The Freese HR ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Freese HR ball

David Freese hit a walk off HR in World Series game #6. A fan retrieved the ball, and offered to return it. Freese gave him an autographed bat, had a picture taken with him holding the ball, and the whole team autographed a ball for him.

Who has the more valuable asset? The HR ball has obvious value, but a ball signed by the whole team, with the supporting documentation, is a big deal too.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

the ball was easily the most valuable asset, not even close.

There have been less than 15 walkoff home runs in World Series history, and some are more important than others (who remembers Scott Podsednik's walkoff jobbie in Game 2 of '05?) The fact that it was Game 6 and that it was a dramatic comeback puts it up there as one of the most important home runs in baseball history. And memorabilia enthusiasts judge the ball to be the most valuable part of that play (over the bat, let's say).

The Cards can sign hundreds of team balls, and depending on who ends up as a HOFer will determine its value. They can artificially create hundreds of these.

But the ball is one of a kind. End of discussion.

Comment

Darren Rovell of CNBC tweeted last night that the Giants didn't have a team WS ball last year because Lincecum wanted too much for his autograph, that Pujols and Rolen prevented a 2006 Cardinals ball, and that Pujols again was likely to prevent a 2011 Cardinals "team" ball.

If so, that's great news for this dude - he could be the only one to have such a ball!

UPDATE:
      You can buy a Pujols World Series autographed ball - for $499.99:

A Freese ball is $199.99 (or add $100 to have him add "World Series MVP" to the autograph):

Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Darren Rovell of CNBC tweeted last night that the Giants didn't have a team WS ball last year because Lincecum wanted too much for his autograph, that Pujols and Rolen prevented a 2006 Cardinals ball, and that Pujols again was likely to prevent a 2011 Cardinals "team" ball.

If so, that's great news for this dude - he could be the only one to have such a ball!

UPDATE:
        You can buy a Pujols World Series autographed ball - for $499.99:

A Freese ball is $199.99 (or add $100 to have him add "World Series MVP" to the autograph):

http://www.steinersports.com/david-f...-baseball.html
        That was my impression as well. The team ball is one of a kind, with great povinance.

I get the message though. In 50 years the team ball will be worth thousands, and the HR will be worth tens of thousands.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

What would the three pieces be worth now, given that Freese is MVP?

1) Photo of man with Freese, in the postgame clubhouse, holding the ball.
          2) World Series team ball, fully documented and one of a kind.
          3) Bat signed by the WS MVP.

How much does the grouping and the story add to the value?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
          X