Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas the Tool

Talk about a classless, selfish act.

WASHINGTON -- Before most hockey games, it's tough to find many players who stand completely still during the national anthem.

Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas never moves. He stands as still as the Statue of Liberty, with his focus directly on the American flag that hangs from the rafters in every NHL arena. There's no denying Thomas' patriotism. He represented Team USA as an Olympian and has called it one of his most memorable moments of his career.

But when the president of the United States invites you and all your teammates to the White House to honor your Stanley Cup championship, you go and represent the team.

On Monday, Thomas instead chose to represent himself.

The reigning Vezina and Conn Smythe winner skipped the White House ceremony, deciding to use a special moment for the organization, the team and its fans to voice his displeasure with the U.S. government.
    linky
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Kind of old news (at least up here in Boston) but yeah, lame.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

He chose to use the forum to express his displeasure with the current administration. He shouldve gone but tool and totally classless are way too strong for me.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        He chose to use the forum to express his displeasure with the current administration. He shouldve gone but tool and totally classless are way too strong for me.
        Yeah I just think it was lame. I'm a huge B's fan but I wish he would have just gone and sucked it up. Its a totally ridiculous sidebar now that didn't solve anything and only made a story and put a negative spotlight on him. It's not like the gov't is going to just go "oh right, right good point. NOw we will scale back our size and ease up on your liberties. Thank you hockey goalie."
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Why are they too strong? Look. He's a professional goalie by trade. His political views have nothing to do with his profession. I happen to agree with his thinking personally, but its irrelevant. It's particularly bad because he's represented his country in the Olympics and treated it as an honor (which it is). So you can go and represent your country in the Olympics, but going to the White House is where you draw the line? C'mon. Which one's a bigger deal? Which one involves you plying your trade and which one is just an appearance. Frankly, if he really felt that strongly about it, he shouldn't have been an Olympian. But that would have involved not playing in the Olympics (and not being able to have that experience or put it on your resume). This is why I'm calling him out for being both selfish and classless.

And read the article. Its not about the current administration particularly, its about where the government has gone as a whole.

Comment

i'm not sure i understand what's wrong with a guy not wanting to be used as a political tool for a feel-good photo op. we're not their puppets, we don't have to dance for them. good for him.
            ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

LJ,

Along the lines of what CG just posted. Because he is invited, he has to go? Because he doesnt respect this (or any) administration, he should feel obligated to attend? Sorry, I dont see it that way.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

It's a question of respect for the highest office in the country you love - what the founding fathers created. Who the current president is has very little to do with it. Plus, he's one of only two US players on the team! This has nothing to do with politics or a feel-good photo op. Its a question of respect for your country. I put it as akin to not standing and removing your hat for the national anthem.

Comment

Hm. I guess we are getting at what exactly is patriotism. I don't know this case that well, but it obvious to me that Thomas is NOT a patriot, not by a long shot. An American patriot follows and honors his president even -and ESPECIALLY- when he doesn't agree with him. To reject an opportunity to honor your president is tantamount to dishonor, in my opinion. True patriots would NEVER dishonor their president; it would be too painful for them.

This issue also touches on something else I find disloyal: when people who are upset, they occasionally turn on their own. For example, over the years many of us have argued at length with one another about so many topics that I could never list them. However, whenever an outsider steps in and starts ripping apart one of us, the rest -even those who often disagree with them- often step in and we unite. The loyalty to each other, beyond whatever our personal philosophies may be, protects the group and is one of the main reasons we have held together over the years. When people like Thomas protest in this manner, through dishonor, he demeans the President, his teammates, and every American who supports an American President with which the may disagree.

Thomas is too selfish to be considered a true patriot. When it is easy to be a patriot, as an Olympian, during the pledge, that is NOT the time to judge someone's true mettle as a patriot. It is the times when it is difficult and one is tested, that we should be judged. Thomas, in my opinion, failed the patriot test.

Comment

:goodpost:
                    Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    Hm. I guess we are getting at what exactly is patriotism. I don't know this case that well, but it obvious to me that Thomas is NOT a patriot, not by a long shot. An American patriot follows and honors his president even -and ESPECIALLY- when he doesn't agree with him. To reject an opportunity to honor your president is tantamount to dishonor, in my opinion. True patriots would NEVER dishonor their president; it would be too painful for them.

This issue also touches on something else I find disloyal: when people who are upset, they occasionally turn on their own. For example, over the years many of us have argued at length with one another about so many topics that I could never list them. However, whenever an outsider steps in and starts ripping apart one of us, the rest -even those who often disagree with them- often step in and we unite. The loyalty to each other, beyond whatever our personal philosophies may be, protects the group and is one of the main reasons we have held together over the years. When people like Thomas protest in this manner, through dishonor, he demeans the President, his teammates, and every American who supports an American President with which the may disagree.

Thomas is too selfish to be considered a true patriot. When it is easy to be a patriot, as an Olympian, during the pledge, that is NOT the time to judge someone's true mettle as a patriot. It is the times when it is difficult and one is tested, that we should be judged. Thomas, in my opinion, failed the patriot test.
                    :goodpost:
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                      It's a question of respect for the highest office in the country you love - what the founding fathers created. Who the current president is has very little to do with it. Plus, he's one of only two US players on the team! This has nothing to do with politics or a feel-good photo op. Its a question of respect for your country. I put it as akin to not standing and removing your hat for the national anthem.
                      if this was a cheap partisan thing, i wouldn't respect his decision. but if you take his statement at face value -

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," the message read. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

"Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

"This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"
                      - it sounds like he has a strong conviction that gov't is broken and this isn't the kind of thing they should be wasting their time on. he had an opportunity to make a statement, and he took it. nothing wrong with this kind of free expression in my book.

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                        - it sounds like he has a strong conviction that gov't is broken and this isn't the kind of thing they should be wasting their time on. he had an opportunity to make a statement, and he took it. nothing wrong with this kind of free expression in my book.
                        I agree with this as well, it is his choice, but that certainly doesn't make him patriotic.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

LJ,

Along the lines of what CG just posted. Because he is invited, he has to go? Because he doesnt respect this (or any) administration, he should feel obligated to attend? Sorry, I dont see it that way.
                          yes as an American he does have to go.

When the president of the united states asks you to meet with him - you do.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            yes as an American he does have to go.

When the president of the united states asks you to meet with him - you do.
                            Why do you? Because you hold the position in high esteem? I see him caring enough and being convicted not to go. I dont agree with it but I certainly respect his right to do it and dont find his actions do be that of a tool. I dont remember anyone saying he was a patriot but a tool? Not because of this action.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              I agree with this as well, it is his choice, but that certainly doesn't make him patriotic.
                              is he claiming this makes him patriotic? so far as i can tell, that was just a set-up the author of the article used. if those are his convictions, then he has every right to act on them, whether we agree with him or not.

kc

Comment

Working...
                              X