Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    These old time cards are just classic design!
    Except for the years that Topps either would not or could not pay for the use of the team logos and had to airbrush them out.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
      Except for the years that Topps either would not or could not pay for the use of the team logos and had to airbrush them out.
      Like the '81 set, above.

Comment

• This is really bizarre. I read a story this morning about former Eagles RB Calvin Murray, so I checked him out on pro-football-reference.com and then clicked through some fellow members of his 1981 NFL Draft class. I was scrolling down and saw Wade Wilson was drafted by the Vikings that year in the 8th round and was one of that draft's great late-round values.

I just saw a Troy Aikman tweet that Wilson died today, on his 60th birthday. RIP.

Comment

• Johnny "Lam" Jones, an Olympic sprinter who was also the 2nd overall pick in the 1980 NFL Draft by the NY Jets and played with them from 1980-1984, died after a long bout with cancer at age 60.

Comment

• Forrest Gregg, Packers Hall of Fame lineman and head coach of the Browns, Packers & Bengals, who he took to the Super Bowl, died at age 85. RIP.

Comment

• Mike Cofer, a Detroit Lions mainstay at LB from 1983 to 1992, and a Pro Bowler in 1988, died at age 58 from Amyloidosis. RIP.

1960 Heisman Trophy winning halfback Joe Bellino, who played for the US Naval Academy and for the Boston Patriots of the AFL, died at age 81. RIP.

Comment

• Bill Nelson QB for the Old Browns

Comment

• Reggie Cobb, a RB primarily for the Bucs & Packers, who had almost 1,200 yards rushing in 1992, died at age 50. RIP.

Comment

• Hall of Fame defensive end Gino Marchetti, a Baltimore Colts legend and WWII vet, died at age 93. RIP.

Comment

• Gunther Cunningham, head coach of the KC Chiefs in 1999-2000 and a defensive coordinator for 18 years, died from cancer at age 72. RIP coach.

Comment

• Green Bay Packers Hall-Of-Fame QB & former head coach Bart Starr, died on Sunday at age 85. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 05-26-2019, 12:13 PM.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• MacArthur Lane, a RB who played for the Packers, Cardinals & Chiefs from 1968-1978, died May 4 at age 77. His best season was 1970 when he had 1342 yards from scrimmage with 13 TDs. RIP.

Comment

• Broncos owner Pat Bowlen died from Alzheimer's Disease at age 75. RIP.

Comment

• Jared Lorenzen, backup QB for the NY Giants known as the "Hefty Lefty," died at age 38. RIP.

Comment

• Walt Michaels, a 5-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Browns & Jets from 1951-1963, head coach of the NY Jets from 1977 until 1983, and head coach of the New Jersey Generals of the USFL in 1984-1985, died at age 89.

Comment

Working...
                                X