Too early to call someone a bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too early to call someone a bust?

The Giants appear to have given up on Brandon Belt after a whopping 11 at-bats.

Over/under on when he gets sent down?

P.S. I paid $17 for him in an NL-only league after Bochy basically said the 1b job was his.

"after Bochy basically said the 1b job was his."

what month was that?

Giants had not even committed to him making the Opening Day roster 48 hours out....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      "after Bochy basically said the 1b job was his."

what month was that?

Giants had not even committed to him making the Opening Day roster 48 hours out....
      well, according to rotoworld, on april 4, bochy said the outfield 'could be a major role' for aubrey huff.

Comment

I think Belt will be up all year, but there are A LOT of moving parts on this roster, perhaps more than any team in baseball. They have Huff, Pill, Belt and Posey as viable 1B options, a second catcher that can hit, some speed at the top and back of the lineup. There is so much moving and shaking every day. If you believe that Belt is a stud, like say for example, you paid $17 for him, then you should expect him to eventually get into a groove and stay there. If you aren't a believer, then he could bounce around and out. Personally, I'm undecided. But Bochy is clearly trying to keep everybody playing and he's riding the hot hands right now. Schierholtz is hitting well, and when he is, Belt's got less of a chance of starting.

Pablo and Melky are pretty much the only everyday players on that roster. Everyone will sit occasionally.

Comment

"well, according to rotoworld, on april 4, bochy said the outfield 'could be a major role' for aubrey huff."

given the presence of Pill and (at times) Posey, and the fact that even that comment doesn't preclude Huff from significant time at first, it's pretty clear to me that Bochy never "basically said that the 1b job was" Belt's. As The Dane notes, lots of moving parts.

Belt went for 14 in my auction, and I was equally mystified at that price - especially because the owner would have lost him altogether if he didn't make the 25-man roster (and that went down almost to the final day).

But it's a long season, and for your sake, I hope Belt gets a steady gig - well, as long as it doesn't cost my end-gamer GBlanco any ABs!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

This situation reminds me a lot of what has happened to Travis Snider in Toronto. At the first sign of trouble, he starts to lose regular playing time without ever getting an extended look.

Comment

To answer the question, yes, it is too early to call someone a bust. Last year, how many Dan Uggla owners bailed for whatever they could get?

That said, the warning signs may indeed be there. How many stuck with Adam Dunn or thought he was a great buy-low candidate? :raiseshand: Or Jason Heyward?

In Belt's case, I think it is more of a misdiagnosis than a cast of being a bust. Fantasy players assumed he would start, and he hasn't yet. I'm sure the talents/skills are there, but he has to breakthrough, and that can take more time than a fantasy owner's patience allows.

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the Belt thread, but I am interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on Pill's future with the big club.
                Will he be the odd man out when Freddy Sanchez returns?
                Does he get everyday ABs in 2013?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  To answer the question, yes, it is too early to call someone a bust. Last year, how many Dan Uggla owners bailed for whatever they could get?

That said, the warning signs may indeed be there. How many stuck with Adam Dunn or thought he was a great buy-low candidate? :raiseshand: Or Jason Heyward?

In Belt's case, I think it is more of a misdiagnosis than a cast of being a bust. Fantasy players assumed he would start, and he hasn't yet. I'm sure the talents/skills are there, but he has to breakthrough, and that can take more time than a fantasy owner's patience allows.
                  Jason Heyward, alas, is a completely different case. He is always good in April, because he is healthy in April. He's never been anything but good when he's healthy. However, in 2 years coming into this season, that amounted to 2.5 months. Just be warned, he tries to come back to soon and play through injuries and screws himself up completely. If he could ever have a healthy season, he'd be a beast; but remember, there were some Cliff Floyd comparisons for a reason. I really hated typing that, fwiw.

Comment

Pill turns 28 in September; I'd be surprised if he ever got a full-time gig in the majors.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Jason Heyward, alas, is a completely different case. He is always good in April, because he is healthy in April. He's never been anything but good when he's healthy. However, in 2 years coming into this season, that amounted to 2.5 months. Just be warned, he tries to come back to soon and play through injuries and screws himself up completely. If he could ever have a healthy season, he'd be a beast; but remember, there were some Cliff Floyd comparisons for a reason. I really hated typing that, fwiw.
                      I've always compared him to Eric Davis, another extremely talented player whose career was ruined by injuries.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        I've always compared him to Eric Davis, another extremely talented player whose career was ruined by injuries.
                        That's probably a fair comparison injury-wise, although playing-wise, I think Heyward has the better hitting skills but nowhere near the speed that Davis had.

Comment

Working...
                        X