No announcement yet.

Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Matte, long-time running back for the Baltimore Colts, died on 11/2/21 at age 82. Among other things, he is remembered for filling in at QB for the injured Johnny Unitas and backup Gary Cuozzo during an NFL playoff game in 1965 against Green Bay, which GB won in overtime, 13-10, after a disputed GB FG tied the game in regulation. Matte also surprisingly holds the record for most yards per rushing attempt in a Super Bowl game, 10.5. The Colts also lost that game, 16-7 to the Joe Namath-led NJ Jets. He was still a member of the Colts when they won the Super Bowl 2 years later against the Cowboys in the 1st ever Super Bowl after the NFL/AFL merger. He made a Pro Bowl in 1968. Matte became a sportscaster after retirement and was one of the original Ravens color analysts for their radio broadcasts. He is remember very fondly in the Baltimore area for his friendly, outgoing personality, as well as for his football achievements. RIP.

Comment

• Dick Szymanski, long-time center for the Baltimore Colts of the late '50s and '60s, died on 10/28/21 at age 89. RIP.

Comment

• Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants and Redskins and later on a football broadcaster for Washington, died Saturday at age 87. RIP.

Last edited by madducks; 11-27-2021, 09:31 PM.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants and Redskins and later on a football broadcaster for Washington, died Saturday at age 87. RIP.

One of our local TV stations had Jerry Kramer on, and Sam Huff stories came out. I'm hoping they post the TV show video, but it's not up yet. My favorite:

The 1962 title game between the Packers and the Giants was a game all expected to be savage, nasty, and dirty. The Giants were bitter about being clubbed in the 1961 title game, and they were at home. Extremely windy and cold, the game lived up to the brutal defensive battle it was expected to be. Jim Taylor had 31 carries, and accused Huff of kneeing him in the balls twice while he was down. Taylor countered by biting a player so hard he drew blood since he thought it was Huff; it actually was Dick Modzelewski. The only humorous moment happened when Taylor ran a trap play and tried to use the umpire as a screen; Huff tackled both of them. Jerry Kramer came out and helped Huff up - though helping opposing players up was expressly forbidden by Lombardi. Lombardi went pretty berserk on the sidelines after the series, and finally asked Kramer why he helped Huff up. Kramer's response: "That SOB umpire called me for holding three plays earlier. I'll help Huff up every time he knocks him down."

The other funny one was hearing the description of what Sam Huff would do in a fumble pileup.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Curley Culp, HOF nose tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers has died at age 75. RIP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Curley Culp, HOF nose tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers has died at age 75. RIP.

Oh man, I saw just the other day on Twitter he announced (last week) he had pancreatic cancer. He was actually responding to everyone who gave him well wishes. Crap. RIP.

Comment

• Hall of Fame DE Claude Humphrey, who played for the Falcons & Eagles from 1968-1981, died at age 77. RIP.

Comment

• Holy shit, Demaryius Thomas died at age 33. Born in 1987.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Broncos great Demaryius Thomas, 33, found dead in his home in Roswell, GA. They say it may have been a medical issue. RIP

Demaryius Thomas, who spent nine of his 10 NFL seasons with the Broncos, was found dead in his home, according to police in Roswell, Georgia. Thomas was 33.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      Broncos great Demaryius Thomas, 33, found dead in his home in Roswell, GA. They say it may have been a medical issue. RIP

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ome-police-say
                      Incredible ESPN piece about Thomas' life. I wonder if he ever did build that family compound.

Demaryius Thomas is within reach of realizing all his NFL dreams. But to gain what he wants most -- his family reunited -- he's learning to let go of what tore them apart.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Incredible ESPN piece about Thomas' life. I wonder if he ever did build that family compound.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...tranged-family
                        Thanks, that was a great article. Such an amazing life, and such a tragic end.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Super Bowl winning player & longtime head coach Dan Reeves died at age 77. RIP.

Comment

• Ross Browner, All Pro defensive end for the Bengals and Packers from 1978-1987 and part of an NFL dynasty, died at age 67 from covid. RIP.

Greg Robinson, defensive coordinator for the Jets, Broncos and Chiefs from 1994-2003, died at age 70. RIP.

Comment

• Ralph Neely, Four-time All-Pro OT for the Cowboys and another example how offensive linemen are criminally underrepresented in the HOF, died at age 78.

Nor is he in the Cowboys Ring of Honor, but I expect Jerry Jones to be an ignorant fool.

Comment

• Don Maynard, Jets HOF receiver, passed away today at age 86. RIP.

18.7 yards/reception for his career. Three years in a row with 20 or more yards/reception.

In his last year, which was with the Cardinals, Maynard played with a 22-year old Terry Metcalf and a 24-year old Ahmad Rashad.

Comment

Working...
                                X