AAA All Star game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAA All Star game

Living in PCL land I am more apt to see a 15-13 game than a 3-0 game like the All-Star game last night. Tough to give too much insight when pitchers go 2 innings or batters get up twice so take these observations as you will.

Not too much news on the hitters, only 9 hits total. All the scoring was on a 3 run HR in the 2nd inning by Russ Canzler of Durham. In any IL park it would have been a long fly out, maybe on the warning track but here it cleared the fence by about 5 feet. Jason Kipnis (Indians) was 1-2 and led off the game with a walk, lots of close pitches he took as the umpire seemed to have a tight zone. Devin Mesoraco (Reds) was 1-2, the hit was solid and the out was a easy grounder. I won't mind seeing him in Cincy next year. The IL shortstops were Ray Olmedo and Matt Antonelli. Hard to believe Antonelli is only 26 and may have some future in the big leagues. I think I had him on my team 5 years ago. The IL had 5 hits in the first two innings, 1 after that. For the PCL there aren't a lot of prospect names there. Collin Cowgill was 0-3 and didn't hit anything well. Put me in the unimpressed column but remember it was only 1 game vs. all star pitchers.

Zach McAllister of Columbus (Indians) started, 2 IP with 1 hit, 1 BB and 2 Ks but a couple of nice defensive plays kept him out of trouble in the first. Adam Warren of Scranton (Yankees) looked good, 2 IP, 1 hit, 1 K. Constantly hitting 93-94 on the gun with some mid 80s off speed pitches. The one hit was a solid hit but everyone else looked overmatched. I usually rate Yankee prospects as overrated just because of NY hype but he looked good. Shane Lindsay (White Sox) threw some serious heat, hit 99 once and 97 popped up too many times to count. But he walked 2 of the 4 batter he faced. Checked his stats as he came into the game, 40 IP, 17 hits allowed with 46 Ks and I was thinking this dude must be good. Then I saw the 35 walks. PCL pitchers were mostly non-prospects and pitched well but nothing exciting. Lots of grounders and easy fly balls. Did see Dana Eveland and Willie Eyre.

Russ Canzler -- could be your Rays 1B next season if they don't find an out-of-org solution

Comment

Working...
    X