Young 1Bs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young 1Bs

Just curious how everyone feels short and long term about the following players:

Eric Hosmer
    Bryan LaHair
    Paul Goldschmidt

Power, BA, opportunity, etc. Whaddya think?
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Originally posted by Long John View Post
    Just curious how everyone feels short and long term about the following players:

Eric Hosmer
    Bryan LaHair
    Paul Goldschmidt

Power, BA, opportunity, etc. Whaddya think?
    LaHair isnt young so much as new. For the Cubs it would mean Anthony Rizzo.

Hosmer has always bothered me as a top prospect. Not enough power in a difficult power ballpark.
    LaHair has been held back by his glove, which limits his usefulness long term
    Goldschmidt is to one you want of these three.
    Rizzo is the future 1B for the Cubs, which gives him a good BA park to mask his glaring weakness (stikeouts). He has plenty of power.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The Cubs will do what we did in 5th grade, put the guy with the bad glove in right field.

While LaHair is not young he has always hit pretty well. In most auctions my guess is that he is cheaper than Goldschmidt for this year. Goldschmidt seems to have holes in his swing. I would rather have the $11 LaHair than the $26 Goldschmidt going into next year. If they both were priced the same I would go with Goldschmidt. I am not sure if I would be making that decision as a sad sack Cubs fan or that I believe the hype on Goldschmidt (plus he has been hitting out of his mind in the last 69 abs -.377 6hrs 10 rbi, 13 runs and 2sbs). He can't keep up this pace can he?

Oh,and to be fair, I am the one who won him at auction. Then traded him minutes after. Was really happy about that...until the last 69 abs.

Comment

Goldschmidt shows signs of being streaky, but MVP level when he's hot.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Hosmer - best opportunity, best pure hitter, least likely power due to park considerations.

Goldschmidt - Next best opportunity, least pure hitter, biggest holes in swing, greatest natural power compounded by a park that rewards power.

LaHair - Least best opportunity at 1B, good hitter, good power, greatest team suckage for forseeable future.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I know Hosmer got off to a brutal start this season, but I think you guys are selling him way short. He hit .291 with a .799 OPS and 19 HRs in only 5 months at the big league level as a mere 21-year old. Sophomore slump or not, he's still only 22-years old and I think he's easily the best hitter of this bunch, thus I would take him long-term over either of the other two.

Comment

I agree with Skrappy1. Hosmer is the best of the three, followed by Goldschmidt and then LaHair is a distant 3rd.

Comment

no brandon belt in this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
                  no brandon belt in this discussion?
                  Not until he either gets a new ballclub, or a new manager....gotta play to get consideration.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Hosmer has Joey Votto upside and Goldschmidt is Adam Dunn with a better batting average (.270-.285)

I'm not taking any chances. I'm keeping both Goldschmidt and Hosmer. Why choose when you can have both? (i think that was in a tv commercial)
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

This is probably poll worthy. LaHair is not a serious option, but Rizzo is. Brandon Belt is a poor mans Hosmer in addition to the bad situation and ballpark.

Hosmer is the best BA hitter (batted .436 for his AAA caerre) and he is two full years younger. His K% is only about half as high, but so is his ISO.

Goldschmidt and Rizzo have both had ice cold stretches in MLB. Both strike out about 25%. Both are capable of multiple 40 HR seasons, especially given their home ballparks. Rizzo will hit for better BA, Goldschmidt will draw more walks.

Given that, I am not sure the one with the worst MLB stats isnt the best over the next five year, ie Anthony Rizzo.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Not until he either gets a new ballclub, or a new manager....gotta play to get consideration.
                        anthony rizzo is in the minors.

belt is on fire. he's playing every day ... and he has lost his major competition.

3 HRs this week, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
                          anthony rizzo is in the minors.

belt is on fire. he's playing every day ... and he has lost his major competition.

3 HRs this week, too.
                          I'm glad to see that Belt is getting regular AB...but his major competition wasn't Huff...it's always been Bochy.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                          X