No announcement yet.

Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a 3 CD, 1 DVD document of the 1974 tour. Just came out.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Just found this out about Long May You Run:

Neil's beloved Pontiac hearse, "Mort" (a.k.a. "Mortimer Hearseburg"), was the inspiration for this song. Neil drove "Mort" from Toronto to Los Angeles, where he met Stephen Stills and formed Buffalo Springfield.

Neil was in Canada driving to Sudbury when 'Mort' broke down in Blind River, June 1965. (Which is contradictory to the lyrics; "well it was back in Blind River, in 1962, when I last saw you alive").

Comment

• Did anyone draft this song? I love it.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Cobain's Ghost took the officially released version in the 7th round.

This older version was slated for a 1986 Buffalo Springfield reunion that was never pulled off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Just found this out about Long May You Run:

Neil's beloved Pontiac hearse, "Mort" (a.k.a. "Mortimer Hearseburg"), was the inspiration for this song. Neil drove "Mort" from Toronto to Los Angeles, where he met Stephen Stills and formed Buffalo Springfield.

Neil was in Canada driving to Sudbury when 'Mort' broke down in Blind River, June 1965. (Which is contradictory to the lyrics; "well it was back in Blind River, in 1962, when I last saw you alive").
            Your memory fades when you get old, but I seem to recall in Neil's biography, "Shakey", a story claiming that when Neil got to LA he was cruising around looking for Stills, which is pretty ambitious given the size of LA. Neil is heading one way, Stills is on the same street heading the other way. Stills sees this cat driving a hearse, and figures it must be Neil, so he whips his car around and chases the hearse down. Thus the two musicians and Springfield is formed. Or so I remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24
              Heart skipped a beat when they thread got bumped.
              Mine too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                Your memory fades when you get old, but I seem to recall in Neil's biography, "Shakey", a story claiming that when Neil got to LA he was cruising around looking for Stills, which is pretty ambitious given the size of LA. Neil is heading one way, Stills is on the same street heading the other way. Stills sees this cat driving a hearse, and figures it must be Neil, so he whips his car around and chases the hearse down. Thus the two musicians and Springfield is formed. Or so I remember.
                Yep. And Neil had Bruce Palmer with him, so Stills was like, "OMG, Neil AND a bass player!"

Comment

• Redraft.

Comment

• Just saw Dolly Parton and friends perform "After the Goldrush" on the Grammys. Once they started singing it I told my wife (a huge Dolly fan) "wow, a Neil Young song!" to which she replied "she did write a lot of songs for other people". Tomorrow I begin my search for wife #2.

Comment

• Neil Young’s Unheard ‘70s Album ‘Homegrown’ Will Finally be Released

Woo Hoo!

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        Just saw Dolly Parton and friends perform "After the Goldrush" on the Grammys. Once they started singing it I told my wife (a huge Dolly fan) "wow, a Neil Young song!" to which she replied "she did write a lot of songs for other people". Tomorrow I begin my search for wife #2.
                        We never did find out if the search was successful.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Neil Young’s Unheard ‘70s Album ‘Homegrown’ Will Finally be Released

Woo Hoo!
                          I had given up hope for this. A ton of his unreleased sessions from the '70s became bootlegs or leaked out in dribs and drabs, but this never did. Can't wait.

Comment

• A little late to this song, "Ramada Inn" is fucking excellent! Been listening to it for the last two weeks.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Because we're in lockdown and I'm bored and have a lot of time on my hands, I made a list of my top 100 Neil Young songs. I'll be posting one a day on Facebook (when I remember) and when I do, I'll add it to this thread because why not.

100. Lookout Joe (Tonight's the Night, 1975)
                              This song appears on a concept album but isn't actually part of the concept; it was added when the record company decided to release Tonight's the Night after shelving it for 2 years. But it has the same worn-out, world-weary feel as the rest of the songs, and adds a bit of wistfulness as it addresses Vietnam veterans who are strugging to avoid addiction and hopelessness.

Comment

• Mith, I finished this list mere minutes before you made your post. Funny timing.

99. Ramada Inn (Psychedelic Pill, 2012)
                                There aren't that many songs from this millenium that made the list, thanks to the amazing work Neil did in the previous one. But this, the standout track from his 2012 reunion with Crazy Horse, where he just let everyone do their thing, is deserving. Not as in-your-face as most of his guitar blowouts from the 20th century (or a thrilling one from earlier in the 21st), this one slowly grows on you, and by about 8 minutes in you're on a fascinating, mesmerizing journey. This is the only song on my list that did not exist when we did this draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X