*** VD3 Discussion Thread """

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD3 Discussion Thread """

Also the sign up thread (no point thread spamming)

Not starting before the end of May ...

VD3 Participants:

JohnnyA
    TS Garp
    Revo
    Frae
    Feral Slasher
    Hacko
    Pogues
    SDS
    ElDiablo
    Heyelander

Out:

Long John (upcoming sprog commitments)

On the table so far:

- KO's without exemption (no-one has asked for KO's with exemption, so that will not be offered as yet)
    - Increase in the number of KO's (6,8,10)
    - Change the range of KO's (rounds 5-19, 7-21 etc)
    - Change the structure of the KO period (staggering picks, or weighing the period of KO's)
    - No KO's
    - Decades & Letters OR decades
    - OBP or BA
    - 162's or BY
    - Multi / Additive
    Last edited by johnnya24; 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM.

FROM TS GARP

Couple of ideas for next draft:

* Most importantly, no decades being exempt from KO's.

* KO's are open from round 5 on (I think the person who picks last in the draft order should be able to KO first). Everyone starts with 10 KO's. If you use a KO in rounds 5-7, you lose three of them. Rounds 8-12, you lose two. And from round 12 on, you lose one. That's not perfect, but something like that.

Basically, anything to add more strategy to the draft and get us away from the same pool of guys is good. The second idea above being that you can KO great players early or wait and pick off more guys certain teams might be targeting later.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      Couple of ideas for next draft:
      1. Yeah ... you should have near universal agreement on that (KO's without exemption).

2. I'd rather start from round 7 than round 5 ... let the draft take shape and allow some strategy decisions to come into play before the KO kick off. EDIT: no reason we can't push the end of the KO period 3/4 rounds.

3. I'm all for increasing the number of KO's. I'm not sure about the staggering thing for right now, because opening the KO's should provide enough of a change. But certainly it could be a good way to shake up value for a future draft if things become stale.

Increasing the KO's:

Opening all the decades will dilute the effect of KO's on the player pool, so to get similar results in terms of depth, it would be a good idea to add a couple more KO's. 10 would seem a bit much given that we do not know how KO's will impact weaker decades just yet.

Having 8 KO's would mean going another 32 players deeper into the player pool (assuming 16 participants)

Having 10 KO's would mean going another 64 players deeper.

----------------------------------

It would be good to get feedback on this now so we can jump straight into VD3
      Last edited by johnnya24; 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I'm most likely in, but we probably should give it a month's rest or so.

Love the KOs, and love decade drafting. If anyone has any additional ideas surrounding those, I'm all ears.

Comment

in....

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I'm most likely in, but we probably should give it a month's rest or so.

Love the KOs, and love decade drafting. If anyone has any additional ideas surrounding those, I'm all ears.
            I'm in agreement with this. I'd like a little time off. However, I'm sure we will start running into vacation issues, I know I'll be unavailable for parts of July/August.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I'm in agreement with this. I'd like a little time off. However, I'm sure we will start running into vacation issues, I know I'll be unavailable for parts of July/August.
              It'll take a good while to set up ... what with polls and the like. We won't be doing any of that until we close up VD2. A month is pretty standard from one to the next in reality.

We usually find some way to accommodate the holiday thing ... long list, several short lists updated once or twice when you get a bit of spare time at the hotel etc. It's usually not a deal breaker as far as participation is concerned, but it depends on the individual.

Comment

in also like ko

Comment

I'll be interested as long as the final set up is something that I want to do.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    I'll be interested as long as the final set up is something that I want to do.
                    Looks like it's leaning towards the same format (Decades, multi), but with no exemptions on KO's. As far as polls are concerned, so far we are looking at:

Poll 1. Confirmation of the format
                    Poll 2a The KO period (round 6 to 18, or round 7 - 21 etc)
                    Poll 2b The number of KO's (6, 8, 10?).

I'm sure more suggestions will come along.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Looks like it's leaning towards the same format (Decades, multi), but with no exemptions on KO's. As far as polls are concerned, so far we are looking at:

Poll 1. Confirmation of the format
                      Poll 2a The KO period (round 6 to 18, or round 7 - 21 etc)
                      Poll 2b The number of KO's (6, 8, 10?).

I'm sure more suggestions will come along.
                      Not sure if just changing how KOs would work would make for a vastly different draft.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Not sure if just changing how KOs would work would make for a vastly different draft.
                        Since we are keeping the same basic format, how about Xing out all players drafted in the first 3 (4 or 5 rounds) of this draft. Change up the usual suspects of the first few rounds... Wanna get deep? And keep KOs...Let's get deep lol Since we want to give out a little something in KOs to the lower round drafters, don't start the KOs until an even round so they would have the first crack at KOs...
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

We could all draft for four rounds, then do a random draw and switch up the group of 4 players randomly. You'd have to come up with a draft strategy based on a set of players someone else drafted!

Of course, someone could sabotage their team to screw someone else...randomly. Maybe I should think about these ideas before typing them out.

Comment

We could all draft for four rounds, then do a random draw and switch up the group of 4 players randomly. You'd have to come up with a draft strategy based on a set of players someone else drafted!

Of course, someone could sabotage their team to screw someone else...randomly. Maybe I should think about these ideas before typing them out.
                            "You give me too much credit, kid... I'm not that smart" - Virgil "The Turk" Sollozzo
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Even though it doesn't seem to be on the table for some reason, I'd like to do a draft without KOs next.
                              It's not on the table until someone brings it up ... now it's on the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X