Week 16 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Then the Broncos must be the pre-Pop Warner era!
    The difference is that the Jets are TRYING to run a modern offense and failing miserably.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

tweet by Dallas writer Tim Cowlishaw: "The NFC East: Where a Team Swept By Eagles Meets a Team Swept By Redskins for the title."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        tweet by Dallas writer Tim Cowlishaw: "The NFC East: Where a Team Swept By Eagles Meets a Team Swept By Redskins for the title."
        That pretty much sums up the lameness of the division this year.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Brees with two picks. I guess he's not a cyborg after all.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Honest mistake there by Drew Brees, as class an act as there seems to be in the NFL.

But if you're up 22 on a division rival with 5 minutes left, you run the ball, period.
            Instead, they went for garbage-time 30 yards of passing to break a 27-yr-old NFL passing yardage record set by Dan Marino.

The weirdest part? the Saints are home again next week!

Brees had a shot to be modest and hand off, then say - and mean - he respected the game too much to break the record in such a way, so he could wait a week.

Again, he's a good guy of the league, but they just didn't realize that there was a better way.

Meanwhile, I would be amused if the Falcons and Saints met again in the playoffs, and this was the bulletin-board message by Atlanta: free whacks at the garbage-time celebrator!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

updating

9 spots decided
              still available:
              - NFC East winner (Giants or Cowboys)
              - AFC West titlist (Broncos or Raiders)
              - No. 6 seed, AFC wild card (Bengals, Titans, Raiders, or Jets)

AFC
              PATRIOTS 12-3, Jets 8-7 (Bills 6-9, Dolphins 5-10)
              RAVENS 11-4, STEELERS 11-4, Bengals 9-6 (Browns 4-11)
              TEXANS 10-5, Titans 8-7 (Jaguars 4-11, Colts 2-13)
              Broncos 8-7, Raiders 8-7 (Chargers 7-8, Chiefs 6-9)

NFC
              Giants 8-7, Cowboys 8-7 (Eagles 7-8, Redskins 5-10)
              PACKERS 14-1, LIONS 10-5 (Bears, 7-8, Vikings 3-12)
              SAINTS 12-3, FALCONS 9-6 (Panthers 6-9, Buccaneers 4-11)
              49ERS 12-3 (Seahawks 7-8, Cardinals 7-8, Rams 2-13)

………………

JOCKEYING FOR POSITION, 2012 DRAFT

Colts 2-13
              Rams 2-13

Vikings 3-12

Jaguars 4-11
              Browns 4-11
              Buccaneers 4-11

Dolphins 5-10
              Redskins 5-10

Panthers 6-9
              Chiefs 6-9
              Panthers 6-9

Week 17 highlights (all 16 games are Sun Jan 1)

RAVENS 11-4 at BENGALS 9-6
              LIONS 10-5 at PACKERS 14-1
              Chiefs 6-9 at BRONCOS 8-7
              Chargers 7-8 at RAIDERS 8-7

SUNDAY NIGHT
              COWBOYS 8-7 at GIANTS 8-7 - winner takes mediocre NFC East at 9-7

re bye issues, Patriots host Bills, Steelers visit Browns, 49ers visit Rams, Saints host Panthers

………………………….

Handing out NFL tie(breaker)s to all:
              The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

- Patriots have an AFC bye, and so do Ravens if they win or Steelers lose. Patriots are No. 1 seed unless they lose and Ravens win. Steelers would get No. 1 if they win and the other two lose.

- Broncos win the AFC West with a win. But Raiders still could win division with W and a Broncos L, OR get a wild card if they win, the Bengals lose, and either the Titans lose or the Jets win.

- Bengals could still get in if they lose, as long as Jets and either the Raiders or Broncos also lose.

- Titans of course need a win and a Bengals loss, but then have to have one of two other things happen: either Jets win and the Raiders OR the Broncos lose; or the Jets lose and the Raiders AND Broncos win.

- Jets need W and Bengals L and Titans L; AND either a Raiders L OR a Broncos L (but not both)

- Giants and Cowboys: winner wins NFC East, loser goes home.

- Packers clinched No. 1 seed.

- 49ers clinch a bye with a win, or the Saints not winning Sunday.

If all goes according to form (as if), Week 1 playoffs:
              1 Packers
              2 49ers
              6 Falcons at 3 Saints
              5 Lions at 4 Giants

1 Patriots
              2 Ravens
              6 Bengals at 3 Texans
              5 Steelers at 4 Broncos

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Honest mistake there by Drew Brees, as class an act as there seems to be in the NFL.

But if you're up 22 on a division rival with 5 minutes left, you run the ball, period.
                Instead, they went for garbage-time 30 yards of passing to break a 27-yr-old NFL passing yardage record set by Dan Marino.

The weirdest part? the Saints are home again next week!

Brees had a shot to be modest and hand off, then say - and mean - he respected the game too much to break the record in such a way, so he could wait a week.

Again, he's a good guy of the league, but they just didn't realize that there was a better way.

Meanwhile, I would be amused if the Falcons and Saints met again in the playoffs, and this was the bulletin-board message by Atlanta: free whacks at the garbage-time celebrator!
                I disagree but from an obviously biased stand point; break the record this week and take it off the board as a topic of discussion as they prepare for next week.

DRUUUUUUUU
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

If he needs 30 yards in a likely meaningless game, how is that a topic of discussion?
                  Brees likely will get more questions this week about why they were throwing in garbage time against a potential first-week and potentially pissed-off playoff opponent to break an inevitable record than he would have if he just ran the ball.

A minor tactical error, and I'm not going to overplay it, assuming the Falcons don't go nuts on it in two weeks....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

If he needs 30 yards in a likely meaningless game, how is that a topic of discussion?
                    Brees likely will get more questions this week about why they were throwing in garbage time against a potential first-week and potentially pissed-off playoff opponent to break an inevitable record than he would have if he just ran the ball.

A minor tactical error, and I'm not going to overplay it, assuming the Falcons don't go nuts on it in two weeks....
                    The Falcons lost by 29 points tonight, they need to worry about getting their own act together, not what the Saints might have done. If they dwell on Brees going out to get the record on them, they're likely to have the same result if they meet again.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

So the Broncos had to cut Orton because otherwise the lockerroom was too divisive and these things are more emotional than many think, even if Orton winds up knocking the Broncos out of the playoffs next week.

But it doesn't matter if the Saints pissed off the Falcons with a garbage-time record tonight, because it's all about what you get done on the field, and not emotions.

I'm not going to say you can't drive the truck thru the single lane, but at what point does it start to seem a bit .... convenient?

And if you want to lock in the "inside lockerroom matters are paramount, but it doesn't matter what the other team cares about what we do" answer, that's cool. That's a philosophy.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

So the Broncos had to cut Orton because otherwise the lockerroom was too divisive and these things are more emotional than many think, even if Orton winds up knocking the Broncos out of the playoffs next week.

But it doesn't matter if the Saints pissed off the Falcons with a garbage-time record tonight, because it's all about what you get done on the field, and not emotions.

I'm not going to say you can't drive the truck thru the single lane, but at what point does it start to seem a bit .... convenient?

And if you want to lock in the "inside lockerroom matters are paramount, but it doesn't matter what the other team cares about what we do" answer, that's cool. That's a philosophy.
                        I don't know if you noticed, but the Falcons got their asses handed to them physically tonight, not mentally. They were outplayed in every phase of the game, and mental preparation had nothing to do with it...the Saints were the better, faster, more physical team, period.

What the Broncos accomplished after dumping Orton is entirely a different thing...they came together as a team. Focusing on their own selves, not some outside influence.

You're attempting to compare Apples and Anvils, IMO...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

JJ, after seeing Brees get a round of applause at the post-game conference, I think you're way off on the storyline on the MNF game.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm lost.

"JJ, after seeing Brees get a round of applause at the post-game conference,"

who was applauding?

"I don't know if you noticed, but the Falcons got their asses handed to them physically tonight, not mentally."

And the best way to maximize that advantage 2 weeks from now is to score a garbage-time TD?

The Giants claimed this week that Rex Ryan mouthing off all week inspired them.

I have no problem with someone saying that 'intangibles' are important, or not.
                            I get confused when I seem to see mixed signals.

"What the Broncos accomplished after dumping Orton is entirely a different thing...they came together as a team. Focusing on their own selves, not some outside influence."

What were the Broncos focusing on in their two brutal ass-kickings, then?
                            I love the Tebow storyline, as I've noted before, but why did the Lions and Bills not fall under the spell, and win by 35 and 26 pts respectively?

So if anyone has a "these off-field things are important, but these are not" field guide, I would be intrigued.
                            Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-27-2011, 02:18 AM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              JJ, after seeing Brees get a round of applause at the post-game conference, I think you're way off on the storyline on the MNF game.
                              Don't forget the fact that it was a Monday Night game. The Saints wanted him to get his record in front of a national audience. Next week's game will only be seen by local markets and those with the Directv NFL package. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it as well. After the game, none of the Falcons players looked pissed about the decision either and I think most of them understood why he was "running up" the score.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                                Don't forget the fact that it was a Monday Night game. The Saints wanted him to get his record in front of a national audience. Next week's game will only be seen by local markets and those with the Directv NFL package. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it as well. After the game, none of the Falcons players looked pissed about the decision either and I think most of them understood why he was "running up" the score.
                                The Saints run up the score just about every chance they get so it wasnt only last night. They did it to the Giants too a few weeks back. I am not going to piss and moan about it as Atlanta shouldve gone out and done their job if they didnt like it but for whatever reason Payton/Brees dont care to slow it down and dont seem to care if it bothers anyone.
                                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                                X