No announcement yet.

Real Mock Draft #1 - Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first pick I considered taking Pujols and Bautista before settling on Kemp.

I eliminated Pujols for a few reasons:
    1. The injuries last year have me worried he is starting to break down.
    2. He's changing leagues, and though he's the type of batter that shouldn't be too affected by that, Adam Dunn proves you never know.
    3. I hate owning players in the first year of their huge new contracts, it never seems to go well for me.

I was actually much more interested in Bautista than Pujols. I really liked the idea of all that power at third base. Ultimately I chose Kemp over both because I figured I could get 75 percent of the power and 40 stolen bases in one shot. My hope is that this doesn't cost me all of the big power corner guys.

Comment

Of course, it turned out 2009 was the worst year to own Hamels since he became a stud.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Of course, it turned out 2009 was the worst year to own Hamels since he became a stud.
        Thanks for reminding me.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
          For the first pick I considered taking Pujols and Bautista before settling on Kemp.

2. He's changing leagues, and though he's the type of batter that shouldn't be too affected by that, Adam Dunn proves you never know.
          3. I hate owning players in the first year of their huge new contracts, it never seems to go well for me.

I was actually much more interested in Bautista than Pujols. I really liked the idea of all that power at third base. Ultimately I chose Kemp over both because I figured I could get 75 percent of the power and 40 stolen bases in one shot. My hope is that this doesn't cost me all of the big power corner guys.
          I hate having picks on the ends of this draft. I think every year I've been involved I have toward the end of order. Nothing like sitting back and waiting for 36 picks in between.

Pujols, IMO, is a known commodity. I'm not concerned about injuries, as that can happen to anyone. Yes, he's broken down recently. I'm not concerned about the new contract or the new league.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I think I'm with you on Kemp/Bautista as 1-2. I also think I'd really consider Miggy ahead of Pujols. Hopefully if Kemp has another "bad" season he still comes close to 30/30, even with a lower AVG and not too many runs scored. Bautista's 3B eligibility is a huge plus.

Comment

I don't really see a comparison between Pujols and Dunn. Dunn's batting average has been all over the map. Pujols is so consistent that it's scary. They are two very different hitters.

BTW, I believe in the past it is frowned upon to mentions names of players that have not been drafted yet. I know I have been very guilty of that so far but I think we all know who's who in the first round but I think it's a good idea to mention it. I'll stop name dropping going forward.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I don't really see a comparison between Pujols and Dunn. Dunn's batting average has been all over the map. Pujols is so consistent that it's scary. They are two very different hitters.

BTW, I believe in the past it is frowned upon to mentions names of players that have not been drafted yet. I know I have been very guilty of that so far but I think we all know who's who in the first round but I think it's a good idea to mention it. I'll stop name dropping going forward.
                I wasn't really comparing Dunn to Pujols as much as the situations. Dunn's peripherals have been very consistent, and I didn't hear anyone question his ability to switch flawlessly to the other league. Hopefully someone drafts Dunn in the first round because of this early mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Joncarlos
                  1.10 Jose Reyes, SS FLA

This is a reach, but he isn't making it to 31, shortstop is a wasteland and I'm hoping that getting him the hell away from the Mets' training staff will do him a world of good.
                  I was probably going to take him at 15 for the same reason if he was there.

The good news is I now won't be forced to root for him. The bad news is, I have to play someone at SS and it's a really thin crop.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    I was probably going to take him at 15 for the same reason if he was there.

The good news is I now won't be forced to root for him. The bad news is, I have to play someone at SS and it's a really thin crop.
                    10 was a lot higher than his ADP, BUT we are starting more than the usual number of shortstops. Reyes wasn't the guy I wanted to take... surprised you didn't take the guy I wanted to take... but I felt like he was worth the roll of the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      10 was a lot higher than his ADP, BUT we are starting more than the usual number of shortstops. Reyes wasn't the guy I wanted to take... surprised you didn't take the guy I wanted to take... but I felt like he was worth the roll of the dice.
                      Not to take any advantage away from you but which set of ADP's do you follow? I like the NFBC ones but they aren't out until March usually. MDC is okay but I always wonder about some of their picks.

I happen to like Reyes at 1.10 but I know why some wouldn't. Plus, it wil be fun to have one of the new Marlins. They're going to get crazy coverage.

Comment

Plus with Ozzie in Florida and less cold weather to deal with, Reyes has a shot at 100 sbs if he stays healthy.

Comment

Plus with Ozzie in Florida and less cold weather to deal with, Reyes has a shot at 100 sbs if he stays healthy.
                          That's part of the problem, the less he runs, the greater chance he stays healthy.
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                            That's part of the problem, the less he runs, the greater chance he stays healthy.
                            I suppose that's true. Still, under Ozzie, if he manages his usual 120 games he still might set a new career high.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              I hate having picks on the ends of this draft. I think every year I've been involved I have toward the end of order. Nothing like sitting back and waiting for 36 picks in between.
                              I'm in the opposite situation. I always wind up near the middle. I was really hoping to have an early pick this year, for once.

Just an observation, not a complaint. The grass is always greener and all that.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

Upton was the guy I was going to take instead of Reyes. I love J-up this year. He's the Felix of hitters, you know he'll be very good and there's a chance of greatness. Maybe Longoria is like that too but he didn't run at all last year and I don't get all the hype as long as he's playing in that soul-crushing ballpark.

Comment

Working...
                                X