No announcement yet.

*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just sent notification to Long John (oooops) and DMT that they are up.

I gave up trying to find a good hitter this round, no one really stands out in the decades I have left unfortunately. It's getting pretty thin all over it seems
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Sent an email to Simon with rd 21 and 22 pick list.

The downside to picking guys with multiple positional eligibility (for example, Mr. Biggio), is counting them as your catcher AND your 2b lol... I thought I had everything filled in the infield...doh!
      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• spreadsheet is current through 23.01
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Hoping I can finish top 5.
          I never got the hang of projections but I have a goal!

Comment

• Will pick in the morning-ish...depending on what time I wake up...
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Damn, how many 23.02 picks does SDS get?
              I traded up from Bill Belicheck

Comment

• Can you delete the Dave Smith pick?

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Can you delete the Dave Smith pick?
                  Deleted

Comment

• spreadsheet is current through my rd 23 pick. And I'll take the personal assistant...to go.

Comment

• Pogues from draft thread - I can't fathom how the one player that seems most linked to my chances to a respectable finish is this guy...someone I never heard of before about Round14...when I first started plotting out taking him and his 88 SB in 1912.
                      I was actually strongly considering taking Clyde Milan right before you, but couldn't get past his low career RBI total. Plus, Larry Doyle locked up my MI slot so that I don't have to worry about position for my last 3 hitters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                        I was actually strongly considering taking Clyde Milan right before you, but couldn't get past his low career RBI total. Plus, Larry Doyle locked up my MI slot so that I don't have to worry about position for my last 3 hitters.
                        Benny Kauff didn't go that long ago ... no way Milan goes before Kauff. Then again, Kauff was really good value for whoever got him. I'm pretty sure Milan has been picked before, although I can't actually remember ... but there has been at least 1 player selected that I'd never even heard off before ... donkey pitcher ... think it was DMT or Revo.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Benny Kauff didn't go that long ago ... no way Milan goes before Kauff. Then again, Kauff was really good value for whoever got him. I'm pretty sure Milan has been picked before, although I can't actually remember ... but there has been at least 1 player selected that I'd never even heard off before ... donkey pitcher ... think it was DMT or Revo.
                          Probably not me. Least popular pitcher I've taken was Tiny Bonham, who has been a 1940s mainstay in these drafts.

Interesting fact about Bonham: he was all set to retire following the 1949 season when that September, he had missed a couple of starts with severe abdominal pain. He went for an appendectomy, but doctors found intestinal cancer and he died just 6 days later at age 36.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            Mad Max Lanier? They still talk about his legendary feats in his hometown Denton, NC. From wiki:

Born in Denton, North Carolina, Lanier was one of just a handful of players who remained active during the World War II years. A naturally right-handed player, he had become a left-handed pitcher only because he twice broke his right arm in childhood. After signing with the Cardinals in 1937, he reached the major leagues in 1938. He had arguably his best season in 1943, compiling a 15–7 record with a league-best 1.90 ERA. In 1944 he won a career-high 17 games, and was the winner of the final game of the World Series against the crosstown Browns. He was named an NL All-Star in both 1943 and 1944.

Lanier, along with a dozen other major leaguers, defected to the Mexican League in 1946 after being offered a salary nearly double what he was making with the Cardinals. Disappointed by poor playing conditions and allegedly broken contract promises, he tried to return to the Cardinals in 1948, but was barred by an order from commissioner Happy Chandler, imposing a five-year suspension on all players who had jumped to the Mexican League. In response, Lanier and teammate Fred Martin, as well as Danny Gardella of the New York Giants, sued Major League Baseball in federal court, challenging baseball's reserve clause as a violation of U.S. antitrust law (anticipating the similar suit by Curt Flood some 25 years later). The dispute was settled when Chandler lifted the suspensions in June 1949 and the players dropped their suits.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                              So much for the assumption that you didn't see Milan, and I could let him get by you twice more and take him when I did. i think Doyle was a great pick...since you didn't take Milan!
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Mad Max Lanier? They still talk about his legendary feats in his hometown Denton, NC. From wiki:
                                That's the guy ... interesting story.

Comment

Working...
                                X