Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    El Capitan did with panache.
    Exactly. I'm neither a Jeter hater nor advocate, but I do admire his style. HR for 3000 off one of the most talented pitchers in the AL. 5 for 5. GW RBI. 2 runs, 2 RBI, and a stolen base.

That's style.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Now I'm going to order TWO baseballs for $699.99 each!
      I imagine my "in your face" line would be recognized as a joke. Jeter already had 4 hits at that point including a HR for 3,000.

Meanwhile A-Rod will get his 3,00th hit in 2013, a couple of days before the All-Star break and a couple of days after he begs out of the All-Star Game, collecting five hits including the game-winner plus a stolen base and a caught stealing.

Media and fans nationwide will then rip A-Rod for "disrespecting the fans who voted him into the lineup, and disrespecting the game," even though he recently had returned from the DL, because obviously from his play he will be recognized as being healthy enough to appear in the All-Star Game.

Shakespeare couldn't have written up this duo's script any better.
      You must be one of those people who talk cause you love to hear the sound of your voice.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

He turns the volume low when he types.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Judge stay out of the circle jerk you might get hit with shrapnel.

Comment

Surprised it wasn't mentioned that the guy that caught the ball gave it to the Yankees without asking for anything in return. The Yankees still gave him 4 tickets to every yankee game and possible playoff game the rest of the season. The kid could have sold it for a ton of money (estimated 250k) but opted to do the "right thing" instead.

He deserved this," Lopez said in an interview on the YES Network. "He worked so hard for this. He's been in the league for so long. I'm not really the kind to take something away from him."

Watching his interview during the game he is a college grad that is working at a cell phone store and apparently struggling for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
              Judge stay out of the circle jerk you might get hit with shrapnel.
              How many more "finishing game outs" until K-Rod's option kicks in?

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                Surprised it wasn't mentioned that the guy that caught the ball gave it to the Yankees without asking for anything in return. The Yankees still gave him 4 tickets to every yankee game and possible playoff game the rest of the season. The kid could have sold it for a ton of money (estimated 250k) but opted to do the "right thing" instead.

He deserved this," Lopez said in an interview on the YES Network. "He worked so hard for this. He's been in the league for so long. I'm not really the kind to take something away from him."

Watching his interview during the game he is a college grad that is working at a cell phone store and apparently struggling for money.
                That is very cool, I was wondering what was going to happen with the ball. Sure he didn't get cash for the ball but he could sell the tickets he receives for some cash. I'm not trying to diminish what he did in any way, but just looking at it from a practical stand point.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Is that a little hyperbole BK? Surely you have seen ARod, who is a much better SS any way you draw one up.

J
                  Hyperbole? Not at all. So many have lost sight of what the game is, you amongst them. It's sad.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Well don't you look stupid now.
                    John tends to whenever the topic is the Yankees, lol.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      That is very cool, I was wondering what was going to happen with the ball. Sure he didn't get cash for the ball but he could sell the tickets he receives for some cash. I'm not trying to diminish what he did in any way, but just looking at it from a practical stand point.
                      I hope he gets something worthwhile ($$-wise), class act. Maybe a few of those expensive baseballs!
                      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I don't think there's much way to analytically support Jeter being anywhere near the top of a credible list of baseball players in the last 20 years.

However, a fan of a team certainly can prioritize their emotion for the player above all that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                          Hyperbole? Not at all. So many have lost sight of what the game is, you amongst them. It's sad.
                          I don't really consider myself a Yankee-hater, and I like Jeter just fine, and I am impressed by his achievement. But, why does all humor disappear when we talk about the venerable Jeter? The Captain! It's a game, for crying out loud. This reverential respect for this player is silly. He's a great player, sure, and a wonderful face for the Yankee organization, but it's like Pearl Jam or Sting; as soon as they started taking themselves so seriously, they stopped being cool to anyone other than they're most strident fans. People hate the Yankees because the Yankees -and, in turn, their fans- appear to already love themselves so very much.

I'm sure you can dismiss me as a dispassionate Californian who doesn't really appreciate "real" baseball the way New Yorkers and Yankees fans do, but then, I guess that's my point anyway. You're right. I don't like self-indulgence in my entertainment, and ballplayers (beyond Robinson, Clemente, and the like) aren't heroes to me, the same way Eddie Vedder isn't.

Note: This came out stronger than I intended. I really harbor no ill-will toward Jeter and I'm not trying to demean his outstanding accomplishment. I just find all the pomp somewhat ridiculous. It's like the Pope just got his 3000th hit.

Comment

I take great offense to comparing Jeter to Pearl Jam. But in all seriousness, I've never got the impression that Jeter has taken himself too seriously to be compared to that tool Eddie Vedder. The love for Jeter will probably always cause him to be ranked higher on lists by his fans then the stats would indicate. I don't see any real harm in that.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              I don't really consider myself a Yankee-hater, and I like Jeter just fine, and I am impressed by his achievement. But, why does all humor disappear when we talk about the venerable Jeter? The Captain! It's a game, for crying out loud. This reverential respect for this player is silly. He's a great player, sure, and a wonderful face for the Yankee organization, but it's like Pearl Jam or Sting; as soon as they started taking themselves so seriously, they stopped being cool to anyone other than they're most strident fans. People hate the Yankees because the Yankees -and, in turn, their fans- appear to already love themselves so very much.

I'm sure you can dismiss me as a dispassionate Californian who doesn't really appreciate "real" baseball the way New Yorkers and Yankees fans do, but then, I guess that's my point anyway. You're right. I don't like self-indulgence in my entertainment, and ballplayers (beyond Robinson, Clemente, and the like) aren't heroes to me, the same way Eddie Vedder isn't.

Note: This came out stronger than I intended. I really harbor no ill-will toward Jeter and I'm not trying to demean his outstanding accomplishment. I just find all the pomp somewhat ridiculous. It's like the Pope just got his 3000th hit.
                              Its funny because I think its the opposite. There are just some yankee haters that are so jealous of the Yankee success or are bitter of the Yankee ability to pay their way to championships that they can't give a guy like Jeter the credit he deserves and then they want a treat when they throw us a bone by saying that they think Mariano is the greatest closer of all time (not referring to anyone specific in this thread).

In the end, no normal Yankee fan considers Jeter an all time great hitter or an all-time great fielder, but he is an all-time great leader and one of the top five or ten all-around SS to have ever played the game. It isn't like there is a long list of players to get 3,000 hits, let alone 3,000 hits as a Shortstop.

And the fact that a Yankee fan, who doesn't appear to be wealthy, admired Jeter so much that he tossed the money away out of respect for Jeter should tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                                And the fact that a Yankee fan, who doesn't appear to be wealthy, admired Jeter so much that he tossed the money away out of respect for Jeter should tell you something.
                                That Yankee fans are morons?

Comment

Working...
                                X