4. Kenley Jansen
    5. Matt Guerrier
    6. Alberto Castillo
    7. Mike MacDougal
    8. Blake Hawksworth
    9. Scott Elbert
    10. Vicente Padilla
    11. Ramon Troncoso

I'd have to imagine Kenley Jansen takes that job sooner rather than later. He set a K/9 record last year (>50 IP) of 16.0 per 9. FYI, half those guys you listed aren't even on the team any longer.

Comment

Reds closer
      Is Cordero signed? Why the Sean Marshall closing rumors?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        Reds closer
        Is Cordero signed? Why the Sean Marshall closing rumors?
        There are Marshall closing rumors because they did not re-sign the aging and increasingly ineffective Cordero. Makes sense, Marshall's been dominant the last two years.

Comment

Marshall makes a ton of sense. Tired of seeing teams overpay for closers when just about anyone can do the job. Marshall has some of the best "non-closer" skills around.

Comment

Wasn't Kuo released or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              Wasn't Kuo released or something?
              I believe so. As Hammer pointed out that list isn't very accurate. Here is what www.mlbdepthcharts.com has:

CL RHP Kenley Jansen
              SU RHP Javy Guerra
              SU RHP Matt Guerrier
              MID LHP Scott Elbert
              MID RHP Josh Lindblom
              MID LHP John Grabow
              LR RHP Blake Hawksworth
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

This has to be a Guerra vs. Jansen convo...

I have Jansen for really cheap, but dont you think Guerra did enough to convince them to keep him as the closer? I know Kenley has great stuff, but Guerra is already "proven" -- I was thinking about not keeping Jansen because of this situation (he is definitely on the border when I keep 10 in an NL only), I just thought he was being blocked...

Comment

Yeah, Jansen was back and dominant for the last couple of months last year, but they stayed with Guerra. I don't know how they'll go, but it's not uncommon for a manager to like a really overpowering guy in the set-up role, so I can see the Dodgers going in that direction. I suspect that we'll know for sure by the time ST starts. As it stands now, my money is on Guerra...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

All the Dodger talk is fun and all but feel like expanding the conversation.

What about Baltimore? The conjecture had been that Johnson would get moved to the rotation but they haven't yet backfilled the closer role and can't imagine they'll go with Gregg again.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                      All the Dodger talk is fun and all but feel like expanding the conversation.

What about Baltimore? The conjecture had been that Johnson would get moved to the rotation but they haven't yet backfilled the closer role and can't imagine they'll go with Gregg again.
                      Actually, from RotoWord today...

MASN's Roch Kubatko suspects that Jim Johnson will open the 2012 season as the Orioles' closer.
                      The O's have flirted with the idea of moving Johnson into the starting rotation, and they may still groom him as a starter at spring training, but most signs point to the 28-year-old right-handr returning to the 'pen. Johnson had a 2.67 ERA in 91 innings this past season for Baltimore, tallying nine saves in nine chances. He'll be a valuable fantasy option either way.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Right I saw that too which prompted my question. As an owner I'd love for Johnson to get the gig but low DOM closers always make me nervous and hence wanted to get some other thoughts on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Actually, from RotoWord today...

MASN's Roch Kubatko suspects that Jim Johnson will open the 2012 season as the Orioles' closer.
                          The O's have flirted with the idea of moving Johnson into the starting rotation, and they may still groom him as a starter at spring training, but most signs point to the 28-year-old right-handr returning to the 'pen. Johnson had a 2.67 ERA in 91 innings this past season for Baltimore, tallying nine saves in nine chances. He'll be a valuable fantasy option either way.
                          He's been the best reliever on that team for 2 seasons running. About f'n time the Orioles figured that out

Comment

They aren't gonna be in the hunt---they will likely go with Gregg unless they abandon JJ to the rotation thought. The only thing I feel strongly about is that the opening day closer won't be in that position 8/1. I would also likely avoid any Balt closer as whoever is annointed will go for more than my taste. (If I was rebuilding I'd take a flyer on Strop and hope the plate stops moving on him)
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              SU RHP Javy Guerra
                              SU RHP Matt Guerrier
                              Guerra and Guerrier sounds like a cheese plate.

Does anyone have a clue which of the Rangers three aging closers actually closes?

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X