The Big Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Boxing Thread

Klitschko vrs Haye, this Saturday afternoon EST.

This has the makings of a great fight ... the first real heavyweight "contest" since Lennox Lewis retired.

Wladamir Klitschko has been milking the heavyweight title fighting bums for way too long, and David Haye might be the first real fighter-in-his-prime that Klitschko has ever fought. It's hard to go from fighting nobodies to fighting a contender ... especially one with Haye's middlieweight type skill set (speed, power, high energy).

Haye at 15/8 seems like a very good bet to me. I expect it to be quite a cagey fight despite all the usual bravado about KO's.

Spoken like a true Englishman.

Only change Haye has, is if he catches Klitschko early (but I seriously doubt that happens).

Klitschko hasn't been in serious trouble since 2003/2004 (the Sanders and Brewster losses) and has beat everyone put in front of him since, and done so by knockout, for the most part.

Haye hasn't fought anyone remotely decent in 3+ years and nothing seems to indicate he can beat Klitschko in this spot.

Comment

I'm not English :mad:

The heavyweight division is shockingly poor ... full of bums and non-fights. Neither have fought anyone ... because there is no-one to fight.

But that was an impressive performance from Klitschko. You could see Emanuel Steward all over that performance ... just like he did with Lennox Lewis. He kept his stance closed and his jab out in front the whole fight. He didn't have the looseness of previous fights that would have given Haye a chance. He just held his form, used his size, weight and reach, and wouldn't let Haye unload. You could see the concentration in Klitschko's face the whole time "don't let him in ... don't let him in" ... and he never let up for 12 rounds. Brilliant tactical "boxing" from Klitchko ... Emanuel Stewart is a great coach. Boring as usual ... which is why I want him to lose sooo bad. He has two F'ing punches ... jab and right hand ... nothing else! Lennox Lewis had similar physical attributes, and another massive punishing jab ... but Lewis could unload from all angles.

Haye needed to really let loose and take more risks ... he hurt Klitschko a few times, but the odds of him winning the fight by points beforehand were 8-1 ... that says it all ... if he really wanted the belts, he should have went hell for leather from the 2nd / 3rd round. He needed a KO.

Haye needs to go back down to cruiser-weight ... he will dominate that division ... he belongs there. He was too small to back up Klitschko for more than a few minutes here and there. Haye is actually a talented fighter ... but in the right division ... you can't cede 2 stone to a fighter like Klitschko.
      Last edited by johnnya24; 07-02-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

heavyweight boxing is dead
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Boxers really should do their talking with their fists ... errrr ... and webcams? This is gold ...

Comment

Just watched the Mayweather - Ortiz fight ...

What the hell was the referee doing? Horrible that Mayweather was allowed to walk away with a victory there. He was winning the fight easy, and Ortiz did try to headbutt him, but there is no excuses for knocking a guy out on the break. Shouldn't be allowed.

In the aftermath ... Mayweather = classless bitch squaring up to a 70 year old man / Ortiz = honourable and classy despite being robbed

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

Mayweather = classless bitch
              Yep...
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Wow, just caught this, Mayweather really looked like a stooge. And terrible job by that ref, what the hell was he looking at?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Cotto vrs Mayweather

Really want to see Mayweather getting his ass whipped. Don't see it happening ... but I can hope. Bookies offering 1/8 Mayweather | 5/1 Cotto.

Comment

Mayweather versus Alvarez should be a cracking fight this weekend ...

Mayweather 1/3
                    Alvarez 12/5

It's been a while since Mayweather was only 1/3 on

Comment

Yawn...

Comment

Anyone else watching Mayweather - Maidana?

Great fight through 5 ...

------------

Thought Mayweather won a very close fight by a couple of rounds. Not sure how one judge gave to Mayweather by 6 rounds. Such a brilliant technician.
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 05-04-2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          All boxing is dead
                          Fixed...as are most of the fights. What a horrible "sport" this has become.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Fixed...as are most of the fights. What a horrible "sport" this has become.
                            There are actually lots of high quality fighters in the middle and lower divisions, and many good contests. Sadly the neutrals still judge the quality of the sport via the heavyweight division (which has sucked for decades).

Comment

Boxing's not quite dead yet ... Froch - Groves II is tonight at Wembley ... 90,000 sell out. The first fight was terrific ... maybe not the class and poise of a Mayweather showpiece, but a good old fashioned seesaw brawl ... with the compulsory controversial ending. Looking forward to this.

First time I've re-watched it ... shocking refereeing.
                              Last edited by johnnya24; 05-31-2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X