Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Jeter was a very good player who was incredibly fortunate to be thrust into the perfect situation at exactly the right time. I can certainly see where Yankee fans believe him to be the best player in the last 35 years because he's represented the team and its success very admirably. But if you talk about the best players in that time period, there are a lot of players that pass the sniff test just as easily as Jeter (and perhaps even moreso). There's no way any New York fan can come in here and say with a straight face that they're not biased when they say Jeter is the best player they've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Meanwhile A-Rod will get his 3,00th hit in 2013, a couple of days before the All-Star break and a couple of days after he begs out of the All-Star Game, collecting five hits including the game-winner plus a stolen base and a caught stealing.
      No, ARod will have 2999 hits before the all-star break. Then, during the All-Star game a ruling will be announced on an error from two days before being changed to a hit for ARod. Then, as he likes to do, Arod will upstage the All-Star game by celebrating his 3000th hit on the field during the actual All-Star game.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        No, ARod will have 2999 hits before the all-star break. Then, during the All-Star game a ruling will be announced on an error from two days before being changed to a hit for ARod. Then, as he likes to do, Arod will upstage the All-Star game by celebrating his 3000th hit on the field during the actual All-Star game.
        Can we all at least agree that this was the best post in this thread, hands down?

Comment

Jeter has never been my favorite Yankee, in part because he's always seem so corporate, and in part because he was always the favorite Yankee of choice for women and children, etc. Of course, I'm a lifelong Yankee fan who has never lived outside of the NY area, so what follows comes with that caveat.

Baseball is a team sport. It's a team sport that more than any other team sport worships individual statistics. But when we look back in 20, 30, 50, 100 years, the players of this generation will be perceived based on a combination of factors including individual accomplishments, team accomplishments, cultural significance, etc. Derek Jeter is not the best individual baseball player of the last 30 years. The players who most stand out for their individual accomplishments are guys like Bonds, A-Rod, Griffey, Sosa, Manny, Pujols, Clemens, Maddux, R.Johnson, Pedro, Mariano. Of those, of course, only Mariano matches Jeter for team accomplishments, and Jeter has always had more cultural significance than Mo beyond the diamond. A lot of the guys on the list above, of course, also have PED clouds over their individual accomplishments, where Jeter does not.

So when it comes down to baseball history, I think Jeter has to be considered as potentially the most important non-tainted player of his era in MLB.

Comment

That's an understandable point. You can't write the history of this era without spending a significant amount of time on Jeter.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

well sure, if you're going to say that the most important player by definition has to play for the Yankees since the Yankees won the most World Series, I can see that.

I think the best non-tainted player (not limiting to position player) of this generation is Greg Maddux. Maddux won four straight Cy Young awards and was clearly one of the best pitchers in the league for a long stretch in the 90s.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                well sure, if you're going to say that the most important player by definition has to play for the Yankees since the Yankees won the most World Series, I can see that.
                It's amusing to watch delusional Yankees fans gush about their self-created and self-perpetuating baseball Camelot, oblivious to to the objective realities that make their little fantasy possible. They're so immersed in it, and so invested in it, they can't even comprehend the world outside their fishbowl.

Jeter's "cultural significance" - LMAO. As if anybody outside of Yankees fanboys and East coast sports media fellators give a rip about that. If he spent his career as a Kansas City Royal, these clowns wouldn't give two sh!ts about Derek Jeter.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  I think the best non-tainted player (not limiting to position player) of this generation is Greg Maddux. Maddux won four straight Cy Young awards and was clearly one of the best pitchers in the league for a long stretch in the 90s.
                  Agreed. And, like Jeter, he was not really the most athletic, most flashy player. They have similar workmanlike approaches to their game.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    It's amusing to watch delusional Yankees fans gush about their self-created and self-perpetuating baseball Camelot, oblivious to to the objective realities that make their little fantasy possible. They're so immersed in it, and so invested in it, they can't even comprehend the world outside their fishbowl.

Jeter's "cultural significance" - LMAO. As if anybody outside of Yankees fanboys and East coast sports media fellators give a rip about that. If he spent his career as a Kansas City Royal, these clowns wouldn't give two sh!ts about Derek Jeter.
                    It is what it is, though. During the mid-1970s, the Big Red Machine was the dominant team. Before them it was the Oakland A's. The players on those teams were more important in baseball history than similarly talented players on other teams. Just as in NBA history, the key players on the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Spurs teams that won multiple titles are more important to NBA history than similarly talented players on less successful teams. I don't have a problem with anyone saying that the Yankees have unfair advantages. It doesn't change the fact, however, that championship teams and their stars leave a more significant imprint on the history of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      It is what it is, though. During the mid-1970s, the Big Red Machine was the dominant team. Before them it was the Oakland A's. The players on those teams were more important in baseball history than similarly talented players on other teams. Just as in NBA history, the key players on the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Spurs teams that won multiple titles are more important to NBA history than similarly talented players on less successful teams. I don't have a problem with anyone saying that the Yankees have unfair advantages. It doesn't change the fact, however, that championship teams and their stars leave a more significant imprint on the history of the game.
                      Very well said. The man is, in part, a product of his surroundings and opportunities and few players have ever taken advantage of them as well as Jeter has.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I have no problem with a Yankees fan saying anything you've said here, so long as they can fairly acknowledge that, unlike the Reds or the A's, their team achieves their "dominance" courtesy of the most ridiculous competitive advantage in the history of modern-day professional sports. You've always been willing to admit to this, so I don't lump you in with Yankees fans of the dopey "We're awesome because we have rings!" ilk.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                        X