*** VD3 Discussion Thread """

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Can we easily import that data? I'm not so sure. That is a B-R.com specific stat ... no? The average categories: BA, ERA, WHIP are pretty much the same if I remember correct. Not sure how we managed it in the first couple of drafts.
    The first draft I'm not sure. I think everyone just looked on BR.com. The 2nd draft I had gone through and manually put the stats into excel, and shared it with everyone. I remember everyone being amazed I did that, but I was out of work at the time and what else did I have to do?
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      I won't add (yet):

Worst player draft (because no-one has come up with a doable way to pull it off)
      The random selection draft (because unlikely anyone will go for this)
      Eliminate the typical players from first few rounds (no second)
      SLG & OPS (no second)
      BY only draft (no second)
      Really, you can get rid of the random selection or switching team idea if you are keeping it there for me. The random selection sounds much more interesting than my ridiculous idea.

I'm all for adding SLG or OPS...or making it a 6x6 and add a pitching stat...Win Percentage, K/9, or K/BB are all ones we could easily add without having to do a stat grab. But we still have the issue of needing to figure out how to grab the necessary stats for SLG or OPS.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I second the eliminate the first 3-5 rounds of the previous draft...
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          I actually like this idea, but would definitely want to try it without KOs first. You kind of need that just to get a feel for what is going on.

If we're going to stick with Decade/KO idea, then I'd like it to be additive. I really don't like multiplicative scoring, as I think the strategy play isn't near as much fun.

Have we messed with scoring categories at all, or have we always done the same basic 10?
          Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
          I second the eliminate the first 3-5 rounds of the previous draft...
          Sneaky hippo

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I could definitely get behind a 162 average draft. Get ready to bump Ross Barnes way the F up!
            So apparently Ross Barnes was the cause of a rule change around foul balls. He mastered the art of getting a ball to land in fair territory and then roll foul, which was at that time considered a fair ball. He particularly exploited that rule by bunting and having it roll foul while he ran to first for a hit.

The rule was changed for the 1877 season, and Barnes' batting average plummeted by 150 points, and he was soon out of baseball (also possibly due to an illness).

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Ross Barnes for HOE!
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I think the conversation dried up.

Comment

I think the conversation dried up.
                  I'll start putting the polls up from next week. that will give a few more days for discussion.

Comment

cripes, aside from Schmidt, it's been a long hard haul for the phillies... Some Jimmy Rollins milestones...

Milestones

Jimmy Rollins

- With his triple on Wednesday, Rollins tied Ed Delahanty for 2nd on the Phillies list in Extra Base Hits, with 686. Schmidt is out of reach at 1,015 (30th all-time).

- He needs 3 more doubles (20 total) to tie Schmidt for 2nd on the Phillies list at 408. Delahanty is first, with 442.

- Rollins' next stolen base (14th for the year) to tie dead-ball era outfielder Sherry Magee for 3rd on the Phillies' list at 387, behind Billy Hamilton (508) and Delahanty (412). In fact Rollins has been the Phillies' leader for the post-1920 era ever since he passed Larry Bowa's 288 back in 2008. Surprising perhaps, but Richie Ashburn only stole 199 with the Phillies, partly because he played in an era where there was much less stealing. He led the league once, in his 1948 rookie season, with 32.

- His next RBI (#28) will tie the Wiz Kids' third baseman, Willie Puddin' Head Jones for 12th on the Phillies list with 753.

- He also needs two more HRs (10 total) to tie Jones for 12th in that category.

Comment

I'll still run a blind auction, if y'all want. Trust me, it's as much fun running one as it to participate.

Comment

I'll still run a blind auction, if y'all want. Trust me, it's as much fun running one as it to participate.
                        I still like this idea as something very different for us to try.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                          I still like this idea as something very different for us to try.
                          sure, wtf... I can't do any worse.

Comment

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                              Squid's mom and friends...
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

VD3 Sign Up Thread Up ... PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR ENTRY EVEN IF YOU ARE ALREADY LISTED.

Comment

Working...
                                X