Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the right World Islam policy/strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are going to crack Islam the same way we broke the Soviets, except this time we've got the Internet and social media to subvert their youth and their women......it just is going to take a lot longer as there isn't a central Calphiate. Anything we can do to make Indonesia and Turkey as models for modern Islam is a victory....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Thanks to RotoRooter for reminding me why I am not voting for the Republican Party in the fall.
      Yeah lets throw more money at the problem that's the ticket! Go go team Democrat! Lets give millions to people who hate you and your way of life. Lets also apologize to them when they kill us over a bad youtube vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        we are going to crack Islam the same way we broke the Soviets, except this time we've got the Internet and social media to subvert their youth and their women......it just is going to take a lot longer as there isn't a central Calphiate. Anything we can do to make Indonesia and Turkey as models for modern Islam is a victory....
        The internet is cutting both ways, though. It has certainly helped would-be violent radicals to find each other and reinforce each other's worst propensities.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
          Lets also apologize to them when they kill us over a bad youtube vid.
          Um, you do realize that no one apologized when they killed Americans, right? There was a statement issued from the US Embassy in Egypt before anyone was hurt that condemned the video. That statement presumably was aimed at reducing the risk of violent attack on American personnel. Nothing stated by anyone in the Obama Administration after the attacks sounds remotely like an apology.

Comment

Yeah lets throw more money at the problem that's the ticket! Go go team Democrat! Lets give millions to people who hate you and your way of life. Lets also apologize to them when they kill us over a bad youtube vid.
            There are ultimately three options here. Find a way to make them stop hating us, put on burqaas and buy a prayer rug, or wipe out a large proportion of the world's population. Which one was your choice, again?
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

The abilty of groups to communicate covertly through the internet is well established. We have seen crude examples here. Two guys registered and logged on soley to PM each other. They could do that without using an email server, which would show up on their bosses tell tales.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                Um, you do realize that no one apologized when they killed Americans, right? There was a statement issued from the US Embassy in Egypt before anyone was hurt that condemned the video. That statement presumably was aimed at reducing the risk of violent attack on American personnel. Nothing stated by anyone in the Obama Administration after the attacks sounds remotely like an apology.
                we don't need no stinkin facts!
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                  There are ultimately three options here. Find a way to make them stop hating us, put on burqaas and buy a prayer rug, or wipe out a large proportion of the world's population. Which one was your choice, again?
                  Which one is the U.S. governments choice ?
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm probably taking B-Fly's excellent question down a rathole by continuing this line of discussion, but I'm not claiming that the status quo is the best approach. I think our foreign policy deserves a lot of thought and scrutiny. The idea, though, that Muslims are a monolithic group of jihadist enemies is hardly adding thought and scrutiny. It's obfuscating what should be an important question. It's simplistic, it's jingoistic, it's fear based, and it does nothing to advance the interests of the United States or our allies. When viewed through the knee-jerk anti-Obamism of the Republican Party, it becomes even less useful, if that were possible.

Take, for example, the aid we give to Egypt. I don't see how that's a Republican or a Democratic issue, given that we've been giving it for several decades under administrations of both stripes. It was the price we paid for peace between Egypt and Israel, and we have indeed gotten what we paid for. Do we still need to be doing that? I don't know. But reflexively dismissing it as giving money to our jihadist enemies is completely missing the point and devoid of geopolitical understanding.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      Which one is the U.S. governments choice ?
                      you haven't received your free burqaa yet?
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        you haven't received your free burqaa yet?
                        First I get left off the No Kill List, now they forget my burqaa ???????
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          First I get left off the No Kill List, now they forget my burqaa ???????
                          You should make a film about it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I took an introduction to Islam class when I was a sophomore in college, from a professor who I greatly respected and was huge figure in the local Muslim community. Even with my knowledge, this is an extremely tough question to answer. Like most religions, there are many things I respect about Islam (memorizing the Quran) and things that are bat **** crazy (the lack of women's rights).

I'm somewhat in agreement with BK and FB that modernity will eventually marginalize the strength of fundamentalist Muslims. Unfortunately, unlike the the USSR or Red China, it will take much longer because we can't simply bribe them with Levi's and Coca Cola.

Thus, what I think needs to continue to happen is:

1. America needs an independent energy policy in every way. For far too long, as a consequence of our addiction to fossil fuels, we've subsidized the very agents that seek to undermine America's power.

2. We need to continue a process of engagement with these nations. The world is simply far too small for us to revert back to an isolationist stance.

3. We need a robust news and popular media network. We're losing the cognitive war to the likes of Al Jazeera and Russia Today. They end up dictating policy and disseminating stories that are detrimental to our interests in the Middle East.

4. We need to win the battle at home. Radicals like Terry Jones are hurting our stance abroad. The Homeland security Department should partner with local Islamic groups in order to win the hearts and minds of Muslims here. That should radiate outward to the rest of the world and will illustrate that America is a place of tolerance.

Like their cousins the Jews and the Christians, many Muslims have a martyr complex. That needs to be addressed because it becomes a psychological impediment to enculturation.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              The internet is cutting both ways, though. It has certainly helped would-be violent radicals to find each other and reinforce each other's worst propensities.
                              but if you can penetrate their network, you've got them all...
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                but if you can penetrate their network, you've got them all...
                                Winner! And heck, when these groups congregate, it becomes easier to find them. Network effects works both ways.

That's why OJH's statement:

The abilty of groups to communicate covertly through the internet is well established. We have seen crude examples here. Two guys registered and logged on soley to PM each other. They could do that without using an email server, which would show up on their bosses tell tales.
                                Shows how little he knows about the Internet and well computers frankly lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X