*** VD3 Discussion Thread """

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
    Not sure if just changing how KOs would work would make for a vastly different draft.
    Yeah it won't make a vast difference, but it will change things up just enough to add a bit of variety.

Comment

I'm with ElD. I'd like to do a VD without KOs before doing another one with.

I've been mulling this one for a while and it could work - drafting by country of origin. Never has Sidney Ponson been so incredibly valuable.

I'd also like to do a loser draft where you draft for most losses, highest ERA, highest WHIP - but still draft most saves and most Ks. On the hitting side - lowest BA, fewest Runs, fewest RBIs - but most HR and SB. You'd have a min IP and AB requirement as well.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

The elusive worst player draft... we have always run into how to balance things out...

Voting yet again for a Letter & Decade draft. Letters and Decades with KOs would be crazy, although I wonder how early people would start finding that they were in sole ownership of certain players.

Rule 1 for VD3 - Don't screw over Heyelander with scoring tricks.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Of course, someone could sabotage their team to screw someone else...randomly. Maybe I should think about these ideas before typing them out.
          that was my immediate thought... we would get 4 rounds of The Worst Player draft and then have to try to salvage our teams from there.

Comment

We could all draft for four rounds, then do a random draw and switch up the group of 4 players randomly. You'd have to come up with a draft strategy based on a set of players someone else drafted!

Of course, someone could sabotage their team to screw someone else...randomly. Maybe I should think about these ideas before typing them out.
            [leftfield]

Or we could agree on a rankings list, and do this:

Pot 1: The 15 top ranked hitters
            Pot 2: The next 15 hitters
            Pot 3: The next 15 hitters
            Pot 4: The 15 top ranked pitchers
            Pot 5: The next 15 pitchers

Everyone gets assigned a pick randomly from each pot ... so we all get 3 hitters and 2 pitchers. We can add some caveats ... i.e. if a closer is selected, you will be redrawn if a second closer is chosen.

Then the draft starts from here. Can't see anyone agreeing to this ... I would do it though ... weirder the better IMO.

[/leftfield]
            Last edited by johnnya24; 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I have to be out for VD 3. Kid coming mid-July and too much to do. I'll catch up on VD 4 or 5. Good luck.
              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                Voting yet again for a Letter & Decade draft. Letters and Decades with KOs would be crazy, although I wonder how early people would start finding that they were in sole ownership of certain players.
                I actually like this idea, but would definitely want to try it without KOs first. You kind of need that just to get a feel for what is going on.

If we're going to stick with Decade/KO idea, then I'd like it to be additive. I really don't like multiplicative scoring, as I think the strategy play isn't near as much fun.

Have we messed with scoring categories at all, or have we always done the same basic 10?
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

we use to do 162 average rather than BY. I think BY is better though. We have done OBP instead of Average. Otherwise I think it's the same.

Agree on the additive here.

Comment

I actually like this idea, but would definitely want to try it without KOs first. You kind of need that just to get a feel for what is going on.

If we're going to stick with Decade/KO idea, then I'd like it to be additive. I really don't like multiplicative scoring, as I think the strategy play isn't near as much fun.

Have we messed with scoring categories at all, or have we always done the same basic 10?
                    I'll bump a thread I started before vd1 that tried to find a balance between additive and multiplicative scoring, without overcomplicating things.

I never had time properly explore it.

Additive is a bit of a mess with so many good drafters and people so used to multi drafting values.

There's a little bit of strategy in multi scoring. you can win punting 2 categories, or as semi punting 3 or 4. opposite with additive scoring ... I don't see any way to win these days without a mega punt strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                      Unfortunately, I have to be out for VD 3. Kid coming mid-July and too much to do. I'll catch up on VD 4 or 5. Good luck.
                      Hey, I have another kid coming in late July. That's no excuse!

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        we use to do 162 average rather than BY. I think BY is better though. We have done OBP instead of Average. Otherwise I think it's the same.

Agree on the additive here.
                        I've given up hope in ever doing a 162 average draft again. That was one of the big reasons I stopped participating; Best Year just took over.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I know there were OBP drafts in the past, but I don't think we've done one since I started vintage drafting, and that was 3 years ago or so. Maybe it's time? What about OBP and SLG? Or OPS+?

Comment

I've given up hope in ever doing a 162 average draft again. That was one of the big reasons I stopped participating; Best Year just took over.
                            Can we easily import that data? I'm not so sure. That is a B-R.com specific stat ... no? The average categories: BA, ERA, WHIP are pretty much the same if I remember correct. Not sure how we managed it in the first couple of drafts.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                              I know there were OBP drafts in the past, but I don't think we've done one since I started vintage drafting, and that was 3 years ago or so. Maybe it's time? What about OBP and SLG? Or OPS+?
                              OBP is an easy change. Not so sure about SLG or OPS ... pretty sure the SS is missing stat categories to calculate those.

Comment

I'll add to the options (I'm adding anything that is raised and gets a second either directly or indirectly):

Decades & Letters (not decades or letters ... choice so far will be decades or decades & letters)
                                OBP (OBP or BA)
                                162's (Pogues and Eld)
                                Multi / Additive (several mentions)

I won't add (yet):

Worst player draft (because no-one has come up with a doable way to pull it off)
                                The random selection draft (because unlikely anyone will go for this)
                                Eliminate the typical players from first few rounds (no second)
                                SLG & OPS (no second)
                                BY only draft (no second)

Comment

Working...
                                X