An Intro to Vintage Drafting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Long John View Post
    Last question: If we're drafting 24 players and we can only use each letter of the alphabet once, how can we only draft 3 players from QUIZY? With X out (I'm assuming there are no players with a last name beginning with X) you will have to pick 4 players from the QUIZY pool, no?
    It's only 23 players - 14 hitters, 9 pitchers.

Comment

According to the rules I read, we're doing 10 pitchers in this one.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

According to the rules I read, we're doing 10 pitchers in this one.
        Hey sorry. That was ny error. I changed it a couple of days back. Check the second post in the draft thread for full rules.

J

Comment

So if I'm reading this and the rules correctly, Cal Ripken Jr and Tony Gwynn would be considered Contemporary players because they both didn't retire until after the 2001 season. Correct?
          Yes that's right ... Cal Ripken Jr and Tony Gwynn are Contemporary players.

Comment

I don't want to change the rules of this draft, since we've already begun. IMO, the rule should be based on the best year you select for the player. Players who clearly had the best years of their career after 1913 (for pitchers - or after 1898 for hitters) or players who had their best years before 1999 shouldn't be penalized. (I also think the Modern tag year should be 1995, not 1999. Caminiti, McGwire, Sosa were all pre-1999.

You could select Barry Bonds and choose to use a year prior to 1999 and not take up a "Modern" slot.

Comment

I don't want to change the rules of this draft, since we've already begun. IMO, the rule should be based on the best year you select for the player. Players who clearly had the best years of their career after 1913 (for pitchers - or after 1898 for hitters) or players who had their best years before 1999 shouldn't be penalized. (I also think the Modern tag year should be 1995, not 1999. Caminiti, McGwire, Sosa were all pre-1999.

You could select Barry Bonds and choose to use a year prior to 1999 and not take up a "Modern" slot.
              It's more to do with the bloated career stats. I would suggest we definitely discuss this again .... but its hard to get people to debate this stuff anymore now that squid pogues cb and now ks are absent.

Saying that, I've always believed that we should dump the modern pitcher restriction. That never made any sense to me.

Comment

I definitely agree with John that it's kind of crazy not to include 1998 as a "modern" year.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  I definitely agree with John that it's kind of crazy not to include 1998 as a "modern" year.
                  There are a number of factors here.

1. The career stats are the big factor, not BY stats.

2. Players who will not qualify as modern hitter will have to have ended their careers in or before the 1998 season. How many players will have had their career year at the end of their careers? It just won't ever apply that a non modern player will have 1998 as his BY. Any player who had a juiced up BY in the late 90's will have almost certainly have played on beyond the 1999 cut off, and therefore will be classed as modern even if you pick say 1997 as his BY.

3. if we bring the date forward anymore, too many players who do not deserve to be classified in this period will be. Already there are a few moderns who really should be 'normals'. Increasing this pool would jot be right.

4. Similarly, it would be wrong to be able to get Barry Bonds juiced up career stats just because you picked one of his early career BYs.
                  Last edited by johnnya24; 01-13-2012, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    Just to clarify, even if you pick McGwire's 1997 season, he will still be classed as a modern player because he played in or after the 1999 season.

Comment

Also, we need to have a debate about maybe cutting off the modern hitter period for the next VD ... now that it's clear some semblance of normality has returned to the stats. 2009 would seem like a good date, meaning that: any player who played in any year from 1999 to 2008 (inclusive) will be classed as a Modern/Contemporary hitter. Anyone who's career finished before 1999, or after 2008 would be classed as "normal". Thoughts?

Would also like to discuss getting rid of the Contemporary Pitcher category, which makes no sense to me ... closers only really benefit 2 out of the 10 pitching categories, and with the team IP minimum, it's not like you can load up on them anyway ... and most of the SP's got hammered during the 90's and 00's ... so why we limit these players I have no idea.

Comment

God I miss vintage drafting...

DAMN MY EMPLOYER FOR BLOCKING ROTOJUNKIE

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                          God I miss vintage drafting...

DAMN MY EMPLOYER FOR BLOCKING ROTOJUNKIE
                          hopefully we'll have it as a mobile site soon, so you can access it on your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            It's more to do with the bloated career stats. I would suggest we definitely discuss this again .... but its hard to get people to debate this stuff anymore now that squid pogues cb and now ks are absent.

Saying that, I've always believed that we should dump the modern pitcher restriction. That never made any sense to me.
                            What the hell is that supposed to mean?? You say I'm argumentative?
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              What the hell is that supposed to mean?? You say I'm argumentative?
                              I'm going with inquisitive...
                              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I was going with debatable rather than inquisitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X