Stop, Drop, and Roll question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop, Drop, and Roll question

I was talking about this with my family over the holidays and how I was taught this in school and so were my daughters years later. Now, I'm not belittling the effectiveness of stopping, dropping, and rolling if you are on fire. My question is what happened to make this such a big deal to teach kids. Were there epedemics of kids setting themselves on fire sometime in the past?

Maybe you didn't learn stop, drop, and roll in school? Maybe an Oklahoma thing? Maybe a lot of our kids were running around on fire?

Discuss.

I learned stop, drop, and roll in school, but that was in Oklahoma, so I'm not exactly giving you a helpful data point here.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Learned it as a kid in Minnesota. I also remember the AD Council's campaign with Dick Van Dyke. Don't know why it was so highly publicized, but it is a simple thing to remember and every kid seems to remember it.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Did you really need to learn to stop before you drop? Drop and Roll is good enough. I think they just added the stop part because it makes the phrase more catchy.
        I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

My son, who is in preschool, was taught stop, drop and roll when they had the local fire company visited the school.

Is this a religious thread?
          Last edited by schlesinj; 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
            Did you really need to learn to stop before you drop? Drop and Roll is good enough. I think they just added the stop part because it makes the phrase more catchy.
            With this reasoning, do you need to be told to Drop before you Roll? Couldn't the whole thing just be: Roll!

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
              My son who is in preschool was taught stop, drop and roll when they had the local fire company come visit the school.

Is this a religious thread?
              Yes, a trick one.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                With this reasoning, do you need to be told to Drop before you Roll? Couldn't the whole thing just be: Roll!
                Roll! would be a good name for a band
                I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Otter View Post
                  I was talking about this with my family over the holidays and how I was taught this in school and so were my daughters years later. Now, I'm not belittling the effectiveness of stopping, dropping, and rolling if you are on fire. My question is what happened to make this such a big deal to teach kids. Were there epedemics of kids setting themselves on fire sometime in the past?

Maybe you didn't learn stop, drop, and roll in school? Maybe an Oklahoma thing? Maybe a lot of our kids were running around on fire?

Discuss.
                  Fires, esp. home fires, are much less common than they used to be thanks to improved safety measures in all areas ... though if I had to attribute it to one single thing I'd bet on building codes being updated to require fully grounded outlets & switches.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Taught it in NYC in the '70s and my kids learned it in school here in VA over the past few years.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I sent my kids to Oklahoma for the training. They wanted to leave out the stop part here in Illinois.

I also think we made laws preventing the manufacture of flamable pajamas since we were kids.

Flamable Pajamas would be a good name for a rock group.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        Fires, esp. home fires, are much less common than they used to be thanks to improved safety measures in all areas ... though if I had to attribute it to one single thing I'd bet on building codes being updated to require fully grounded outlets & switches.
                        Also the use of smoke detectors. Huge decrease in residential fire damage since their inception.
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
                          Roll! would be a good name for a band
                          A Rock band, yes.
                          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                          X