Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: Neil Young song draft

98. Look Out for My Love (Comes a Time, 1978)
    Crazy Horse is usually saved for Neil's most raucous outings, but here they show how they can play with grace. The melody is lovely and there are all kinds of memorable snippets in the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Because we're in lockdown and I'm bored and have a lot of time on my hands, I made a list of my top 100 Neil Young songs. I'll be posting one a day on Facebook (when I remember) and when I do, I'll add it to this thread because why not.

97. Get Back to the Country (Old Ways, 1985; with Waylon Jennings)
    Neil tried out a number of different genres in the '80s, usually with disappointing results. His country album, Old Ways, was no exception. It was mostly corny and overproduced, with the exception of this barnburner collaboration with Waylon Jennings, which would have fit in just fine on any of the better "outlaw country" records of the '70s.
    Live, this material -- and other country-style songs he wrote around this time that didn't make the record -- really soared with the crack backing band he put together, the International Harvesters. More on that in a later entry. Believe it or not, I have seen this song performed live (December 2008 at MSG).

96. Homefires (unreleased until next month; written and first performed in 1974)
    In 1974, Neil wrote a series of heartbreaking songs about the end of his relationship with the mother of his oldest child. This is the most devastating. They were intended for inclusion on an album called Homegrown, which he described as "the other side of Harvest," and some, including this one, were performed on that year's CSNY reunion tour. The couplet "I'm free to give my love/but you're not the one I'm thinking of" is a real gut punch.
    As you might expect, an entire collection of these kinds of songs would be a real downer, so in 1975 Neil shelved Homegrown and his label put out Tonight's the Night, which it had shelved 2 years earlier, instead. Many of Neil's unreleased sessions and albums (and there are MANY) leaked out legitimately or illegitimately over the years, but Homegrown never did. But it's finally getting an official release next month as part of his Archives series.
    Until then, there are a few live versions of Homefires on Youtube. Of course I picked the one from Philly. Sadly, I was not at that show.