thinkers and scientists.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

That may be true traditionally, but are we not seeing in Europe some conflict between the two currently? Areas going unpoliced (No-GO zones) in countries like England, Germany and other countries - specifically around these areas being Islamic and not wanting to conform to the laws established in those countries vs their religious laws?