Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    Aside from Hawks and Doves I can't disagree with any of this. I'm not a huge fan of Sugar Mountain (it's #111 for me) because the lyrics are trite compared with his other iconic acoustic songs, and to me, lyrics matter more with the acoustic stuff than the electric stuff. But it's one of his greatest melodies. (And he wrote it in 1965 at age 20.) Side 2 of Hawks and Doves is just one long formulaic country song to me. What makes the title track stick out?
    I just love the twanging guitar sound throughout the song.and the fiddle! And I am a big country music fan
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Great job. I would never even attempt this with Neil or Bob.

I didn't realize as many people rated Powderfinger as highly as I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        If you change your mind, we're the first in line.
        I think Chance should take this one.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          My daughters have watched the Mama Mia series a couple times this summer, I can get them to make a top 10
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• ABBA TOP 10

1. Does Your Mother Know
            2. S.O.S
            3. Dancing Queen
            4. Waterloo
            5. Knowing Me Knowing You
            6. Mamma Mia
            7. Take a Chance on Me
            8. Lay All Your Love On Me
            9. Money, Money, Money
            10. Gimme Gimme Gimme
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Neil writes You can't be 20 on Sugar Mountain though your thinking that you're leaving there too soon in 1965 at the age of 20.

The lyrics are not trite but of moving into the very real and hard world of adult hood. So much so that Joni Mitchell felt the need to write a song in reply to her friend Neil. That song is Circle Game.
                I know all that. I’m just not moved by it to the extent that many people are.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  I know all that. I’m just not moved by it to the extent that many people are.
                  From 1964 to 1972 we had to grow up fast. Draft age was 18-24. 2.2 million were drafted in that time frame.

I am not being critical of you at all. I am just explaining how some people are moved by a song like this.

Comment

• One of the most famous Neil Young bootlegs is the recording of his solo show at a Greenwich Village club called The Bottom Line, recorded in the early hours of May 16, 1974 in a surprise appearance after a Leon Redbone and Ry Cooder show. Taking the stage around 2:30AM with nothing but his guitar, […]
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Great news. He’s done a ton of work on the archives this year (makes sense since he can’t tour.)
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                      X