Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Former NFL player in memoriam thread

Former Tennessee Titans offensive tackle Mario Branch has died of congestive heart failure, passing away young at age 31, according to the Tennessean.

His funeral is set for Saturday in Greenwood, Miss.

Branch was a 6-foot-7, 345-pounder from Mississippi Valley State. He attended the Titans' training camp in 2003 and 2004, not making the final cut.

“He was huge, and he looked like he could rip your head off. But he was a great guy to have in the locker room,” former Titans lineman Brad Hopkins said. “Everybody loved Mario. He was one of those guys who looked so intimidating, but once you got to know him you were pleasantly surprised you got to meet him. We had tons of rookies come in and out I don’t remember, but he is one of the guys I remember because he was such a good guy.”
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...t-failure.html

San Francisco 49ers pioneer, Joe Perry, passed away peacefully in Arizona Monday morning from complications due to dementia at the age of 84. Nicknamed “The Jet” for his exceptional speed, Perry was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969 following a professional career that spanned 16 seasons. He later had his #34 jersey retired by the 49ers in 1971.

"I was deeply saddened to hear of Joe Perry's passing earlier today," said 49ers Owner and Co-Chairman John York. "He was a dear friend to my family and me and to the entire 49ers organization. He was also an integral part of our rich history. A truly remarkable man both on and off the field, Joe had a lasting impact on the game of football and was an inspirational man to the generations of players that followed him. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to his wife, Donna, and his entire family. He will be sadly missed by all of us. We are honored to be able to continue to pay tribute to him through the annual Perry/Yonamine Unity Award recognizing his and fellow 49ers alumnus, Wally Yonamine's barrier-breaking contributions to the 49ers."

Perry played 14 seasons for the 49ers (1948-1960, ’63) and two for the Baltimore Colts (1961-62) as a fullback. He remains San Francisco’s all-time leader in rushing yards (7,344) and rushing touchdowns (50). Perry led the team in rushing on eight occasions, including seven consecutive seasons (1949-1955).

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    San Francisco 49ers pioneer, Joe Perry, passed away peacefully in Arizona Monday morning from complications due to dementia at the age of 84. Nicknamed “The Jet” for his exceptional speed, Perry was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969 following a professional career that spanned 16 seasons. He later had his #34 jersey retired by the 49ers in 1971.

"I was deeply saddened to hear of Joe Perry's passing earlier today," said 49ers Owner and Co-Chairman John York. "He was a dear friend to my family and me and to the entire 49ers organization. He was also an integral part of our rich history. A truly remarkable man both on and off the field, Joe had a lasting impact on the game of football and was an inspirational man to the generations of players that followed him. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to his wife, Donna, and his entire family. He will be sadly missed by all of us. We are honored to be able to continue to pay tribute to him through the annual Perry/Yonamine Unity Award recognizing his and fellow 49ers alumnus, Wally Yonamine's barrier-breaking contributions to the 49ers."

Perry played 14 seasons for the 49ers (1948-1960, ’63) and two for the Baltimore Colts (1961-62) as a fullback. He remains San Francisco’s all-time leader in rushing yards (7,344) and rushing touchdowns (50). Perry led the team in rushing on eight occasions, including seven consecutive seasons (1949-1955).
    This is sad. I've met him numerous times over the past 20 years during HOF weekend and I NEVER remember seeing him without a smile on his face. ALWAYS extremely polite and never a bad word to say about anyone. While most of the old-timers at HOF are nice guys, Joe Perry stands out as one of the nicest. I'm sad to see him pass. My prayers and sympaties go out to him and his family.

Former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Godfrey Myles died late Thursday night from complications related to a massive heart attack he suffered the day before, the team announced on its website.

Myles, 42, was a part of three Super Bowl teams during the 1990s. A Miami native and a former third-round pick from the University of Florida, Myles was primarily a backup during his six-year NFL career, although he started 11 games in 1995 before tearing his ACL against the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX. He retired in 1996.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Myles, along with two other men, was indicted in March 2011 on federal charges alleging $2.5 million in mortgage fraud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also last week, HOFers Andy Robustelli and John Henry Johnson passed away.

Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey died from dementia at age 69.

Norm Willey, Pro Bowl DE for the Eagles in the '50s, died Thursday at 83.

Also, Eagles HOF receiver Pete Pihos died on Aug. 16 at 87 of ALzheimer's.

Sad news:

Former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns OT Orlando Brown has died at 40 years old.

Baltimore firefighters discovered Brown Friday after he was unresponsive at his home near the Inner Harbor, according to the Associated Press. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said there were no signs of trauma or suspicious activity.

Nicknamed "Zeus", the 6-foot-7, 360-pound lineman started 119 games in a nine-year career interrupted by injury.

He has his own thread, but we should mention HoF DE Leroy Selmon.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Hall of Famer
    Maybe there was a thread on this, but I do not see Bubba Smith on this list. He passed Aug. 3rd. He was 66 and died of natural causes.