2K12: Closers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by griswold View Post
    Ok, any updates on Kenley Jansen in LA and Fernando Salas in StL?

Are these guys the destined closers?
    Salas was deposed in August by Jason Motte.

Jansen will likely get the job someday, but Javy Guerra didn't do much to lose his grip on the job just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Salas was deposed in August by Jason Motte.
      Interesting because Ron Shandler says in the Forecaster that Salas will get around 23 saves.

Plus here's what it says per Ron....

"Rotated through LaRussa's closer spot with success, as Cmd spiked. Tiny ERA came from H% and S%, so it's headed
      north. But he's got closer skills, plus his 1H/2H skill consistency and dual lefty-righty dominance bode well for more
      success. As with all closers, if he gets the opportunity... UP: 40 SV"

For Motte:

"Even though a formal role-change announcement was never made, became the closer in September and converted 8
      of 9 save opps. Continuing Ctl gains and 2H H%, hr/f luck trumped GB% plunge -- and were responsible for another
      great ERA. But his BPIs have been closer-worthy for awhile, and may be enough to keep the job.
      "

And he has Motte projected at 35 saves.....

Hmmmm.....I see a problem here unless St. Louis gets 58 saves as a team.

Thoughts?

Comment

As with all the Baseball HQ projections at this point, they forecast for > 100% of playing time and this will get pared down through ST until eventually they get to 100% or close to it.

Comment

I don't think you should ever look at projections for saves, especially this early in the off season, and assume they will reach those numbers. The only thing you can take from it is that they believe Salas has the ability to close games. He still needs to have the opportunity to finish games and that's not really up to him.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

So who in the world is the backup closer in Seattle? MLBDepthCharts lists Sean Kelley. I guess George Sherrill is still around and he's done it before. Wilhelmsen seems to have a higher K rate and more velocity. I know it doesn't REALLY matter, but I can see League being traded at some point. And they already traded the guy I thought was #2 (rapist Josh Lueke)

Bullpen
            CL RHP Brandon League
            SU RHP Shawn Kelley
            SU RHP Tom Wilhelmsen BA#8
            MID LHP George Sherrill
            MID RHP Chance Ruffin BA#7 BP#10
            MID RHP Steve Delabar
            LR LHP Lucas Luetge

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              So who in the world is the backup closer in Seattle? MLBDepthCharts lists Sean Kelley. I guess George Sherrill is still around and he's done it before. Wilhelmsen seems to have a higher K rate and more velocity. I know it doesn't REALLY matter, but I can see League being traded at some point. And they already traded the guy I thought was #2 (rapist Josh Lueke)

Bullpen
              CL RHP Brandon League
              SU RHP Shawn Kelley
              SU RHP Tom Wilhelmsen BA#8
              MID LHP George Sherrill
              MID RHP Chance Ruffin BA#7 BP#10
              MID RHP Steve Delabar
              LR LHP Lucas Luetge
              Wilhelmsen and Ruffin are the two to keep an eye on, and I believe those are the two the organization will pin their hopes on inheriting the role once League is dealt (I like Wilhelmsen quite a bit, but I have doubts on Ruffin ever being a lockdown 9th inning guy even though he looks like he could be a good set-up man). Kelley's a decent 6th or 7th inning guy, but he'll never be much of a back-end reliever (he has a real problem with giving up a boatload of homeruns).

Stephen Pryor is the farm guy I'm keeping tabs on. Some scouts say he's got closer-in-the-making stuff.

Comment

I got M. Linstrom for a $1 in my NL only keeper league. With Street gone, any chance he gets the gig in Colorado?

Comment

Betancourt will close in Denver and will be very good at it

Comment

And do we have any insight on the mess in Houston? Will their smart new management team (who reads RJ regularly) realize the sunk cost of Lyon and allow Wilton Lopez to close out their 46 wins?

Comment

Who closes in Oakland?

Yes, there will be some save opportunities.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                        Who closes in Oakland?

Yes, there will be some save opportunities.
                        Well at the top of page 2, it says:

A's assistant GM David Forst said Wednesday that Grant Balfour, Fautino De Los Santos and Joey Devine will compete for the team's opening at closer.

I guess the smart money is on Balfour at this point. He's a good pitcher, a little fly ball prone but that's fine in OAK.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Who is the closer in MIN? Does Capps have the job for the time being?

Is he worth keeping at $7 in an 18 team mixed league?
                          Capps was signed to be the closer, but I have no idea how long he's going to hold onto the job. His ratios are crap, and unless he was hiding an injury, unlikely to get better. My advise would be to pay for 20 saves and hope for more...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Who is the closer in MIN? Does Capps have the job for the time being?

Is he worth keeping at $7 in an 18 team mixed league?
                            I'd say if he has the job at the time keepers are due then to me it makes sense for $7. I agree that his peripheral stats were not good at all but he wouldn't be the first closer to rack up 30+ saves with bad ratios.

Comment

In the Forecaster, "UP" is not a prediction this will happen. It is more to make you aware this could happen if a certain circumstance, or two, or three, comes to pass. It's Ron's way of telling you not to be surprised if this happens...similar to pointing out sleepers, but usually requiring things beyond the player's control, like luck, a trade, being named closer, getting increased playing time, etc.

I always look for his "UP" guys, but I don't like to pick them up unless they go pretty cheaply, and I never count on getting the "UP" projection.

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                              Interesting because Ron Shandler says in the Forecaster that Salas will get around 23 saves.

Plus here's what it says per Ron....

"Rotated through LaRussa's closer spot with success, as Cmd spiked. Tiny ERA came from H% and S%, so it's headed
                              north. But he's got closer skills, plus his 1H/2H skill consistency and dual lefty-righty dominance bode well for more
                              success. As with all closers, if he gets the opportunity... UP: 40 SV"

For Motte:

"Even though a formal role-change announcement was never made, became the closer in September and converted 8
                              of 9 save opps. Continuing Ctl gains and 2H H%, hr/f luck trumped GB% plunge -- and were responsible for another
                              great ERA. But his BPIs have been closer-worthy for awhile, and may be enough to keep the job.
                              "

And he has Motte projected at 35 saves.....

Hmmmm.....I see a problem here unless St. Louis gets 58 saves as a team.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by GTAXI View Post
                                I got M. Linstrom for a $1 in my NL only keeper league. With Street gone, any chance he gets the gig in Colorado?
                                Well, your question has been answered. He is now with Baltimore.

Comment

Working...
                                X