No announcement yet.

Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw that Doug Buffone, former Chicago Bear was found dead. I remember watching him for years.

Comment

Garo Yepremian, the long-time Dolphin kicker who made one of the all-time greatest Super Bowl blunders, died yesterday at age 70.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Garo Yepremian, the long-time Dolphin kicker who made one of the all-time greatest Super Bowl blunders, died yesterday at age 70.
        It's hard to find a more amazing NFL story than Garo - in 1966, he immigrates from Cyprus. In 1968, he served in the US Army. By 1973...in the Super Bowl.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I just saw this one, which happened a little over two months ago, but I remember this guy from my youth:

Former NFL running back Terdell Middleton, who became the fourth 1,000-yard rusher in Packers history, has died at the age of 59. %Via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Middleton passed just five days short of his 60th birthday.

Comment

Charlie Sanders, a tight end for the Detroit Lions from 1968 to 1977 whose sticky fingers, fleet feet and shifty elusiveness helped redefine a position that had traditionally been reserved for stolid blockers, died on Thursday in Royal Oak, Mich., near Detroit. He was 68.

The cause was cancer, the Lions said on their website.

Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007, he was also one of two tight ends (Dave Casper of the Oakland Raiders was the other) to be named by the Hall of Fame selection committee to the National Football League’s all-decade team for the 1970s.

Comment

Legendary Raiders QB Ken Stabler died today at age 69. RIP Snake.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks. Stabler was a big part of the great Oakland-Pittsburgh rivalry of the seventies. RIP Ken Stabler.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

One of my favorites ...definitely helped define the Raiders persona of the 70's.

Comment

Divers late Monday night discovered the body of former NFL wide receiver JaJuan Dawson following a search of a Texas lake.

The body was reportedly found in Texas’ Lake Lavon around 11:35 p.m. Monday night, the Collin County Sherriff’s Office told the Dallas Morning News. The 37-year-old had been missing since Sunday when he fell into the lake while on a rented boat with three children and two adults and didn't resurface. Family members had said Dawson wasn't wearing a life jacket and they weren't sure if he knew how to swim.

Dawson was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the third round of the 2000 NFL Draft out of Tulane. He spent two seasons with the Browns before playing for the Texans in 2002, the last season of his career.

Comment

• Tyler Sash, a former Giants safety who was on the Super Bowl XLVI winning team, died Tuesday morning. He was 27.

The Iowa state medical examiner’s office confirmed Sash’s death to the Daily News and said an autopsy would be performed on Wednesday. The cause of death is unknown.
                      Sash was a sixth-round pick by the Giants in the 2011 NFL Draft. He spent two seasons with the team before he was cut at the end of training camp in 2013. He did not return to the NFL after appearing in 23 games for the Giants.

Comment

• Former Colts & Packer HC Lindy Infante died yesterday at 75. RIP.

Comment

• Ted Marchibroda, who spent 12 seasons as the coach of the Colts and Ravens, died Saturday at age 84. RIP.

Comment

• Nice article about how in 1975 Ted Marchibroda gave a 22 year old kid with no football coaching experience an NFL job. The kid that everyone called "Billy" now has his team playing in their fifth consecutive AFC Championship game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/belichi...045721242.html
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Former NY Giants defensive lineman Gary Jeter died yesterday at age 61. He was on that first NY Giants team in 1980-81 that I then became a lifelong fan of. RIP.

Comment

• Sad story:

Ravens cornerback Tray Walker passed away Friday afternoon, according to his agent Ron Butler, as a result of injuries suffered in a motorcycle crash the night before. He was 23.

Walker sustained serious head injuries in the crash and spent most of the past 24 hours in critical condition in a South Florida hospital, fighting for his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X