X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Tiny Tim Became a Pitching Giant - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

interesting read, especially knowing how the story ends​

---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      First female to make a Division 1 College baseball roster:

https://www.mlb.com/news/olivia-pichardo-first-female-on-ncaa-division-i-baseball-roster

She is a pitcher/infielder. She throws 82 mph and is right-handed. The article says that there have been 16 females on college baseball rosters before but this is the 1st one at a Div. 1 school.
      Genevieve Beacom (@BeacomGenevieve) / Twitter

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I find this amusing and uplifting:

https://www.inquirer.com/life/jim-fu...20is%20a%20dad.

I would have thought that you werent allowed play after a certain age. Maybe only in NCAA? If not the first 56-y/o junior college baseball player, he's probably the 1st one to miss practice because of a cardiologist appointment.

Comment

I find this amusing and uplifting:

https://www.inquirer.com/life/jim-fu...20is%20a%20dad.

I would have thought that you werent allowed play after a certain age. Maybe only in NCAA? If not the first 56-y/o junior college baseball player, he's probably the 1st one to miss practice because of a cardiologist appointment.
          Thanks, really cool article. I'm also 56 and considering getting into an over 50 baseball league, so it is some inspiration.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I find this amusing and uplifting:

https://www.inquirer.com/life/jim-fullan-us-postal-service-retiree-returns-to-college-baseball-20230310.html#:~:text=Jim%20Fullan%2C%2056%2C%20wo rked%20for,to%20college%20and%20play%20baseball.&t ext=00%20a.m.%20ET-,BLUE%20BELL%2C%20Pa.,%2C%2056%2C%20is%20a%20dad.

Well the article inspired me anyway...I just contacted two leagues in my area about joining. I'm not sure if I will do it. Been a long time since i played baseball
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

First female to make a Division 1 College baseball roster:

https://www.mlb.com/news/olivia-pichardo-first-female-on-ncaa-division-i-baseball-roster

She is a pitcher/infielder. She throws 82 mph and is right-handed. The article says that there have been 16 females on college baseball rosters before but this is the 1st one at a Div. 1 school.
              Her name is Olivia Pichardo and she just had her first appearance in a game yesterday. It was as a pinch hitter and, unfortunately, she grounded out. D1Baseball said they'll do a story on her next week. I will try to remember to look for it.

Comment

Her name is Olivia Pichardo and she just had her first appearance in a game yesterday. It was as a pinch hitter and, unfortunately, she grounded out. D1Baseball said they'll do a story on her next week. I will try to remember to look for it.
                Here is the D1Baseball article on Pichardo. Most of their content is subscription-only but I'm pleased to see this article is not:

Brown's Olivia Pichardo became the first woman to appear in a Division I college baseball game this past weekend. Walter Villa tells the behind-the-scenes story of Pichardo's journey.

The Div. 1 college baseball season begins in mid-Feb but the reason she didnt make her debut until mid-March is because Ivy League rules restrict the number of players that you can take to road games and Brown's home opener was not until March 17, which was when she made her first appearance. I dont know if she has appeared in a game since them. Pichardo is 5'7", 160 lbs and LHed. She is from Queens, NY and is of Dominican heritage. She seems to be an OFer but also throws in the hi 80's.

Comment

• This is one of the funnier baseball plays I've seen in a while. The entire half-inning is included but the good stuff begins at 0:32:

A trip to the local Pearle Vision office would seem beneficial.

Comment

• Independent research indicating funny business w the MLB baseballs in recent years:

I'd never heard of Dr. Meredith Wills before but she sounds like an interesting person. I also was not previously familiar w this particular YT channel.

Of course, the larger question that comes to mind in light of this is that if MLB's front office is lying, doing coverups and obstructing research re: their baseballs, what else are they lying about and trying to cover up?

Comment

• This is absolutely incredible and I had never heard of this story before:

What an electric performance!

Comment

• The Korean Baseball Organization, which is the Korean major league, plans to use robot umps in 2024:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...and%20fairness.

Comment

• The LIDOM, which is the Dominican Winter Baseball League, played a series (Aguilas and Licey) at NYC's CitiField over the weekend. It drew an average of over 30K fans per game. Here is a video that discusses this and the potential for future Caribbean winter leagues series at MLB ballparks:

I went to a couple of games in Puerto Rico in 2004 when the Expos played a few series there. I never saw the official attendance figures but it looked like there couldnt have been more than about 12K fans at either game. And the fans cheered more for the visiting teams (Marlins and Mets) than the "hometown" Expos. Very surprising to me that Caribbean winter league games, which feature former MLBers and prospects, drew at least 2.5 times more fans in the USA than actual MLB teams playing regular season games in the Caribbean did. Particularly since the ticket prices at CitiField were about $47 and at the game I attended in San Juan they were only about $10, IIRC.

Comment

• Interesting article that gives hope to fans of small market teams.

How the collapse of the regional sports network is affecting MLB economics now and in the future

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-col...155227283.html

"But as part of the ultimate end goal, according to people with knowledge of the league’s thinking, all media revenue would be centralized and distributed more equally, leveling the payroll disparity that is believed to be a detriment to baseball reaching its full business potential."

"Eventually, MLB would like to have both national and local broadcast revenue run through the league’s media departments. That would be a significant change for a sport that has long been defined by the differing behavior of big markets and small markets and in which the value of the local broadcasts has been a major source of that disparity."
                            Last edited by madducks; 12-05-2023, 01:33 AM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X