No announcement yet.

Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legendary Florida St. coach Bobby Bowden died at age 91. RIP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Legendary Florida St. coach Bobby Bowden died at age 91. RIP.
      I had a brief but pretty special relationship with coach Bowden when i was in college in the 90s. Here’s my quick thoughts that I posted on facebook a couple of weeks ago:

When I heard about Coach Bowden's illness, it got me reflecting. When you think about men like Bobby Bowden, you probably think of championships, big wins, and all the football players and coaches - famous and not - who he had a positive influence on. But his influence spanned so much more than his teams and his colleagues.

As a young college student and reporter just trying to figure out his career path, Bobby Bowden embraced (quite often literally) my growth as a professional. He always made time for me, was encouraging and gave me thoughtful answers to the most mundane questions. He sought me out in the locker room after games to give me a quote.

He told me I reminded him of one of his grandchildren. He always made time for me when an army of beat reporters demanded his time. He made me feel welcome. He made me feel accepted. He seemed to genuinely enjoy our short moments together. He helped put me on a career path.

Decades later, I sit at my desk as a journalist (no longer a sports journalist, but still). I may not have made it here without Bobby Bowden.

Thanks coach.

Comment

• Former Jets HC Joe Walton died at age 85.

Former Titans/Oilers GM Floyd Reese died at age 73.

Former Redskins LB Rich Milot, who played his entire 9-year career with the Redskins from 1979-1987, died at age 64.

Former Eagles & Vikings Pro Bowl nose tackle Charlie Johnson, who played from 1977-1984, died at age 69.

Comment

• Keith McCants, the Groups overall pick in the 1990 draft who had a largely disappointing 6-year career with the Falcons, Bucs & Oilers, died of a drug overdose at age 53. RIP.

Comment

• David Patten, a WR who had a 12-year career and won 3 Super Bowls with the New England Patriots, died at age 47. RIP.

Comment

David Patten, a WR who had a 12-year career and won 3 Super Bowls with the New England Patriots, died at age 47. RIP.
              According to The State newspaper, the Richland County (SC) Coroner confirmed that Patten died in a motorcycle crash. The South Carolina Highway Patrol say Patten's motorcycle crossed the center line into opposing traffic and struck another vehicle just outside Columbia, South Carolina.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Tunch Ilkin, a Pro Bowl offensive lineman and then broadcaster for the Pittsburgh Steelers, died at age 63 of ALS. RIP.

Comment

Tunch Ilkin, a Pro Bowl offensive lineman and then broadcaster for the Pittsburgh Steelers, died at age 63 of ALS. RIP.

A Pittsburgh staple on the field, on the TV, and on the radio. RIP Tunch.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Sam "Bam" Cunningham, the leading rusher in New England Patriots' team history, died at age 71. RIP.

Comment

• Parys Haralson, a linebacker/defensive end for the 49ers and Saints from 2006 to 2014, died in his sleep at just age 37. RIP.

Legendary Vikings center and Hall of Famer Mick Tingelhoff died at age 81. RIP.

Comment

Parys Haralson, a linebacker/defensive end for the 49ers and Saints from 2006 to 2014, died in his sleep at just age 37. RIP.

Legendary Vikings LB and Hall of Famer Mick Tingelhoff died at age 81. RIP.
                        Center, Tingelhoff he was a center...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I was just coming here to correct it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            240 consecutive starts as a center. That has always amazed me.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Pro Bowl Broncos RB Otis Armstrong died at age 70 on October 13. RIP.

Comment

• Freddie Joe Nunn, formerly the all-time sack leader for the Cards until this afternoon, died on October 16 at age 59. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X