Super Bowl musings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl musings...

With passing records becoming as meaningless as home run records in baseball, it is nice to see a team with a semblance of defense win the Super Bowl.

Mario Manningham's feet and David Tyree's head, what's the next body part to be involved ?

Despite all the hoopla at the time, I have no issue with New England letting Bradshaw score or Bradshaw actually scoring (despite, the moaning for him to pull a Brian Westbrook).

Eli is 8-3 in playoffs, Peyton is 9-10.

One of the better officiated games of the year, thankfully.

Nice touch to have former Colts great Raymond Berry carry the Lombardi Trophy to the post-game award ceremony, but the Giants fawning all over it was a tad creepy.

If the Super Bowl trophy is now called the Lombardi Trophy, what was it called for the first few Super Bowls ?

I've never been a huge Brady fan but the guy can play and is a class act.

I wondered why the Giants didn't take more shots down the field during the game.

Dumb move of the game. Giants taking a 2nd timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty. The next play after the timeout, they get a false start penalty.

Speaks volumes of Welker when people expect him to make circus-like catches.

Had Cruz and Bradshaw lost their fumbles, the game would have played a lot differently.

Nice to see center Dermontti Dawson, defensive end Chris Doleman, defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy, running back Curtis Martin, and tackle Willie Roaf get into the HOF.
    The various wideouts eligible (Carter, Brown, Reed) likely split the vote- hurting all three of their chances. Next year, Larry Allen and Jonathan Ogden, defensive end Michael Strahan and defensive tackle Warren Sapp all become eligible.

Still not sure that the Safety was a good call...it's defensible, but there's nothing to say that a receiver didn't break off a route that was intended to go to that spot.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Still not sure that the Safety was a good call...it's defensible, but there's nothing to say that a receiver didn't break off a route that was intended to go to that spot.
      And the refs are supposed to determine that how?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        And the refs are supposed to determine that how?
        That's why it's a questionable call...they don't know. It's not like he tossed the ball 30 yards out of bounds, or at the the feet of an offensive lineman while in the pocket.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
          Speaks volumes of Welker when people expect him to make circus-like catches.
          Collinsworth was pretty good most of the game, but the one time he was really off was when he blamed Welker for not making an incredible catch on a throw that should have been much better. He was wide open.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Collinsworth was pretty good most of the game, but the one time he was really off was when he blamed Welker for not making an incredible catch on a throw that should have been much better. He was wide open.
            Wasnt that ball tipped?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I agree, I never saw a safety called on a pass like that before. I thought it was pretty bizarre myself.

Love him or hate him, Eli Manning steps up big-time in the post-season. He now has a 17-9 TD/INT ratio in 11 post-season games, and 3 of those picks came in his 1st ever playoff game in '05.

I've never seen the loss of a tight end affect the outcome of a game as much as the loss of a 100% Gronk did for the Pats.

Chase Blackburn's return this season meant the world to the Giant defense.

I'm willing to put the Giant WRs up there with any WR corps the league has ever seen. I'm not comparing any single Giant WR to any all-time great, but rather the unit as a whole.

And this coming from a team who waited almost 40 years between Pro Bowl WRs.

You can go back to every game from the Jets Dec. 24 matchup, and something broke the Giants way in every single one of them. Think Tebow had some divine intervention? Think again!

As far as teams who didn't really deserve to be in the post-season, this Giants victory is among the most improbable. This after the STL Cardinals made it into the playoffs in their final at-bat, and you have two major championships divided among teams that had no bidness being there.

The comparisons to the 2007 run is downright eerie, from beating a #1 seed in the 2nd round, to winning the SB against the Pats.

Comment

As soon as the screen showed the ball land I was saying "safety". The guys with me thought I was nuts. It did seem to be more of a 1970s call, when you never just throw it out of bounds, than a 2000s call but I think Brady was just throwing it away so it was a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Wasnt that ball tipped?

J
                  The one at the end of the game was. The one I'm thinking of was earlier.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Absolutely. I know Welker thought he should have caught it, but like any good pro WR, he feels he should catch everything he can get two hands on. But blaming Welker for that "drop" instead of Brady for making a very poor throw made no sense to me.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

"Eli is 8-3 in playoffs, Peyton is 9-10."

I realize it's literally true, but talk about a loaded stat

- Eli gets bonus points for each year he doesn't lead his team to the playoffs and then lose in the first round (wait, isn't it better to make the playoffs than not?)

- Peyton is penalized for all those byes - no credit for skipping the first round, but credit to little bro for details like this year's 9-7 home game against the 10-6 Falcons.

Any honest "W-L" QB record should record an 0-1 for every year the team misses the playoffs, and a 1-0 for every bye status.
                      Might even be better to give the QB an 0-2 for not making the playoffs, actually.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Certainly I'm not a Giants fan, but it is pretty cool that my office has a bird's eye view of the parade.

Comment

Really short-sighted of all those who felt Bradshaw should have fell at the 1 yard line. Field Goals aren't automatic.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Really short-sighted of all those who felt Bradshaw should have fell at the 1 yard line. Field Goals aren't automatic.
                            I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if Brady had led a GW-drive, which was entirely possible. And just because he fell on the 1 doesn't mean they had to kick a FG. I'm pretty sure no one on the Pats would have stopped Jacobs from plowing in from the 1 on the next play.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

"I'm pretty sure no one on the Pats would have stopped Jacobs from plowing in from the 1 on the next play."

You don't watch a lot of Giants games, do you?

Both teams did what they had to do there.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X